The new rating system

I note that you now only can give ratings below 5 if you have written a comment. I like that, in the way that more people will add comments. But it feels a bit unsymmetric, why should I be allowed to give high ratings without telling whats so good about the image.. I think this 5 and up system without comments will lead to overratings. Why not use 4-6 without commenting and 1-10 if you have commented ?

I really like Daniel's suggestion and agree with his points. Ratings on the "extreme" ends of the spectrum deserve comment, good or bad.

The concern that I have though is that when we have an excellent photo that drives people to wanting to rate it with 9's or 10's, we're going to end up seeing lots of comments to the effect of, "I love it!", "This is a great photo", or "Nothing to say, just wanted to rate it 9/10."

I definately agree that the new system is (and already has) inflated the ratings. Why not go the extra step, and simply require EVERYONE to comment? We all like to get feedback. Couldn't you arrange the photocritique generator so that you have to have a comment, or it simply doesn't compute?