daniel_dinwiddie

Hey, I am starving student/surfer looking to start shooting in the

water. I am currently shooting from the beach with a 300mm on my

old nikon fm. I am working on getting something with a faster

shutter speed at a reasonable price. But what I really am looking

to do is shoot in the water. I want to stay with Nikon, does anyone

have any info on camera bodies and water housings? Any and all help

is greatly appreciated.

Have you read "The Dogs of Winter" by Kem Nunn, a very dark novel about a surf photog who's been paid to shoot some pros trying to surf the "Heart Attacks," a legendary secret break in No. California. The photog hires a local Indian kid to bring him in close in a Zodiac, but things immediately get ugly...

<br><br>

A must read. Has to be the best surf-photo novel out there. And maybe the only one.

<br><br>

Enjoy.

<br><br>

Heller

<br>

<a href="http://www.hollywoodscriptanalysis.com">HollywoodScriptAnalysis.com</a><br><br>

P.S. "Starving" and "Student" are redundant. "Starving" and "Surfer" are redundant. You've reached new heights with "Starving Student/Surfer." Life tough in Santa Barbara? <br>

So far I appreciate the responses, the info was helpful. As far as myself being "redundant", I honestly did not expect to hear such a rude comment and if you really have a problem with my style maybe Heller should just not give pointless answers. I asked about equipment not your opinion on my lifestyle. You are a very shallow self-absorbed "Hoolywood" moron. Next time read the question you are looking at and skip the personnal commentary. But everyone else, please let me know if you have any other ideas.

If you are serious about getting a water housing I would really recommend that you wait until you can update your equipment. A 300mm lens will not do you much good in a water housing unless you are filming from a channel far away and you really want something with a fast motordrive which I don't think can happen on a fm. I saw some reasonable housings advertised in Surfer magazine or you can track down some custom makers in CA. and HI. My first housing held a canon 10s and I had 3 ports for different lenses (15mm, 24mm, 100mm) which is more standard for water shooting. I have a friend in Hawaii that rents Nikon equipment in water housings that you may want to e-mail for more info but since I believe he is filming in Tahiti right now...may be awhile for an answer:

http://www.prickettfilms.com/home.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Daniel

If you want to stay with a film body the Nikon F100 is a good choice. I use one of these in a SPL waterhousing with a 16mm fisheye lens. Got my housing from www.splwaterhousings.com. The combo is pretty compact and light. I know of people who swim out with F5's and D2H's but they are generally more experienced and well financed. You could get a used F100 body for quite cheap 'cause a lot of people are switching to digital. The D70 would be a competant digital "starter" body for a housing. Throw in the 10.5mm fisheye and you have yourself a barrel shooter. Also check out www.surfhousings.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel the best water housings in the world are made in Australia by a company called

Aquatech. You can find them at www.aquatech.com.au Im saving up for one for my D2H.

If you want to stay with Nikon, you're in the same boat Im in. The surf photo industry is

pretty much all Canon and all the used housings going around are for Canon's. If this is what

you want todo and dont have alot of money invested in Nikon just jump ship and goto Canon,

I cant afford todo it now but I really wish I could.

Check out my site www.pbase.com/charliegarcia for some South FL surfing.

• 3 weeks later...