studio photography assignments

sam_ellis

<p>I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it might get the most attention here.<br>

I thought I would challenge myself to do a different studio assignment every month and I'm looking for suggestions.<br>

For January, I will be doing some extended exposures and using flashlights and glow sticks to create light trails. Not very challenging, but it's something I've wanted to play with for a while.<br>

Other ideas I've had are strobe light effects, still lifes, window light (real and faked), food photography, and I think I have some others written down somewhere.<br>

I'd like to get some ideas from people on the forum, so what have you got for me? I do family portraits, babies, kids, and seniors in the studio, so I'm looking for something different. Please note, I don't do nudes or budoir photography. I have a 24x24 studio with White Lightning strobes with umbrellas and softboxes and several Nikon speedlights.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Sam</p>

<p>Here are links to a couple of sites with tutorials you can tackle for a methodical approach to assignments you're likely to encounter professionally:<br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://ny.webphotoschool.com/" target="_blank">NY Web Photo School</a><br>

<a title="Studio Lighting website illustrated tutorials" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.studiolighting.net/" target="_blank">Studio Lighting website</a><br>

Both offer excellent free illustrated tutorials demonstrating a variety of lighting challenges including portraits, product illustrations, headshots for actors and entertainers and others.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the links, Lex. My goal is to expand my creative side and experiment with lighting setups beyond the basics. I want to challenge myself to try a new technique each month to break out from the standard portrait lighting. Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer some of that to my business.<br>

I've been a professional wedding and portrait photographer since 2005, so I'm just trying to find things I haven't done before for inspiration. I'm always trying to learn more!</p>

<p>Thanks,<br />Sam</p>

<p>Here are a few ideas to get you started:<br>

Vintage still life - Old Dutch Master painting style - Hit the Goodwill for metal objects and unique glassware and combine fruit, bread, old wood in a window light set up.</p>

<p>Glamorized Product -Three Ways- Pick a small product, like a pocket knife, electronic device or similar, and show it three completely different ways that would be suitable for a catalog cover. </p>

<p>Creative Hot Food - Make it unique, appetizing and read HOT<br>

Creative Cold food - Make it unique, appetizing and read COLD</p>

<p>Silverware Close-up</p>

<p>Drink - Pour shot - A challenging flash assignment</p>

<p>Drink - Frosted Glass of Beer - Totally not easy. Find some top advertising examples for inspiration. </p>

<p>Men's Wear - Buy a new pair of Shoes and matching belt and make a clever still life for a website splash page.</p>

<p>Women's Perfume - Create a mood and sense of desire in this table top full page ad that shows the product.</p>

<p>Create "concept" still lifes that say "Travel", "Science", "Depression", "Weekend Fun", "Football"</p>

<p>These are but a few ideas, the potential is limitless. The thrust is to experiment with different materials, textures, lighting arraignments, compositions. Keep your communication goals in mind. What are you trying to say/show/sell? Don't expect professional results on your first try, some, like the drink shots are quite difficult. Keep at it and your tabletop, and set building skills will improve over time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>+1 Louis<br>

If you are seeking knowledge about how to handle different subjects in case you are asked to shoot them then an unconnected range of subjects is fine and a good idea. The trouble with flash unless you have pilot lamps is that you cannot see what subtle changes do for you. I suggest that you organise some snoots for your lights so that instead of flooding the subject with light you are able to control the precise area where the light is needed. This is easier with flash than hot-lights becuase material such as cardboard is safe and easy to use.<br>

A book on the subject would probably be a stimualis but sorry I don't know the title but it is out there. The Lighting forum will get you that I'm sure.</p>