Steve Kaeser? Is this a good strobe?

<p>There are some very good Chinese manufacturers, then there are the 'export only' ones who make down to a price rather than up to a standard. The manufacturers typically sell as 'no name' leaving the importers to sell them as their own brand. You'll have to work out for yourself which category these lights fall into.<br>

Disadvantages:<br>

1. Reflectors are fixed, making the number of light shaping tools available to fit it extremely limited and of doubtful efficiency.<br>

2. Modelling lamps are usually inadequate. This one is only 75 watts, totally inadequate.<br>

3. Colour temperature is often vary variable between shots, and can vary dramatically between highest and lowest power settings.<br>

4. The same comment applies to power output consistency<br>

5. The stands supplied are too low to be much use, don't know how stable they are.<br>

Please see this quick guide (on my website) on <a href="http://www.photolearn.co.uk/free_pdf/How%20to%20choose%20your%20studio%20lights.pdf">how to choose your studio lights</a></p>

<p>April, it definitely is not a steal given the lack of features. But if it's all you can afford, it's all you can afford. I started out with industrial reflectors and light bulbs, so I know what it's like to get started on a budget. You'd be better off if you can swing a kit from BH Photo or Adorama for an SP system, or Alien Bees or White Lightening, direct from the manufacturer. OTOH, if Kaeser will stand behind the products if they fail, that may not be too bad.</p>

<p>Hello April,<br>

I have 3 of these, they work fine. The reflector is not fixed (what reflector?). The modeling lamp just gives you a little idea of the results. In the end depend on your flash meter. My color temp is consistent, but if it wasn't, which happens to me outside from time to time, I would correct it in PP. The stands aren't tall enough is subjective depending on what you want to do with them. If you need taller stands just call them and ask them to give you a deal with taller stands. They will work with you. This guy does stand behind his product, and offers a warranty. I would call them rather than email. I will post some results tomorrow if you would like. Hell, I'm going to do it anyway.</p>

<p>I bought some backgrounds from Kaeser before off ebay, so he is reputable. Not sure if would invest in Cheap Chinese strobes. I have a pair of Chinese strobes that I got as a gift. They are solid - but cheap and feature poor. Only a rocker switch to set power level in 1/4 1/2 1/1 settings. If you lower the power settings you must drain the charge from the flash capacitor manually by hitting the test button since it does not dump it for you. They do not recycle quickly, not terrible in a home studio, but slow compared to AlienBees.<br>

When buying strobes think of your future needs and the ability to buy accessories to fit the strobes. Also, mixing and matching equipment later on (like I do) is a pain to do. I stick to my AlienBee strobes but use the Chinese ones for kickers and similar types of illumination. Wish I had all AB stuff at a minimum. -- but those Chinese strobes were a gift, much better than a tie I guess.</p>

<p>Like oftenly happens to everything else you get what you pay for and most of the time on the low end it is just too much trade-off .One of the most common problems with these are the fact that they can pop without being fully recycled(some models as low as 60%) giving problems with color shift underexposure and so on. Personally I like less equipment but better one (US made preferrably) good used rig is better than cheap China stuff and if it needs service, you likely won't hear it doesn't worth it or we don't touch that or buy new one it will be cheaper.<br>

Martial</p>