Testing Yashica Mat shutter release safely

michael_holmes2

<p>Is it safe to test the shutter release on a Yashica Mat with no film in the camera, as long as the empty spool is removed? I've recently bought one on eBay, and it's on its way back to me from Mark Hama who has overhauled it. The shutter wasn't working properly. I want to give it a quick test before I load any film, but I don't want to damage it and I've read that it can be damaged if there's no film in it, and an empty spool is in the take-up reel.</p>

<p>This is my first TLR -- looking forward to trying it out!</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I don't think there's anything to worry about. I've played with my 124G many times with no film in it with no problems and never heard of there being any problem with doing so. As far as an empty spool in the takeup position being a problem, I've never heard that. But if it makes you feel better remove it.<br /><br />Enjoy your new camera. I've used three or four Yashicamats over the years and love them.</p>

<p>You might check with Mark to see whether there's any risk that we're not aware of. But for years I've tested the shutters of all my cameras every few months just by opening the film door and checking through the lens. I'm not aware of any risk to leaf or focal plane shutters in most cameras doing this.</p>

<p>I have a Yashi Mat from 1959 that I inherited from my uncle. It's still going strong, and IMHO it's a far better camera than the newer 124G. I've probably fired it without film as many times as with to be honest, with no ill effects.</p>

<p>You can't damage it by operating the wind-on/shutter without film, or with or without take-up spool. There are no interlocks or anything terribly sophisticated in the camera apart from the combined wind-on and shutter cocking mechanism - hence the "mat" part of the name. There were other models where the shutter needed to be cocked separately from winding the film.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses. The camera just arrived back from Mark Hama, and I tested the shutter with confidence thanks to everyone's assurances. It works fine, and it looks almost like a new camera after the CLA. Can't wait to take some pictures! Thanks again.</p>