STA 1 lens collar

User_2000406

<p>I have an opportunity to buy an STA 1 lens collar. This item was produced for the 100 2.8 APO macro but also is claimed to work with several other long R lenses. Searching on the internet has not turned up all that much information about how useful and adaptable this item is, so I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following questions:</p>

<p>1. Opinions vary on how well this lens collar works in steadying the camera and lens on the tripod. Can anyone report any personal experience in this matter?</p>

<p>2. <em>Leica Lens Practice</em>, Second Edition states that this collar works with any long lens, but looking at my long manual-focus lenses from other manufacturors (mainly Nikon) it looks like on those lenses this collar has no good place to attach without interfering with lens operation, either the aperture ring or the zoom range. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?</p>

<p>Thank you for your assistance!</p>

<p>The STA 1 is OK but not rock solid as it is made of plastic. You will have more steadiness without it with the camera mounted on a good tripod. I found it will also fit the last model 80-200mm f4 if you file a couple of notchs in it so the red dot clears. I do not know of any other lens that it fits.</p>

<p>The only STA1/lens combination I was happy with was the 180/2.8 APO. It has enough open barrel for the STA1 without interfering with lens scales or controls. On every other lens I tried some compromise had to be made - e.g. covering up the focus/DoF scale - even with the 100 APO. Everything from 250mm & up have their own built-in tripod mount. So the STA1 has limited usefulness. If you're buying it for the 180/2.8 APO you can put it on and leave it there.</p>