The intricacies of hauling everything everywhere

psychophoto

So by now I've gotten pretty good at packing my camera gear efficiently in a fairly

convenient manner. All my medium format stuff goes on one case, all the

accessories, gaff tape, etc go in another. However, now that I've bought strobes, I

swear I can't keep track of everything. Power packs, heads, stands, umbrellas, grid

spots, etc - just seems like verything constantly wants to overflow and get

complicated.

So what I want to know, I guess, is what tips you might have for moving around by

car with a complete lighting system. By lighting system I mean two power packs,

three heads, light modifiers, extension cords, stands, etc. IOW, a whole heck of a lot

of things that always seem to want to get out of order. I have a Tenba air case that

one power pack and the heads all fit in, and a Music Industries cart to put everything

on, but I swear something's still missing. Ideas? Anything short of selling the strobes

or buying a Humvee to put everything in will be considered. Thanks.

I use Lightware, Anvil, Zarges, & Pelican cases but I don't think that is quite what you

are asking about. i think you are asking about packing strategies! And when packing

the best tactic is to pack strategically. Think about how you arrangethe gear so that

whe nyou get to your location in all comes out in the order you'll need it to set up,

such as puting your stands on top of the cables and gels and softboxes and

umbrellas.<P>

I am a firm believer David, in NOT putting all of your lighting gear in one case. I

travel with as many as 4 packs and up to 12 heads (yes this is insane). Each pack has

it's own case, into which the pack and two heads go, along with the power cord, A

long sync cable (just in case something happens to my LPA Design PocketWizards ,

which travel in a camera/ electronics/ filters/ film bag), one head extension cable, an

umbrella reflector for each head, and at least one speedring for the softboxes. The

Lightware Cargo cases (I have 2: a 30' and a 42") hold the stands, umbrellas,

softboxes, AC extension cords, gels, gaffer tape, Lowell Large Frame-up for flagging

and sometimes Gelling a light and a couple of sets of Domke 42" x 42/72" diffusion

panel frames and diffusion material, and various pieces of grip equipment. The

tripods have their own case which on small jobs can be the tripod/stand/softbox

case.<P>

As you can see each pack case is a system unto itself. This is important when

traveling by air because sometimes the airlines don't get everything there on

time.<P>There are four pack cases and a fifth case that has the additional heads. It is

extremely rare that I: a.) Actually take all of this to a job b.) even if I do bring it all, I

work really hard and not opening up every case. Some of the gear is going to be back

up. Sometimes I might be working in one area while an assistant is setting up in other

and sometimes I can work very minimally. I recently did a portrait of a prominent

architect and a museum director where I was able to just use two Nikon Speedlights

ganged together in a Chimera XS softbox as a fill light since we had plenty of daylight

to work with.

I do not use an assistant, yet I haul 3-4 cases with ease. I suggest you use Halliburton cases which have had casters added to the bottom. The front caster is steerable, the rear set, fixed. The wheels are hard rubber, not netalfor quiet operation. The Halliburonton has a ring retainer for a 2" ring attached (West Marine Hardware) to the front to be used as a leash pull. It is positined loe enough so thatthe center of pull wn't tip over the suitcase when steered. The rear haas another ring retainer which is used to couple TO THE SUITCASE BEHIND! WHAT I HAVE MADE IS A CHOO CHOO TRAIN! I drag these 4 suitcases with a nylon rope and an aluminium ring grip. Nothing rot -able, nothing rusts, nothing flakes or becomes unsewn. The Halliburtons can be made to look new with water and an sos pad! Each case addresses a job function. IF I need flash, it is all in one case. If I need 6x7, it is all in one case, 3 different cameras! 35mm together...6x6 together.... Granted, the Halliburtons weigh more than Air case. But so what? I don't carry them! They carry me! I ride this train down hills like a skateboard! Accessories for studio lighting are in another case. Backgrounds in another... Each case is labeled... I could hook twelve of these together and pull into, through an air terminal!...or into a church! Alumminum cases are air tight, no fungus, use a silicon dryer! Rain-proof! The foam in air cases will age! Halliburtons make a nice thing to straddle, sit on. They can be stacked to any hight, no problem. Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Your stands can be strapped to a 2" velcro strap and laid across the top, where the handle grip is, on a ...Halliburton with 3-5" caters. So too your tripods. The velcro can be the sticky type or attach it with air craft nuts that won't vibrate off...they have a nylon iner ring to grip the thread...important for caster installation. Halliburtons float on water, too. You can make dividers out of velcro.

Halliburtons can be slid and towed across sand, thick mud, slushy grass, thick carpets, and matting in your station wagon! All of the corners are rounded like a boat It even has indentions to reduce friction when slid! Try that with your Anvil cases! NO MORE LIFTING to help drag it out a station wagon. No need to "pivot" it on an edge or end to get it moving: No damage to your vehicle!

To unload your van or wagon, just pull on 2-4 halliburtons stacked with their respective leashes visible. Like a team of horses you pull the whole stack to the opening of the door of the vehicle...no bending over and pulling, lifting, oh, my back! stuff! The leashes detach from the 2-3" stainless steel rings so that the suitcases can be hooked together like a train....or tow 2-3 Halliburtons at a time with the 3 leashes. What are Anvil cases good for? For really unusual shapes, like a box for a Speedotron 4803. If you can put it into or strap it to a Halliburton...do it. Save on assistant costs!

Make a checklist for each case and keep it inside the case. Make multiple columns and each time you pack the case go through it and check off items that are in the case. Maybe also make a master list for your camera bag that is checked for all your equipment. It also comes in handy to make sure you don't leave anything behind.