The Domke Photo vest

awahlster

I'm looking for a couple of people who have experiance with the

Domke Photo vest to ask questions of. It would helpful if at least

one was a woman as both my wife and I are considering this Vest. I

know the specs. But I need to know details about sizing and use with

a backpack and some other specific user type questions. Any help?

Thanks

Mark, I've got a Banana Republic vest, three Orvis vests, and a couple Cabela vests, all of which very closely resemble the grossly-overpriced Domke vest (which is why I never bought one). Banana Republic has long since abandoned their original premise, Orvis has jacked their prices up obscenely, but if you go to www.cabelas.com you can find a virtual clone of the Domke vest for around $50. That said, all those vests have 2 drawbacks. One, mesh nonwithstanding, they are heavy cotton and they are very uncomfortable in hot or huming climes. I never wear them here in FL. The second is to your point about backpacks. There is no comfortable way to wear padded backpack shoulder straps over one of those vests unless the upper pockets are empty, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of a vest. For nature photography, my favorite is the Xtrahand vest (the largest, Khumbu)and forego a backpack entirely.

The "photo vest" came about because photographers were already buying vests designed for fly fishermen. I agree with Jay, though, about not wearing one in hot humid weather. I regularly wear fishing shirts of the sort originated for fishing in hot humid Florida for tarpon and bonefish. They have two large bellows pockets in front with velcro closures on the flaps and a caped back with mesh underneath for good ventilation. Most brands have a tag on the long sleeved models to secure the sleeves when they're rolled up. I prefer 100% cotton but a variety of synthetics and blends are available. Orvis, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shops/Outdoor World or your local fly fishing shop carry them.

Thanks guys but Hot is a concern once and a while, but humid is not. Living here in Oregon, While I might get days that are in the 90's for as much as two-two and a half months it is rarely for more then a week at a time and relitive humidity will be less then 60%. In the East side of the state it can get down right dry!

The need for a Backpack is that while photo gear will fit in a vest camping gear will not. I'm trying to figure out if a Vest will work for some weekend and LONG day hikes that would require those items needed for an over night stay. My needs are mostly for spring and fall as I'm usally way to busy during the summer to do much of anything but work and sleep. SO the hot weather concern is really secondary.

I have looked at a number of the fishing vests and NONE have the pockets size I need. The short cut is nice but without the storeage they just won't do. The outdoor outfitters vests while close will have to be seen before I decide (only problem is the only time I ever saw one of these stores was in Chicago) The Domke can be had on ebay new for under $60.00 and used even less and I do like the mesh panels.

Mark: they may be out of your price range but you might look at the Vested Interest

products (http://www.vestedinterest.com). They specialize in photo vests, from fairly

basic to all the bells & whistles (the larger models must weigh 40 lbs if you fill all the

pockets, holsters, etc.). The 'Khumbu' that Jay mentions is one of their products (at least

they have something by that name on their website). I've got

one of the simpler versions (the 'Still'). It's

built on a mesh core,

seems well made, is fairly cool in summer (we're very hot but dry here), and functions

nicely overall. But wearing a backpack over it is not likely to work well.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. I have a Domke vest. It works for me.

I have found over time that there is no single perfect solution for everyone. Some people

like vests. Some like backpacks. Some like shoulder bags. Some hip bags. Partly it depends

on how much you are carrying, what your body shape is, and what kind of photography

you do. For me, the vest works best. Your mileage may vary.

While I do think that photo vests are a bit spendy, they are different than similar type

fishing and sport vests. The fabric is tougher, and the pockets are bigger. I can safely

carry a Canon 100-400 IS lens (with tripod collar attached) in one of the lower pockets.

That is a heavy bulky lens, but it doesn't feel like the pocket or the seem will rip. I've been

using it off and on for about 3 years, and it has held up quite well. I would be reluctant to

try that with a fishing vest.

I wore it for over two months travelling around tropical SE Asia, and I didn't get too hot,

although I will admit that may say more about my tolerance for hot humid climates than

the vest.

