off again, since 1973 (probably a total of 16 years actively

involved), and would like to get further education in the areas I

have not even attempted to pursue....and just because that "piece of

paper" opens doors. I full realize that how competent one is, is

what really matters, but those degrees do seem to open doors

otherwise shut

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

I hope you're still monitoring this post because I'd like to help you not make this mistake! I attended the Art Institute of Philadelphia and received my associates degree in Multimedia and web design. Right now the design market is very tough and jobs are far and few between. Since I graduated I moved to Tucson, AZ. Recently I decided to go back to school to improve my education. It has been made clear to me that due to the fact that the Art Institutes International does not have national accredidation, my college credits will not transfer to another college, not even another Art Institute. I had a 3.9 grade point average at the Art Institute. Now, I am left with a $30,000 loan that I must pay unless I wish to brave financial ruin for years to come. This may not seem like important information to you now but if you do not take this into consideration you may be in the same boat a few years down the road. I was not told that this would be an issue and I didn't know to ask. Please take my advice and reconsider your choices. Only consider attending a four year, nationally and state accredited university. You'll be glad you did. Keep in mind that the Art Institutes International is above all else a corporation. They care more about their image because it makes them more money, point blank.

Another problem I'm running into is that most people have never heard of the Art Institutes and of those who have they are considered by some to be "diploma mills". Attending a real four year university will give you more options in life, your degree will never be questioned and will be more well respected. Not to mention you will be more marketable to prospective employers. Please don't make the mistake of attending an Art Institute, you may sorely regret it down the road. If your high school grades are an issue then go to community college for your first year. Community college credits will transfer to other state schools and your money will not be wasted. Pass the word! Feel free to email me with any questions. ~Justin

I am currently attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh - and I am doing great for myself. When it comes down to it, it's your work that matters - not the school. If you walk into an office with a kickass portfolio, let it be that you graduated from Brooks or the Art Institute - you'll stand out because of your work. Personally, the Art Institute taught me the technical basics - I'm still in school but everything is done on my own time now and it's all conceptual once technicals are covered - it's all about what you can do and what drive you have.

Not to be a stick in the mud here, I'll tell you that while I was in school I was "Doing great for myself" as well. I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and had a bang up portfolio that included internships at some big name firms. I recieved best of quarter for two quarters of my education. I also had some excellent freelance work under my belt and regularly kept up with current technologies. When I first got out of school I was making 40.00 an hour. As time went by that dollar an hour figure whittled down to nothing as the market got tougher and my resume was pitted against upper level degrees and more experience. I won't dispute that a great portfolio is a wonderful thing but I can tell you from experience that in todays job market it isn't always enough when corporate Human Resources staff run your resume through a scanner to look for the keywords that add up to an upper level degree and years of experience. Believe me when I say it's not my intention to dash anyone's hopes and dreams. I've been a fine artist my entire life and I recognize the importance of staying positive but I also recognize the importance of being practical too. Tom, I suggest contacting some local firms and ask them what sort of experience they are looking for. I'm willing to bet that portfolio is key but I can garantee that if it comes down to two potential candidates, both with bachelors degrees, both with excellent portfolios, one has a degree from The Art Institute and one has a degree from Drexel which one do think will get the job in the end? Not to mention that few employers have heard of The Art institutes outside the cities where the schools reside. Also keep in mind that your life will change and somewhere down the road you may be interested in persuing an upper level degree or decide on a career change. If you attend the Art Institute you will be starting over as though you never went to college. You will not have the opportunity to go on to a Masters degree so that you can teach at the college level and you will not be able to transfer your credits to another school. I'm not saying you won't get a good education at the Art Institute, I did. I also enjoyed the time I spent there. All I'm saying is keep these things in mind and think practically for your your own benefit; you won't be sorry.