Thank you for your open critiques

Jean-Claude

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no one else has commented on the photo. I'll offer some thoughts and maybe you'll find them useful.

I'm not quite sure what you had in mind when you took this. There are a lot of things going on and it seems to be a competent image. What works? The color is juicy and rich. I particularly like the way the foreground leaves are catching light. The reds and greens move through the image nicely. There aren't blown highlights and shadows have details. The cluster of trees in the foreground have a pleasant movement to them, and for me, this is the strength of the image.

It might be hard to take a photo in the location without people. You might find them more interesting that I do. I don't see them adding anything, but they may not be a big distraction either. Is this a golf course? Overall, it's a casual autumn image in a location that invites one to return for more. Let's see what else you can do there.

Dear Laura,

Let me fisrt start with thanking for the time you took to leave a comment.

Second I am just as surprised as you are that no one leaves a comment. The surprise is even bigger if you look at the number of people that watched the photo so far :116!

So, why do they watch the picture? Every single has an opinion: if you like/dislike it, please tell us why. We all learn from each other and never learn enough !

Third, if you look here:

How to take meaningful photographs, thread about meaningful photographs..., you will notice a lot of people with big blabla and not even capable of commenting a photograph from one of their colleagues.

Now, my picture was taken in a park, not a golf course (they have no benches on the green I think:-). As you mention, the people are not distracting and I can't wait for the park to be empty. Why I took the picture?

Here is the answer:

"The cluster of trees in the foreground have a pleasant movement to them, and for me, this is the strength of the image.". Bingo, you won a trip for 2 persons, 1 week!

You want more of what I took there as well? Have a look:534845246_ovaleoftrees-2.thumb.jpg.daf601e748f143c8ed37b8ad50a125ad.jpg 1189580132_goldenagegoldenroad.thumb.jpg.ddeadcc6cab92c9dfd6d407bbb4b5e04.jpg

Jean-Claude,

There is some genuine magic in the image with the couple. The themes of walking towards light, aging, autumn, transition from one state to the next, comfort in nature with the trees, comfort with a loved one, it's all there. I even like the light post, but I don't know why. Your image invites the viewer into this walk and into the emotions that fill the space. It's really well done and might work in black and white. When you saw this scene, what did you think?

To be honest I didn’t think. I was talking to a photographer that asked me a question when I suddenly saw the couple walking towards the sun and with all the leaves on a floor (noticed earlier),I had to hurry to catch the decisive moment.

when I notice something interesting I then start thinking what is needed to MAKE an interesting picture instead of TAKING a picture by just pressing the shutter.

in other words, I act as a hunter and wait for things to in place before shooting, you say in English.

Dear Laura,

Coming back to your question "When you saw this scene, what did you think?

In this precise case, I perfectly remember thinking "this a definitively a black and white picture".

1. Because there was no color !

2. Because the subject is abstract

3. The grey tones were very nice and I knew I could play with that in post-production.

4. I had nice clouds in sky (detailled structure in the white parts)

Curious to read your comments and thank you in advance:-)

upload_2021-11-29_20-12-9.thumb.jpeg.3c003b4cb492179f69351aae4f419758.jpeg

In comparison; the color photos have instant appeal for the capture and expression of the flavor of the golden light, and the monos are more interpretive because of the abstraction of having no color feature the shapes and texture as entities in themselves. As such the color have more impact, but the mono more lasting intrigue. Like Phillip Greenspun expressed long ago: capture of an interesting subject vs interesting capture of the ordinary.

I perfectly remember thinking "this a definitively a black and white picture".

I've experienced the same thing, though I rarely shoot black and white. When the scene says black and white, I don't argue. You made a lot of nice decisions with framing and tonal quality. I've seen these giant jacks in breakwaters, but never lined up like this. It's a very cool scene.

I've experienced the same thing, though I rarely shoot black and white. When the scene says black and white, I don't argue. You made a lot of nice decisions with framing and tonal quality. I've seen these giant jacks in breakwaters, but never lined up like this. It's a very cool scene.

May I invite you torve a look at my portfolio where I just added a photo with those jacks in breakwaters, not far away?

I gave it a little brownish tone . Why did I take it?

Because of the water, it looks like plenty little leaves, the same as those on the road on the image here above

• Like 1