Street photography - i'm nervous

rajeshhh

I understand what you're feeling - i have the same feelings at times.

The trick is not to stand out. You need to be able to blend in with the crowd and effectively not be noticed. This doesn't work too well for me, as I'm a white Australian living in a small town in Asia - I always stand out. :-)

Festivals are a great time to get photo's. Everyone relaxed and enjoying themselves, and it seems easier to get good shots.

Are you in India? If so, Diwali is a great time to get good photo's. I got some nice shots a few years ago during Diwali in Varanassi.

Good luck.

Rajesh,

when I started taking pictures on the streets I had exactly the same feelings. Over time I realized that it's really not a problem. In 14 years or so I had maybe three or four unpleasant encounters.

IMHO the key is to project the image of doing something completely legitimate. If people notice you're nervous and not sure of yourself they're more likely to think you're doing someting strange. Confidence really is the key here.

Carsten

http://www.cabophoto.com/

Overcoming your reluctance to photograph strangers will take time. I still feel a healthy surge of adrenaline everytime I place someone in my crosshairs. If noticed, don't forget to smile or nod or something, rather than just slink off like a criminal. Don't worry too much about explaining yourself. It's difficult. Don't expect anyone to understand. If asked or confronted, it never hurts to make up a story, for example, that you're taking a 'class.' Usually, if people feel you have a legitimate reason, they won't stand in your way. If it still seems too intimidating, consider a digital camera w/ a swivel screen that allows you to take pictures from below eye-level. Also consider that, despite the awkwardness, you hopefully won't see any of your subjects again. Good luck, and keep at it.

Sorry to state the obvious, but a lot depends on where and who you want to photograph.

As others have noted, public fairs, parades, sport stadiums etc. are relatively easy places to get started, as photographers in the crowd aren't out of place.

Once you build up your confidence, then you can try more difficult places & subjects, where photographers definitely _are_ out of place :?)

"How about using small camera/lens instead of big fat huge camera/lens combo? Should be less intimidate. :-) "

Alternatively use a big pro SLR with big lens and lens-shade and carry a camera bag. People then assume you are a pro photographer and that you have some purpose in what you are doing.

Lurking in the shade with a tiny camera or being at all furtive raises suspicions if people see you. If you are going to photograph then look like a photographer. 99 times out of a hundred the worst that will happen is people may stop to avoid being in your shot or if they do occasionally approach will ask which publication you are photographing for. (My experiences of this are in the UK and so you must adjust your approach according to YOUR environment.)

I have to agree with Trevor. I carry a medium sized camera bag and my RZ67 around my neck. No point in trying to be discreet. I've never had any problems with anyone. Except once. While walking up Broadway in downtown LA I had my lens cap on, no film in the camera and was walking back to the subway as I had finished for the day. All of a sudden out of nowhere a lady who to be honest looked like a bag lady came out of nowhere and threatened to throw my camera on the sidewalk if I took her picture. I just smiled and went on my way. So even when you aren't taking someones picture you may still get on somebodys nerves lol! However I also get a lot of people coming up to me to ask for their picture to be taken. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Other times other photographers will come up to me and talk shop. I once met a wonderful elderly man who told me all about the pictures he took in WW2.

As far as the nervous part I think nobody completely gets over that. It's not that you are doing something wrong, but it does take a certain risk and with risk there's always a rush. So enjoy it. When you start getting your prints back or if you make your own you will soon see that the momentary discomfort is a small price to pay for the prints that you really like. I not only remember just about every shot I took, but I also remember the shots I didn't take because I was either too nervous or I didn't have my camera with me at the time.

Rajesh,

No one likes being in an uneasy situation, especially when there is a chance it could escalate with little or no warning. I think the majority of street photographers (that have more than a little experience under their belts) have had a run-in they'd rather forget about. Unfortunately that is the nature of the subject(s), and if it was easy, a lot more people would do it. I suggest starting with less intimidating subjects. You don't need to hit your shot with the gusto of a paparazzi, either. Old people are good. They might yell, but being physically attacked is somewhat less likely. Also, using a camera that you can hold at your waist is pretty unintimidating as well. Many subjects think you're just fiddling with it when you are really focusing and shooting. In the end however, it comes to nerve. Get out there and shoot! The more you do it, the easier it will become... and you'll wonder why you were so nervous.

Another old mainstay is to start off with a twin lens reflex camera (TLR) like an old Rolleicord or Rolleiflex. They yield wonderful fat 6x6 cm negs and have the major advantage of a waist level finder that you can look down into rather than have to raise the camera up to eye level.

This attracts less attention. If people notice the camera they give it little credence as a 'serious' camera (a lot of younger folk would not even recognise it as a camera at all!) a few may even want to chat to you and reminisce about a similar camera they used to own many years ago. Whenever I have been out and about with a Rolleicord (or Yashicamat 124G) the only 'problem' has been people coming up to look closer at the cool retro camera.

No telephoto necessary because the negs have enough 'acreage' to crop quite savagely and still get useable pics. (If you really have to crop.) Oh, and a Rollei TLR has a shutter you cannot hear unless you put your ear within a few inches of it.

Sometimes it also pays to ask. When I was in Cuba I would ask people if I could take a picture of them. Often there was no problem. Other times I would take pictures without asking when I knew that if the subject noticed me it wouldn't be the same.

