Taj Mahal Without People

amy_wilson

I was just about to suggest the same as Rob there when I saw the question. I've toyed with the idea of getting a real dark ND filter myself for that kind of shooting, but so far, I've not got around to it. But when spring arrives, I might do some more cityscapes, and by then perhaps I will have bought myself a really dark one.

As someone who photographed there over four days a few years back, the Taj is always busy. The one hope I can offer is that you find out what time it opens, checking that it's daylight then because no tripods are allowed without a prior permit(not easy to get and the checking of which will cost you-see below). Scout your location inside the Taj in advance- which will cost you because it isn't these days cheap to get in unless you're Indian. Arrange transport in advance to collect you from your hotel to arrive at the Taj at least a half hour before opening. If you don't have a firm transport arrangement you will fail. After buying your ticket and having your camera bag inspected run like hell to your spot and ignore anyone who tries to wave you down- he probably wants to tell you that he's your specially appointed guide. Hope that no-one else has the same idea and that the staff aren't doing anything like sweeping the pathways within shot.

This will probably fail for any of a dozen reasons, but you might get few enough people to get over it.

As an alternative you can photograph from over the other side of the Yamouna. Much more likely to get what you want though it isn't (obviously) the same shot. Come back and ask if you want to know how to get there.

Andy -

There is an inner and outer perimeter wall surrounding the Taj Mahal, with a formal entry gate in the inner perimeter. If you stand in the middle of this entry gate, you get the standard, on-axis view down the reflecting pool toward the monument, including all the people.

But if you walk through the gate, immediately turn LEFT and walk about 50 yards, you will find a spot where the inner wall includes a porch-like structure. You can step up onto this porch, and then frame the Taj against a set of trees. This perspective almost completely eliminates people from the frame, and the foreground trees make the composition more interesting.

I can't speak for everyone, but the process is just as important as the end result to me. Probably more.

Meaning: the fact that "I" took a photo of something that I saw/experienced is more important than the fact that my final image might not be original or amazing when compared to others.

The Taj is beautiful from any angle. The best time is near the winter solstice when the sun is low in the sky at opening, and dust permeates the air. This gives the Taj a warm, ethereal appearance that is almost magic. The rising sun will mostly illuminate the temple and visitors will be in darkness.

The Taj is not a temple, but that doesn't matter. In addition to thr left porch suggestion (I wish I knew that when I was there...), at least by early 2006 they were allowing a strictly controlled number of people (no more that 200 if I remember correctly) in during the two or three full moon nights of each months, of course at much inflated prices. I was unable to get a ticket because these had all been sold in advance to travel agencies, but I would imagine that the possibility of photographying the Tai bathed in moonlight and with virtually no people around should not be missed. I imagine the ban on tripods is lifted during these nights because otherways nobody would want to go.

I was there in September and spent a few days. By getting there at 7am when it opens you can get inside and shoot with few people. Right inside the inner gateway there is a line of potted plants - if you get down low enough you can often block out the people who might have rushed ahead to the 'diana seat' between the two long pools. Shoot from there, and rush down to the diana seat yourself for another good shot. Then turn to your right, and walk into the gardens. From here you can shoot the whole Taj unobscured, but framing your picture with the silhouettes of trees.

Needless to say, the light is nicest in the morning and evening. By far my favourite shots were taken from across the river. In the evening there's usually a good scattering of tourists taking snaps and a kid on a camel trying to get money from you. At dawn, though, there's no one - just the locals washing in the river (think big sunrises reflected in the water with people bathing in the foreground) and the beauty of the Taj.

As others say, long exposures reduce the people, but the truth is lots of people stand stock still looking at it for quite some time - you'll struggle to get one completely figure-free.

I rolled with it - in my opinion the odd person in the frame gives the thing a sense of scale.

For an alternate perspective, hit one of the rooftop restaurants - I bribed night guards to let me shoot from about 5am. they thought I was mad but lots of locals live their lives on the top of their houses so made for some interesting perspectives on the Taj. Morning is best because in the evening the light gets very hazy - sunsets weren't as spectacular as I hoped.

Here's one of my snaps. Okay, it's a cliche - but it's *my* cliche.<div>00JT74-34374784.jpg.02b677969b695c9c59d8bef1adb4359c.jpg</div>

Don't think tripods are allowed at any time on the Taj site. A long lens from across the river might offer some interesting shots.

The most unique shot I've made at the Taj was many years ago. For a few rupees baksheesh the guard would let you take a peek into the crypt beneath the structure. Fast lens, slow shutter speed.... snick.

Doubt you could do this today as photos inside aren't permitted and the crypt is locked up tight.<div>00JTGx-34377584.jpg.c21ae32420936aa80469c3144ab947de.jpg</div>

I was going to dig up a photo of my paragliding/hang-gliding instructor who rigged up a contraption which propelled him and his glider over the Taj, but some lines may not be to the liking of Mr Smith so I won't bother.

Anyway, the last time I visited the Taj I remember there was a lot of people. I highly doubt that you will be there alone.

Incidentally my instructor's name is also Smith. You're not the same guy by any chance?