TC-20EII works with 300 f/4

nick_davis

I have read contradicting statements many times on this site about the autofocus compatibility of teleconverters

with the 300mm f/4 AF-S. I just wanted to post this to let interested people know that the 300mm f/4 AF-S WILL

autofocus with both the TC-17E and TC-20E teleconverters. I have used both combinations with the following list

of cameras, N80, F100, F4s, D70s, and the autofocus works fine under all but the dimmest lighting conditions. The

TC-17E works pretty much as along as you can still see an image in the view finder. With the TC-20E, autofocus

starts having trouble when shutter speeds begin to fall below the usually useable range with a 600mm equivalent

lens; typically around 1 second at f/8 for example. So if there is anyone out there who has been hesitant to

purchase a teleconverter for this lens, I tell you they do work.

My experience is not nearly as optimistic as Nick's. I too have the 300mm/f4 AF-S and all three of Nikon's TC-xxE teleconverters. If I use either the 17e or 20e on any max f4 lens (300mm/f4, 500mm/f4 and 200-400mm/f4), AF is reliable only under very bright sun light. In the shades, it tends to hunt.

Additionally, on some of the more recent DSLRs with more AF points, AF is noticably more reliable on cross-type AF points. If you use a line type AF point, it tends to hunt a lot more.

Michael, let's take the TC-20E as an example. If you mount that onto the 300mm/f4 AF-S, the combo becomes a

600mm/f8 lens, which is a very slow super tele. If you are willing to stop down one stop further to f11, I am sure that

image quality will at least be decent. In diplomatic terms, one can say "this combination is capable of creating very

sharp images." You'll see that kind of language when a magazine wants to describe a bad lens but doesn't want to

offend the advertisers.

When you shoot a 600mm lens at no more than f11, that means even under the full sun, you need to use a high ISO

so that you get a fast enough shutter speed to prevent any lens vibration or subject movement. Concerning AF, let's

assume Nick is right that it is ok. In these days of good high ISO results, this could be a completely acceptable set

up. An excellent tripod and a very still subject would certainly help.

Personally, I wouldn't use a 600mm at f11 or even f8 because I have other options, but that is just me.

Yup, I understand that. I also used to own a 1000mm f/11 and 500mm f/8. Both difficult to use, but I did get decent shots with each. I certainly wouldn't use it for sporting events<g>. But for an occasional sailboat or something, it would be fine if the image quality is there. I don't have enough need to buy a 600 f/4 or 300 2.8.

In these days you can buy a used 500mm/f4 P (manual focus) for $2000+. That isn't exactly cheap but is affordable for a lot of people. In fact, that was my first serious long lens from some 16 years back. If you are into long lenses without a lot of money, that is an option I would explore. The primary down side is that the weight will always be there.

Regardless of whether you find the AF acceptable, a 500 or 600mm that cannot open wider than f8 is very restrictive in many ways.