Steadicam for Hi8 video camera?

bob_ullrich

I'm looking to buy a steadicam-type device for my Hi8 video camera

(Sony TRV75), primarily to get more fluid walking shots. I see that

B&H has been selling the Steadicam Jr. for years, but I'm wondering

if there exists something less elaborate; after all, the camera only

weighs 2 pounds and has its own flip-out screen.

The camera's built-in steadishot feature isn't much help. Any

suggestions?

Thanks.

If you want something REALLY lo-tech, then this is what I do -- I use bungee rubber cords (the ones with hooks that bike riders use to secure their luggage); I thread two of these threaded through the handle of my VX1000 , works really well. If there is no handle, then I suppose you could duct tape it to the sides.

I own a Steadicam Jr (for about 5 years) a b&w screen, and though I'll love it forever for the effect and watchability it gives my older hi8, I sort of hate the heaviness and having to lug it around, too. Although in all fareness I don't think in this case smaller is necessary better, since much of the fluid motion is achieved through bulking up these lightweight cameras with weight and gravity pivoting on one point.

When steadicam jr first came there were a few rivals that came out working on a pivoting head, but I think they also bit the dust in the marketplace... it would also seem like now it might be more cost effective to buy a newer camera with digital stabilizing, but that still doesnt encougage the same kind of magic-eye views you get by chasing the cat through the house or following your toddler down the street seeing the world from his level. I did try to use it while skiing once - neat affect but not so sure it was worth the pulled groin muscle.. Also helps a lot when trying to get shots from over peoples heads like in a parade... It's really great for disneyland...

One thing I found, is I get a lot of curious looks when I use it in public... but oh well..<div>[ATTACH=full]34[/ATTACH]</div>

• 10 months later...