I would agree with others who say it would be difficult and uncomfortable to try to wear

the vest under a backpack. It would certainly render the breast pockets useless; the

shoulder straps would cover them. Depending on the size of your pack and your body

shape, the waist belt might make the lower pockets awkward or uncomfortable as well. I've

seen photographers with vests or backpacks, but I've never seen anyone with both.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Just some food for thought... I had Banana Republic vest years ago and used it when I carry far less gear around than I do today. I now use a bonafide photo backpack because of several experiences with the vest: While hiking, I would periodically trip or stumble, sometimes even fall over. With lenses and gear in the vest, I actually jammed a zoom lens once doing this since it had little or no padding. Then, the gear just seemed to get a whole lot dirtier. Lots of dust and other crap always seemed to find its way into the pockets, then onto the equipment. Lastly, I had no place to sling my tripod.

I saw one pretty well-know nature photographer in a magazine extolling the virtues of his vest. That's fine if it works for him; I can only conclude that he walks around with minimal amounts of gear, on flat surfaces, and in clean environments. Maybe you would do the same, maybe not. It really boils down to personal taste and though there's somthing to be said for having lenses or flashes accessible immediately, the tradeoff in security, carrying comfort, and flexibility keeps me using a backpack. Since you've already said that you will be using a backpack, why not make it a proper photo backpack? Better yet, before you spend the money, go to your local camera store with your gear and try it out. Good luck in any event.

I currently have a Lowe-Pro Classic and a Canon 200EG backpacks along with a half dozen various shoulder bags and three or four waist bags. SO I know what I can and can't do with those. I guess Ill have to get on of these vests and see what I can do with it.

The problem of the shoulder straps on a backpack interfering with the upper pockets could be a problem I may instead decide that for trips where a backpack is needed as in the case of an overnight stay I may be able to add a couple of large pockets to my packs waist belt and shoulder straps to carry photo gear in. Then once to my local unpack the vest and use it while the pack remains in camp.

As to worring about falling while wearing a vest NOTED but most of the places I tend to go hiking falling would not be a good idea. This last weekend along the Godfrey Glenn trail at Crater Lake National Park a fall could have easily meant a fall of over 300 feet. SO I really try to stay focused!

SO now a real question for those who have a Domke vest. If the heaviest garmet I would wear under one is a parka shell and acouple of shirts. How close to my Tee shirt size would you suggest I buy. I wear a XL tee shirt and have a 48" chest. So would a XL vest fit or since they are cut so large would a large be better?

I have a photo vest, several photo backpacks, a photo belt system, and regular backpacks.

Nothing beats a frame backpack for hiking.

The only time I ever use my vest is when bugs are prevalent.

I use my photo backpacks all the time.

I only use my photo belt system on short hikes (less than 15 miles one way) that do not have significant elevation changes or in conjuction with a photo backpack.

Just what I find works for me. You mileage may vary.

Mark -- I see you!<P>I have both the vest and the jacket with the zip off sleeves.<P>I've never found the vest to warm for Pacific Northwest days. I often carry 2 bodies, a 300mm and 3 smaller lenses plus a flash and 20 rolls of film in the vest. Only problem for me is the collar bites into the back of my neck -- big time headache as it seems my neck, not my shoulders supports the weight.<P>The jacket is superb for spring, fall & winter. Cheap, mine was $65 at B&H, very well constructed, holds tons of gear, looks good. Different collar with built in hidden hood.<P>Only thing I can add is it is probably a good idea to buy one size larger then normal.<P>Sorry, can't comment on the pack issue, can't see why they wouldn't work though.

Hello Mark,

I also have on of those Banana Republic vests. Similar to many of the light weights on the

market today. For cold weather I have used the Domke with the zip off sleeves. I sort of

oversized it by one

size in case I wanted to wear something warmer underneath. Right now I am in Asia on

travel in one of those 90/90 countries. 90F and 90% humidity. No way am I using a vest

here.

I live down in Grants Pass area which is a 90/30 sort of area. I just do not use a vest in

hot weather.

WOW Paul we spent last friday night in Grants Pass. The weather was beautiful! I'm going to order a Medium and a large that way if the medium is to small for the wife she gets the large and I return the medium for what ever I need and if the large is to small ofr me then we will do the oppisite.

Jim the collar is something I had been wondering about I'm not real cool with neck pressure. But along with adding straps on top of the shoulders to keep camera straps from slipping off. and possibly shortening the wifes up. I'm thinking our friend the seamstress maybe tailoring these a bit to fit our needs. Being they are 100% cotton tailoring will be no problem for her she does wonderful work and I can trade photos of her girls for the time.

I have also been looking at some of these new water bladders to see if one could be built into the lower back of the vest to help offset the front wieght (at least until it is empty) So all of this discussion is very helpful.

