Texas In July

Ken Katz

I will be visiting friends in Dallas around the 3rd week in July, and may consider extending the trip for a few

days. I am willing to drive about 4 hours from Dallas, and hopefully be able to fly back (to NYC) from there. Any suggestions as to where to go or what there is to see in this region?

I have traveled extensively in the US west but with respect to my trips to Texas, I typically fly into DFW on

business and don't see much beyond the airport, hotel, or conference room. Not a great lover of heat, so an

extensive outdoor excursion or hike in Texas in July is not something I would want to do.

Downtown Fort Worth is very pleasant and

picturesque. Everything from the revived railway

station, to Bass Performance Hall (the enormous

seraphim statues) and Sundance Square, to the

Water Gardens, are all in walking distance.

Plenty of places along the route to cool off with

a drink too. It's one of the best day excursions

in the DFW area. And taxis travel to the airport.

<p>I lived many years in Dallas and still go back every few weeks. My favorite spots in Dallas to shoot are White Rock Lake (nature), Dallas Arboretum (flowers), Reunion Tower / Hyatt downtown Dallas (ride elevator up to top of tower and shoot skyline at dusk).<br>

<br /> Lex has some good comments for Ft. Worth. I would highly recommend Sundance Square (plenty of great restaurants) and within walking distance is Bass Hall (love shooting the angels on the side of Bass Hall). I think there is one in my PN portfolio.</p>

Thanks for your responses. The suggestions I am receiving include: Dallas - Bush Library & JFK museum, Austin - LBJ Library, San Antonio - The Alamo. We would likely fly back from Austin to NYC. Assuming we go this route, I would appreciate any other suggestions as to what to see in these areas or along the route. Lupo, unfortunately, will need to head home after this trip to Texas, since while I love BBQ, I am not a fan of country music.

<p><strong>Kenneth,</strong><br /> I used to live in Dallas, but now living in Austin. The LBJ Library in Austin is certainly worth seeing and I can highly recommend it. The library sits on the University of Texas campus which has lots of photo ops and several other museums worth visiting. I would also go to the Texas State History Museum (Bob Bullock Museum) as well as the Texas State Capitol. All these will be COOL and air-conditioned in July. I have been many times and always find interesting photo ops. If you are up for a drive the Texas Hill Country is 1.5 hours west of Austin and is loaded with wineries, etc. Definitely worth seeing if you have the time. Downtown is the Driskill Hotel (built in 1886 by a cattle baron). I have lots of photos from their lobby / bar. Drop me an email if you need more suggestions. I have been in Austin for 2-yrs and shoot almost everyday. Also St David's Episcopal church is the oldest Episcopal church west of the Mississippi River and was built in 1848. Stained glass windows are worth a visit and it is open daily</p>

<p>As far as San Antonio photo opportunities, There is:<br>

the San Antonio River walk, the Mission Trail (which includes 6 different missions in addition to<br>

the Alamo), La Villita, Downtown San Antonio, the Japanese Gardens, and Brackenridge Park.</p>