Standard 6x9cm print size.

Hello,

I was just curious, what would the print size be for a 6x9 negative

with no cropping (for example, in 135 format it would be 4x6, 10x15,

etc)? I tried to figure it out using proportions and ended up

calculating both 135 format and 6x9 to be the same proportionally.

Is this true?

Thanks,

Jordan

6x9 medium format is exactly the same ratio/proportion as 35mm, which is 24mm x 36mm. Hence it will exactly match 4x6, 10x15, 24x36, etc. However, some processors (even if they take medium format) might not handle 6x9, which is an unusual size still. Only Fuji reguarlarly made cameras in 69 format and they were discontinued about a year ago.

"(W)hat would the print size be for a 6x9 negative with no cropping(?)" ... "(S)ome processors (even if they take medium format) might not handle 6x9, which is an unusual size still."

Noritsu digital machines (e.g. the 2901, 400 d.p.i.) have slit scanners that will handle up to 6x9 cm. films. However, the likely probelm with machine processors is that there will be noticeable- not bad, but noticeable- cropping during scanning (there is on Noritsu machines).

2:3 is the correct aspect ratio for prints from 35mm and 6x9 cm films. For "no cropping," though, you will need custom scanning and/or printing.

I think you will find that modern 6x9 cameras are almost but not exactly the same full-frame print sizes as 35mm. With 35mm, it's 24 x 36mm, which is exactly 2:3. With modern 6x9, I think for example the Fuji rangefinders, it's actually 56 x 82.6mm, which is 2.03:3. So for all practical purposes, 4x6, 8x12, 10x15, and 20x30 are standard sizes that are full frame.

"there will be noticeable- not bad, but noticeable- cropping during scanning (there is on Noritsu machines)."

Is this true?

At least Frontier Minilabs are able to scan the whole frame without cropping. Seems a big problem on Noritsu minilabs the lack of this control. It's hard to believe.

• 2 years later...

Hello, the closest print size would be 3.5 in by 5 in. The ratio of the long to short side is about 1.43. The negative size 6cm by 9cm is nominal. The actual negative size is smaller. In English units this actual negative size is 2.25 in by 3.25 in. The ratio of the long side to the short side is 1.44.

The larger 5x7 print works as well with a ratio of 1.4.

Dan R.