In some cases depending on where you are it might be appropriate to give a dollar or two after you have taken your picture. For example, in Cuba one can find women dressed in very colorful clothes who will pose for $5-6, which is a lot of money to the average Cuban. I always stayed away from those types because they have an insincere or unauthentic feel to them, as they are only trying to extract tourist dollars. Whereas, an old man waiting at a bus stop with a pineapple in his hand is much more authentic and after I took the shot I gave him 1 dollar which can buy him a lot of food.

Also, on some occasions I have started out taking a picture without the subject noticing me, but while I was snapping away, the subject made eye contact with me or somehow realized that I was taking their picture. In those cases, rather than running off I walked right up to them and showed them their image on my LCD display. One such image was of a young couple sitting on an old wall overlooking the ocean. It was getting close to sun down and the girl's boyfriend was playing his guitar. I took several shots as the sun went down and silhouetted them against the night sky. As soon as I was done I walked over to them and showed them the picture and they both loved it.

In some cases, though you want to be as discrete as possible because people will "show off" and that takes away from the feel of the image in my view. Children for example will tend to show off if they know they are being photographed.

So I guess the method is to know your subject and your surroundings. If you can do that you can anticipate certain reactions. For example, if you?re taking pictures of children playing in the streets, you can bet that once they?re aware of your presence they will show off a little, smile and so forth so you should plan your approach in a way which is discrete. Taking a picture of a group of people protesting may lead to unintended problems, so you might want to let the subject or subjects know.

If you are traveling you should be able to express some empathy and it will help if you have a general knowledge of the people, places and histories of the country you are visiting and of the subjects you are trying to capture on film or digital media.

If there is one thing I have found it is that people are annoyed by the ignorant traveler, who is merely there to have a good time and is unaware of the struggles, hardships, and realties, of those around them. If you take the time to do a little reading on your subject or the country you are visiting, not only will it open new photographic possibilities, but in those cases where you get into conversations with locals, they will be impressed by the fact that you have an understanding of the current topics, and relieved that they don?t have to waste too much of their time explaining things you could have easily read about prior to your trip. This can lead to much more sophisticated conversations and even better photographic opportunities.

Look into y our heart and figure out why you want to shoot street

photography..to document, to create beauty, to help yourself

understand your world, whatever it may be. If you are clear on

your motivation and it feels like legitimate impetus to you, you'll

shoot with the confidence that you are honoring your own desire/

need to make these photos, and that will come across to your

subjects.

If you are too shy or reluctant to ask permission to take picture, find another subject. I personally see little reason to intrude on another person's privacy for the admittedly mediocre results I myself usually get. There are many, many other interesting things to photograph. If you want to make photographs of people, ask some friends. During the session, simply ask them not to smile, and you're on your way.

As long as you can get over your inhibitions, which is a problem for me as well, there's no right or wrong way to do it. Whether you get noticed or make someone upset or not doesn't matter, as long as you end up with good images. Some former photojournalist recently told me to just shoot close, and walk backwards as he/she is walking, taking shot after shot until you think you have enough taken. Crude, but it's just one of the ways to take pictures of interesting characters on the street. Most people won't care, but otherwise, just run away.

Cartier-Bresson tried to be inconspicuous, invisible, but it's not the only way to get interesting images.

Garry Winogrand, one of the most important street photographers of 20th century, didn't mind being noticed at all. He was a crude, "in your face" photographer, a heavy and a fast shooter as well, and he created very interesting work. Very unique, high-energy shots. His zoo photos, especially, a work yet to be topped by anyone. I haven't seen anything similar from anyone else.

Ask yourself if you really do want to photograph "strangers."

Perhaps you can meet them as individuals and photograph them that way. That's my own struggle.

I find "street photography" frequently to be cynical, distancing the viewer from the subject.

Remember that not every subject needs to be looking into the camera with a beaming smile. How many did HCB take in this fashion? Not many. Street photog of people takes subjects looking in many directions. Check out some of Walker Evans work. Inhibitions are tough to get under control. Relax, take a deep breath, and work quickly. The moment you begin to think about it you will hesitate and the shot is gone. Kertesz said not to think about it, just shoot.

On Venice Beach years ago I hesitated taking a picture of one of the most beautiful woman I ever saw in my life. There were a lot of gorgeous women on the beach that hot summer. But this beauty had something unique about her. She stared at me perhaps wondering what the little camera was and I just stood there with my Leica looking STUPID.

Ask, beg, if all else fails take the shot anyway, take the risk, or you may live to regret it. Great things aren?t always handed on a silver platter.

PS: In high stress situations I remind myself that I am a PHOTOGRAPHER. This IS my business. I don't haul around a Leica M6 or a 503CX 'blad just to look handsome.

I am not clear why people refer to deception to help others get over their inhabitions. It reminds me of the the saying, "Sincerity? Yeah, I can fake that." Yes, its tough shooting street photography, but who are you really fooling when you "make things up"? Why not just try to focus on being comfortable in what you are doing, plain and simple? And yes, there is no substitute for just getting out there and shooting.

• 8 months later...
This is the original poster sincerely apologizing for taking so long to respond (thanks Kent^). You guys have given great advice and this is a post I re-read everytime I am getting ready to head out to the city to shoot. I guess the point is every scenario is different and the photographer must decide how to approach... Sometimes you need to blend into the crowd, other times you need to approach as if you work for NG and still other times you need to simply ask. I have become alot more comfortable now and that seems to inspire confidence in my subjects. Once again thanks!