Tabbed Summicron 50/2 (1983) -- Focus Ring too Tight?

alun

A question someone here may be able to help with. I recently bought a very nice tabbed

summicron 50/2 (Canada, circa 1983 according to serial #). I deliberately waited until I

could find a tabbed version. The lens is spotless and would appear to have been previously

owned by a collector who didn't use it.

The problem is that the focus ring feels to me to be too tight -- certainly for swift,

comfortable one-fingered use with the focus tab. This is by comparison with my tabbed

Summicron 35/2. What I want to know if possible is this:

(a) Should I expect this degree of resistance in what may be a largely unused 50/2?

(b) Am I expecting something the 50 can't deliver (based on my experience with the 35)?

© Is it worth seeing if Leica (UK) can adjust? (The quote for attention isn't extortionate: a

little under GBP100.00)?

(d) Or should I just use it a lot until it loosens up?

Any feedback appreciated. (I should say that in all other respects the lens is a beauty and I

have no suspicion that there is any mechanical problem with the lens other than perhaps

under-use.)

Alun

I think you should get it serviced (CLA'd), IMHO. I have the same lens, and it glides effortlessly during focusing.) See if you can find an independent Leica repair person on the web in the UK. Malcolm Taylor used to do this,and still does, AFAIK-he's one of the very best Leica repairmen in the world.

I've always found the tabbed 50/2 to be much tighter than my 35/2 or 24/2.8. If excercise doesn't help, send it off for service. One thing I use to do is to add thin strips of the bristly portion of Velcro fastener to either side of the tab, roughly 5/8" long and about 1/8" wide. This gives you an additional finger grip surface for easier focus.

Thanks for the responses. I've tried 'exercise' and while I think this may have made some

difference, I think it may also be wishful thinking on my behalf to believe that it has: the

lens certainly doesn't exhibit the 'effortless glide' one respondent identified.

I think on balance maybe I will get it CLA'd.

Alun