tablets for portfolio?

2d

<p>First let me say I did read through the search results as this has been a popular topic, but still feel the need to start a new topic. New equipment is coming out every month, the last post I found was from April and second most of the threads were about Apple's Ipad. Let me also say I have been a long time user of Apple and still use their laptops and towers for my workflow. I just find the Ipad even on Craigslist to be extremely high for a piece of equipment I will only use as a portfolio. Being an exclusive Apple user I also want to show I am bridging the gap as most of my clients are using Windows based machines.</p>

<p>So all that out of the way, can anyone suggest a cheap (but stylish looking) tablet that I can use to show my portfolio in meetings? A tablet that's not the Ipad, touch screen swipe-able for moving through images yet easy to connect with Apple's OS.</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice, insights, and help. jeff</p>

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com

<p>Jeff, I got a tablet for the main reason you're looking for one, to show portfolios. Got the Acer Iconia 500, well pleased with it for that use. I do feel it's overpriced (as is the Ipad) but at $400 but still a fun toy. Maybe not a valid choice for you but might give you some perspective.</p>

<p>Define what you mean by "easy to connect with Apple OS"? I have a Viewsonic GTAB, a great ten-inch Android Tablet with a nice screen.<br>

You can find them for about $299 or less, mine is "rooted" to Android Honeycomb - the stock version of Android it comes with isnt great but workable.<br>

It has a USB connection so you can move files back and forth. It syncs with Picasa web galleries using a free Android Market app called Picasa Tool. Or you can just create a Photo Gallery on the tablet itself, 16GB RAM/storage.<br>

There are several Android compatible apps that will sync with your iTunes library but YRMV.</p>

<p>Check out Amazon's forthcoming "Fire" tablet, at roughly $200 I believe. <br /><br />But you want good integration with the Apple universe? Just give in and buy an iPad. Really.<br /><br />I'm a Windows and Linux guy, but use no Apple desktop/netbook/laptop products. But I still settled on the iPad (and companion iPhone 4, as it turns out). Still the most bang for the buck and (importantly) a far more mature ecosystem of supporting photography-related apps.</p>

<p>First of all, why on earth would you think that you need to use a windows machine to "bridge the gap" between yourself and your customers? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! It's like saying "my clients use compact cameras and I should too to make them feel most comfortable"...seriously!</p>

<p>Second, if you ONLY want to use something as a portfolio, you could even buy one of those picture frames for $50 and be done with it. If you want integration of calendars, images, contacts, files, offers and any of the tons of photography applications out there, then simply buy a 16GB WiFi iPad and be done with it. Something more stylish, NO, you will not find...</p>

<p>Marios-I've looked through many picture frames over the last several months and havn't found a single one that offer battery operation as an option. They would make an ideal portable presentation tool if it wern't for the fact they need to be plugged into an outlet for power. I too have held off on the Ipad and others due to the pricing. Are you aware of any frames that have battery power as an option?<br>

An alternative would be a notebook computer, not as sleek or slick but still fully functional for the purpose. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the responses. Randall the more I look into this the more I think the picture frames idea is the best. Of the ones you've looked at that do use AC power do you have any favorites?</p>

<p>thanks again, jeff</p>

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com

<p>But, does anyone know of <em>any</em> computing device, either a laptop, netbook, or tablet computer, which still <em>does</em> have a CF card reader built-in? It would be nice to be able run Photo Mechanic, but not absolutely necessary (even OS X' finder would be sufficient).</p>

<p>Randall said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . I've looked through many picture frames over the last several months and havn't found a single one that offer battery operation as an option.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The unit in the link has an 800 x 600-resolution, 8" screen, plus an internal rechargeable battery . . . $149.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622431-REG/Digital_Foci_P22_040_Photo_Book_8_Black.html</p>

<p>Looks pretty neat! It even supports RAW files! Plus, it accepts CF cards directly! Prior to this thread, I never even thought to search for this! I think I'm going to order one!</p>

<p>I said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But, does anyone know of <em>any</em> computing device, either a laptop, netbook, or tablet computer, which still <em>does</em> have a CF card reader built-in?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Aha! I just discovered ExpressCard CF readers! The SanDisk and Lexar readers go for about $30-$36. The SIIGs about $22. Finally . . . a CF-laptop/netbook solution! But, I wonder if any of the 54mm readers fit flush into the ExpressCard slot, or do they still "stick-out?" Do any of the new tablets also have ExpressCard slots?</p>