The best medium format travel camera

brian_walton

Over coffee last night the subject of the best medium format travel

camera came up. Everybody had their say but in general it was agreed

that an old and really battered on the outside early Hasselblad SWC

with an exposure meter on the winding knob would be the best

solution. When I say battered I mean well serviced as well!

Has anybody got their favourite to put forward?

Brian

Brian,

Consider the Fuji 645Wi (an automatic 6x4.5 with 45mm fixed lens) if what you need is a camera that can quickly respond to one-time photo-ops, and take landscapes and architecture as well. This camera is no longer manufactured, but you can usually get them from KEH quite inexpensively. It's very light for medium format, travels easily, with point-and-shoot capability and automatic film advance; alternatively you can shoot manually. The lens is tack sharp. The camera also has a pop-up fill-flash if you ever need it.

The Fuji "Point and Shoot" MF cameras have a good reputation, but in terms of versatility, the

Mamiya 6 and 7 are probably a better bet. You can bring a superwide (43mm), standard

(80mm), and telephoto (150mm) in a fairly compact kit. The lenses are superb, it has the very

large 6x7 negative, and the quietness of a rangefinder. The 6 is even better as a travel

camera because the front lens partially collapses back into the body. The extra size of the

6x7 negative allows you to use higher ISO films without much loss in quality, so it makes up

for the fact that it is a stop slower than the Rolleiflexes, Hasselblads and some other f/2.8

cameras.

A vote for the Mamiya 6: it folds rather flat and can be packed away easily between clothes.

Furthermore its an excellent camera for travel pics. It holds like a very comfortable 35mm

reflex camera. However, I usually take a Rollei 6008i with four lenses with me as a main

camera and I keep the Mamiya as a backup and for snapshots in my backpack. (I mostly

travel by public transport with a backpack for my clothes, tent and M6 and a frontpack for my

Rollei camera. If possible I bring a travel companion with me who can carry some extra

stuff :-) )

Of all the MF cameras I have used and many of which I have owned, I think a reasonable answer is just about any MF camera. All one needs to do is carefully select the accessories to go with it (eg lenses if an SLR etc...) to help ensure convenient, user firendly on the move and reasonable compactness for getting around.

So any of the MF rangefinders like those made by Fuji, Mamiya, Hasselblad (XPan) and Bronica.

And most of the MF SLRs of 6x6 or 6x4.5 - I think the 6x7s are just a bit bulky.

I have just done a trip and only took MF - Hasselblad 6x6 and XPan.

When I take the 6x6 travelling I take 60mm, 150mm and 1.4x extender; 2 backs and P45 finder along with a VC meter II - quite a convenient kit in a "carry on" Lowepro Stealth Reporter bag.

If I really have to trevel super light then it take the XPan with 45 and 90 lenses. I can shoot convenient 35mm or panorama MF frames.

Finally, I have to add that the wonderful Zeiss Ikontas (especially the last couple of Super Ikontas) are a great single MF camera for travel - can even fold up to carry in a coat. By today's standards the images are still great especially with the later T lenses.

"best medium format travel camera" conjures up all the usual questions and we all have our biases. I would offer a few other suggestions: a good, accurate TLR! It's quiet, relatively inconspicuous and probably 80% of your shots can be taken with a "normal" lens (Y or N?). A Bronica 645RF is cool if you can find one or create a kit. Most all the MF SLR choices add features and weight. The rangefinder ideas are usually the lighter weight choices and the SLR choices offer broader systems. A TLR is a compromise, and usually does not present a choice target for thievery.

Well, I've carried Rollei TLRs to the top of Mt Fuji, Cambodian jungles, Afghanistan, and a few other exotic places. My rationale was that I needed complete reliability and simplicity in those environments. Also, most people around the world don't seem to understand that when you're looking into a waist level finder, you might be taking a picture. And TLR shutters are nearly silent.

It depends on many things, of which many have common ground with 'non-travel' photography: what subjects do you shoot? How many grab shots do you anticipate wanting? tripod usage? need for several angles of view? how fussy is your framing preference? how strong are you? how big is the bag? And, above all, how spontaneous do you need? low light handheld?

Most people will want to believe their camera choice is a great travel camera - not surprising. And they all work 'well'. Guys travel with 617s but you can bet they won't be taking home many intimate street portraits - that world is intolerant of delay...

I like the Fuji rangefinders and similar simple cameras. I would always want at least one auto exp/focus, autowind camera - i am amazed how many photos would not have been possible with, say, even a Mamiya/Bronica rangefinder which have slow hand focusing, weighty mid-size bodies. Zone focus in MF is not too successful in my experience. Culture, street, environmental portraiture, etc - Leica/Hexar et al reign supreme here - by the time people realise, you are ready to go. Just the shot for markets, festivals, etc.

I second the 645 auto Fujis - cheap, small, light, robust, great lenses and shutters, v/good enlargability, inconspicuous, small filters, many frames/roll, and very effective for quick usage. On a tripod for landscape, city/skyscapes, scenics - different story - take what you use at home, except maybe an RB/RZ/Fuji 680, etc.

The "best" travel camera, medium format or other, is one you have, are familiar with, and are willing to carry to get the images you want.

For me, that would be an Hasselblad with a 50mm, 100mm and 180mm lens and one extra back. The basic Hasselblad is about the same size and 1/2 pound lighter than my D2h (which has to come along too). A Mamiya 7 might be a wonderful camera - light and sharp. But I'm not going to buy one for that reason alone. I travel to take pictures, not to take pictures while traveling. A "hike" for me is 2 or 3 miles, give or take, round trip. Your needs may vary, and your equipment should be chosen with that in mind.

Most everyone is probably going to suggest some camera they have experience with as it would be hard to do so otherwise. So I will be general in answer and state what would be my inclinations If I were to leave tomorrow for a 2-3 week trip. As a sightseer/traveler only, I would probably lean towards a 2 lens outfit, something short and normal in focal length, in a 645 SLR just for packability, slightly smaller lighter body, cheaper but good lenses and the increased exposures. If I was a traveling pro taking say 4 lenses and accoutrements including tripod, the answer would be much harder, but I would think an Alpa with multiple format backs including a GG and shift capabilities would be a good choice. As far as taking a TLR, I think it would be too hard to cover all shooting subjects with a single lens regardless of the bodies obvious benefits, in order to produce magazine or other saleable work.

I'm looking at a trip now that would encompass grand vista's as well as close proximity subjects. If I had Alpa money I would go that way, but as it is, it looks like a 645 trip.

Mamiya 7. Hands down "best" travel MF camera I've ever used. Built-in meter. Brilliant optics (better than 'blad Zeiss). Quick to use. Mine has circled the globe several times on my travels.

Rolleiflex TLR. Hands down "second best" travel MF camera I've ever used. Brilliant optics (at least as good as 'blad Zeiss). Quick to use. Mine go with me whenever I feel the need for the square format. Here to, several of mine have circled the globe on my travels.

I have traveled with a Rolleiflex 3.5F and a Fuji 645W rangefinder (45mm wideangle): not so heavy, and not very expensive. Two cameras are an advantage: if one should be lost through mechanical failure or theft, you still have the other. And you have two different focal lenghts, too.

If I take only one camera, it is Mamiya C220F with 55mm and 80mm lenses.