Mark -- I've been meaning to have the collar tailored for the past 4 or 5 years -- one of these days I guess.<P>One thing I did do was sew a BIG (1 1/2 inch?) button on the edge of each shoulder. Never had a strap slide off after that.<P>You could also sew on a strip of that non-slip material, the stuff with a rough rubber on the surface. Pack straps wouldn't force the nonslip into your shoulder the way they would a button.<P>Either/or you will have to do something as every strap I have (including the incomparable T90's) slide right off the cotton.

<<One thing I did do was sew a BIG (1 1/2 inch?) button on the edge of each shoulder>>

Trivia note: those of us with a few years in photography refer to that as a Schwalberg Button, named for it's inventor, the late photo magazine editor Bob Schwalberg.

They're not fashionable, but when wearing a pack I use a belt system for my camera gear and leave the vest at home. Individual pouches can even be hung from the belt and various other straps on your pack, if you prefer. Tamrac and Lowepro make them, as do others. If you don't have much of a waist, then suspenders are a help for keeping the belt up. The suspenders sold by the bag manufacturers are not very good, but you can get wide elastic clip-on suspenders at discount stores almost anywhere for less than twenty bucks. Make a fashion statement while you're at it! They come in a bunch of colors and patterns. Mine are red.

I have a Domke Photo Vest. I think it is a good vest and serves its purpose well. For me, that is usually short treks into the wild or sometimes a local shooting situation where I might want to have several pieces of photo equipment. I think it could be used under a backpack, but would not personally use it that way. It's advantage is quick access and easy carrying of equipment, but I don't think it easily replaces a backpack for longer treks with better protection for your equipment. And I have chosen to not use both for the same activity - I tend to either use the vest or the backpack, but not carry both.

It is a little hot, but I have used it even on some pretty warm days.

Sizing is somewhat of an issue. I have a large and it is quite large. I wish I had a medium. Unless you are planning to wear it over a heavy coat or something be sure at least to not go a size larger like one might tend to want to do with a vest.

Mark,

I live in Oregon and use the Domke photo jacket a lot. But never when backpacking. I saw a pro using a Woolrich vest and have one of them also. My wife and I use the jackets mostly. The sleeves detach and it becomes a vest if you want. She uses her vest when it is hot but I don't use a vest much since going digital and have found the Adorama Slinger (a small over the shoulder pack) to be wonderful for an extra lens and batteries. I wish all jackets/vests had a large pocket in the back. With all of the gear in the front it pulls the garment forward. Putting some weight in the back would help. It would also be a better sized pocket for my 100-400 zoom.

Mike that is what I think we would be doing most of the time as well I have a large Tamrac shoulder bag and a No name bag that i have made up with didviders to hold about 10 lenses. I like to select what I need from the KIt and then do a 2-3 mile hike.

I'm thinking that unless my experiance tells me something different for actual backpacking trips I will need something other then a vest or a photo backpack as one doesn't seam to work with a pack and the other won't hold my tent sleeping bag kitchen, clothes and FOOD.

Perhaps one of these newer style single strap type bags worn in front and attached to the Main backpack straps could be the answer I'm looking for.

SEE this I why I ask here. So many good ideas.

Someone mentioned a belt system and that **might** work for you. Check out the Kinesis

website. THeir stuff is good; I like it and (when feeling especially pack-muleish) use it

with a vest. However, with a good frame backpack you're likely to have interference

between the backpack waist belt and the Kinesis (or other brand) photo belt. Perhaps the

backpack waistband could fit above the photo belt, but I'd want to test this before making

the commitment.

• 4 weeks later...
Kinesis also makes backpacks that are compatible with the belt system and pouches. I believe there is even one that accommodates a water bladder. This would allow you to use the belt system on short/day hikes and add the backpack for longer/overnight hikes. Richard Sturm, creator if Kinesis sytem, used to be active on photo.net. He has always answered my questions quickly. You might want to visit his site (http://www.kinesisgear.com/) or email him directly. (I have no affiliation with Kinesis other than buying/using their belt system)

• 5 years later...

<p>Go to <strong><em>sportsmansguide.com</em></strong> and you will find a vest that is not overpriced and many choices. I got one that you would think was for photograpy purposes for $28.00. As stated above most "photo dedicated" vests are nothing more than fishing vests marketed to photographers and grossly overpriced.</p>

<p>Goodluck</p>