The Funky Foinix

<p>Foitzik-Kamerawerke was founded in Lubeck in 1945 by Karl Foitzik, a mechanical engineer with some experience in camera construction, having worked for a short period with Carl Zeiss Jena. Following difficulties in Lubec, (and apparently after abortive attempts to establish the business in several other cities), the operation finally got into full swing in Trier, in the late 1940's. A Leica copy named "Unka" was produced with a production run of about 150-200 cameras before the project was abandoned, mint copies of this camera currently fetching five-figure sums at auction. The company went on to produce several models of 120 rollfilm folding cameras, typical of the era, mostly in the 6x6cm format, very similar in style to the cameras being churned out by Braun and Franka, typically with f/4.5 lenses and shutter speeds to 1/300. Then, in 1955, this little 35mm viewfinder camera appeared.</p><div>00cypi-552831784.jpg.c1b39e2574c0473223e78be822250aa6.jpg</div>

<p>To complicate matters, there had been several Foitzik predecessors named "Foinix", and this model is sometimes called "Foinix 35". There were apparently several variations with different shutters, but they mostly seem to have had f/2.8 lenses, which makes this particular example with it's f/3.5 lens a little unusual. From all accounts Karl Foitzik was unhappy with the quality of the original lenses supplied for his cameras by the Steinheil company, and in 1953 he took over the optical company Optische Werkstätte Janetzki , allowing him to produce his own lenses. This lens is the 45mm Trier AR Foinar f/3.5, and I have no idea what the "AR" stands for. (Anti-reflection, perchance...?) It appears to be a single-coated triplet with front-element focusing , and it's set in a Vero shutter with speeds from 1/25 to 1/200, plus B. The slightly disconcerting shutter release makes several clicks and clacks as it operates a red "cocked/uncocked" pointer in the squinty viewfinder. Another unusual feature of this particular camera, and I suspect that it's a manufacturing error, is that the heavily embossed lettering on the back is upside down; I've seen one other photograph of the rear of a Foinix and the lettering is right-way-up, and I can see no reason for having it any other way.</p><div>00cypj-552831884.jpg.641f3d92fedc533608a2e66a73feda3a.jpg</div>

<p>The back/bottom is removed for film loading and is held in place by a very large central screw on the base of the camera that closes the camera very securely. It's a similar design to some of the early Braun Paxettes, neatly constructed but not terribly substantial, with a one-stroke rapid film wind lever that also cocks the shutter. To release the sprockets for film rewinding the centre of the winding lever must be depressed, a feature that took me a little while to discover. I loaded about 20 frames of Arista 100 and shot them off over the course of a couple of day, and the results were actually better than I'd expected. The lens is reasonably sharp and contrasty though subject to quite pronounced vignetting. I attach a few samples, nondescript sort of images taken solely to investigate the lens; developer was PMK Pyro and scans from an Epson V700. Foitzik-Kamerawerke folded in 1958 following the death of it's founder in a car crash in 1955, and in the face of growing Japanese competition. Today, apart from the Unka, the most sought-after Foitzik product is probably a beautifully-made turret viewfinder.</p><div>00cypk-552831984.jpg.c73b619cb9ef1b56db5be2b2edba926a.jpg</div>

<p>Rick, This is a one handsome looking camera, that's for sure. Those Germans sure know/ knew how to make fine product and results you've presented are very nice as always. Given the amount of posts by you, I do have a question. Do you post as you acquire new cameras, or do you dig through your vast collection and think "Hmm, today I will amaze P- netters with XYZ model" How do you do it. I have about 60 cameras in my collection, some are just simple box cameras with meniscus lenses that probably don't deserve their own posts, but I do have some that deserve some more attention. I sometimes sit on one for a while before I create a post, but sometimes I just run some film through it, gather some info and post. How about you.</p>

<p>Apparently, your time travel machine that lets you find all these minty old cameras is now set to the later 40s. Or, have you, like Dr. Frankenstein, come to be given to 'reanimation'? -<br /> whichever, your results with this one are striking.</p>

<p>Trier is Marx's home town (<a href="http://www.fes.de/marx/index_e.htm">link</a>) , did you know?</p>

<p><strong>JDM</strong>, this one's a little less than "minty", if you look closely, with the plating deteriorating in patches, and that's something I can't restore. Still, it's pretty tidy, given it's age and cheap build quality, and it's lived in a very nice leather case. <strong>Kris</strong>, on the average I seem to acquire a camera every three weeks, mainly cheap and unusual items like the Foinix. If they're worth presenting on this forum I try to do so promptly, or they tend to get neglected. I'll have to admit that there are probably a couple of dozen cameras I'd like research, test and write up, but it's all a question of time... As my mother once told me, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...</p>

<p>Just a generic remark not specifically related to this presentation: I love these postings on the lesser-known cameras, with typically great examples of what they're capable of. All the regulars posting these: probably you've got no idea how much these posts are appreciated. Well, at least by me, but I doubt I'm the only one. Thanks :-)</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Mike</strong>, <strong>JDM</strong>, <strong>Wouter</strong> and <strong>Charles</strong>. While these posts featuring some of the rarer and less significant cameras are fun to do, I often feel a little guilty about the fact that they tend to be rather exclusive. Other Forum members can't make constructive comments or enlarge on what I've presented, or otherwise partriciate in the post, which doesn't exactly serve the purposes of a Forum. After all, in many cases <em>I'd</em> never heard of the cameras involved until one came my way and I'd started poking around the Internet for information. It's much more sociable to post something on, say, a Minolta Hi-Matic E, invoking a great response from members who have an example , and a tale to tell. But I'm heartened by your reassurances that the posts are enjoyed and appreciated.</p>

<p>I like to think, as another poster here, that the report can be its own reward. In any case, I've got great response to some really odd-ball items, and poor response to more common topics.</p>

<p>In any case, YOU have no cause to feel that your efforts are unappreciated. They are, very much.</p>

<p>As someone discussing the business of citation counting in the sciences, the sure way to ensure lots of citations was to insert a subtle misinterpretation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics into the paper....</p>

<p>By the wayside, I did not mean to ignore your great pictures taken with the camera, and I also wanted to say that I appreciated the BEWI, I think an appropriate-time-period meter, as well. ;)</p>

<p>No 'digital wristwatches in this re-enactment Civil War unit' ! !</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>JDM</strong>; as you say, "the report can be it's own reward". There's enough of the student left in me for me to enjoy the occasional "assignment". Glad you noticed the Bewi; as you'll probably recall I have a slight (and dangerous) fascination with old light meters.<strong> Tony</strong>, I won't be able to pick that camera up again without feeling guilty... Thank you for a very bad pun.</p>