Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD vs Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens

rwa757

Looking for a wide angle for my D750 primarily for landscapes. I've seen positive reviews on both these lenses. The difference in MM is not so much an issue as is overall performance. I'm wondering if the Tamron is worth the additional $150.00. Any opinions out there?

Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens for Nikon F

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens

Looking for a wide angle for my D750 primarily for landscapes. I've seen positive reviews on both these lenses. The difference in MM is not so much an issue as is overall performance. I'm wondering if the Tamron is worth the additional $150.00. Any opinions out there?

Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens for Nikon F

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens

These lenses aren't really commensurate. The Tamron competitor to the Nikon 18-35mm is the 17-35mm f/2.8-4. According to The Digital Picture's review, this lens pretty handily beats the 18-35mm. I have one and am satisfied with it. Tamron's 15-30mm, however, is superior to both lenses.

I have the Nikon 18-35mm AF-S and that is a fine lens. It takes 77mm filters.

For landscape, I wonder you need constant f2.8, which adds a lot of weight. Also the Tamron 15-30 is like Nikon's 14-24mm/f2.8, which I also have. Those lenses have a bulging front element and cannot take regular screw-on filters. Do you use polarizers and neutral-density filters? For example, I would like to use a 10-stop ND filter so that I can use a long, multiple-second exposure time to photograph waterfalls. However, I don't use polarizers that often on super wides.