tamron vs canon 70-300mm

<p>Hey guys, I am trying to buy a reasonably priced lens for my canon 60d. Both the tamron and canon are roughly the same price. Earlier reviews I read indicated that I should buy the Tamron as it's cheaper than the Canon. Now given that they are very close in price, which lens is better in terms of image quality and usability? What do the gurus suggest? Thanks.</p>

<p>Both have IS and both are the same focal length range.</p>

<p>The-Digital-Picture is a good source for lens reviews and comparisons. This page allows you to compare target shots of both lens (assume you mean Canon's non-L version):</p>

<p><a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=358&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=757&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=358&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=757&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0</a></p>

<p>The Tamron looks pretty good, at least at the outset 70mm and f4.0. If he's done the target shots for the Tamron lens, he's maybe done a review as well. Have a look around that site.</p>

<p>I owned Canon 70-300 for a few years (sold it to buy a 70-200 F/4 IS). I was very satisfied about IQ, but AF speed was lacking (accuracy was fine). My understanding is Tamron's version compare very well in terms of IQ, and can be quite cheaper, but AF performances are even worst than Canon's version. Please note I never tested Tamron 70-300 myself, I am basing this on reviews and what I've heard on forums.<br>

Depending on your needs, my concerns on AF can be a factor to consider or not...</p>

<p>Most reviews find that both lenses have very good optical performance for the price and suggest that any difference between the two is probably negligible. Some suggest the Tamron has inconsistent AF, but mine focuses wonderfully on a 40D and I am very happy with the lens. I chose it over the Canon for the following reasons: price ($400 - with rebate v. $550), non-rotating front for use with polarizer, came with hood, 6 year warranty v. 1 year.</p>

<p>Tamron buyers seem very happy with their purchases, and Canon buyers seem very happy with theirs. I suspect you will be happy with whichever one you choose. </p>

<p>I have had the Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS for a while now and been very pleased with it. It is not perfect but is very good. All the reviews I hjave read put the two lenses either about level or with the Tamron slightly ahead. Given the Tamron is cheaper I would go for it but buy it from a shop which will exchange without moaning and groaning. Then if you don't like it for some reason swap it for the Canon.</p>

<p>A couple of articles I've read suggested that on a crop camera body you could save a bit of money without losing quality by buying the Canon 55-250mm EF-S lens. My brother has one and he likes it a lot. It is lighter than the two 70-300mm as well as less expensive, particularly if you get one of the refurbished lenses from Canon. <br>

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_211859_-1<br>

Since I shoot both EF-S and Full Frame I would buy the Tamron 70-300mm. Good luck!</p>

<p>I don't have any experience with the consumer-grade EF 70-300mm, but we have the Tamron in Nikon mount and the superb Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 <strong>L</strong> lens. The Tamron is almost as good as the <strong>L</strong> lens. Build quality is significantly higher in the Canon L zoom, but as far as IQ goes, I don't think anyone could tell the images apart except in direct comparision at 100%.</p>

<p>I'd get the Tamron.</p>

<p>If you ever want to resell, generally the Canon lens will be easier to sell and will retain a larger portion of its value. </p>

<p>When new models of Canon bodies come out, you know that the new model will continue working with the Canon lens. That's a risk with Tamron.</p>

<p>I'd go with the Tamron if immediate price difference in the short term is your primary goal.</p>