nauseatingly repetitious.

It seems only natural that by now photo.net should have a Digital

Doings (I'll trademark that if no one else has) forum to discuss

digital cameras, scanners, digital editing and composition software

(e.g. Photoshop & related filters), and various types and brands of

printers used as a result.

I wonder: is there a previously discussed reason that such a forum has

not been added to the site -- is there a philosophical disagreement

about the appropriateness of such a forum here?

Yup, it's been suggested many times before but it never seems to go anyplace. Perhaps it's because they don't want to bruse the fragile egos of "digital photographers" by spinning them off from the rest of us "real" photographers. Besides, we need to do penance by having to read through questions like "Which digital camera should I use to shoot a wedding?" or "Why is the DOF different with a digital camera?"

Hal: "Perhaps it's because they don't want to bruse the fragile egos of "digital photographers" by spinning them off from the rest of us "real" photographers."

Well, I'm not at all interested in digital cameras (ask me again in 3-5 years, though), but I am very interested in learning about scanning, in discussing how to work best in a digital darkroom, and in issues related to inkjet printing.

It just seems odd that Photo.net does not yet have an area dedicated to this.

Hal, I apologize. My sarcasm detector was switched off.

Michelle, thank you for that URL. It is interesting, although it's merely one section of archived General messages, which we know is now stringently regulated and deliberately excludes many of discussions that would be saved in an honest-to-goodness Digital Forum.

Michelle, that response pointing to the "category" in the photo.net forum was not an "official" response. We are willing to have a Digital forum. But there is some concern that a digital forum would be inundated with "what digital P&S should I buy" questions, which probably belong in the Unarchived Forum.

If people are prepared to have repetitious "shopping" questions zapped to the Unarchived Forum, I would be willing to support a Digital forum. We need a couple of sage-like people to volunteer as moderators.

Brian, I agree that the potential lurks for endless rounds of 'What $300 digital camera is best" -- but those could always be sent over to the non-archived group.

As a compromise, how about just a Photoshop Forum for now, and see how that goes?

I vote for a Digital Darkroom concept. Now excuse me while I do further real research on what constitutes real photographers using real cameras. :^)

The original concept of photo.net was a forum to help photographers with their many questions. A teaching forum. A place for research. So sorry to see it has evolved into such a mess. Reminds me of the rise and fall of a great civilization. And my apologies to all who are working so hard as volunteers.

I like the idea of a Digital Darkroom Forum. Heck I wouldn't mind more articles to help answer some of the more common questions regarding scanning, storing, basic manipulation etc. of digital images. I love my film cameras as much as anyone, but all our images become digital anyway when they're on this site.