Special light source for the Focomat 1C - what is it?

<p>Maybe someone can help me: I have a special enlargerhead voor the Focomat 1C that is perhaps a 'point source'. Looks like a regular IC head, except for inside where it shows a special lamp, including a glass thing that almost looks like a condensor. The electric wire connects to a dimmer that looks like a transformer. This one you plug into the wall. On this dimmer is written: Leitz France Focomat 1C and there's a numbered scale from 1 to 8. The light works and dims when I move the switch along the numbers. I have pictures but I don't know how to upload here.<br>

Anyone know what this is? It is a valuable piece of equipment? Thanks, machiel</p>

<p>Yes, it is a point source light for Focomat (1c and IIC)<br>

I dont have the leitz dimmer but use a variable transformer.<br>

Very interesting device.<br>

When you use it you must focus the light beam exactly in the center of the lens diaphragm</p>

<p>Nice unit. It would be nice to see how it compares in print quality to the standard more diffused tungsten light source or that of the 3rd party light heads.</p>

<p>Whatever the mechanism of light control, rheostat or transformer, the ability to vary light intensity is good for printing over a wide size range and keeping the exposures at the optimum lens aperture (usually just a few stops down).</p>

<p>If you ever get tired of it, possibly others, myself included, might be interested in it.</p>

<p>For now I intend to keep this and want to print with it. The last (and only) time I used a point light was at the end of the 70ties, but it wasn't this one. My memory is not very good and I do not remember how I got this point light, probably it was part of a Focomat 1C that I bought. I can't resist when I see them go really cheaply.<br>

Robin, do you mean it will be easy to get sharp grain in the corners?<br>

I attach another picture . . .</p>

<p>Machiel</p><div>00YKE5-336859684.jpg.ea449f439eeaf37025de758c2343f80a.jpg</div>

<p>You will find it is rather difficult to use since it enlarges neatly both sides of the négative, and everything in between !<br>

Any tiny defect of the negative will be enhanced, contrast tremendous and exposure time very short.<br>

Should be perfect for microfilm or maybe huge enlargements<br>

Like you i am found of all those leica accessories, yours is better looking than mine and you have the Leitz control, so if one day you decide to let it go, i would also be interested.<br>

Best regards<br>

Joël</p>