Sore hand

errol young

I just did a four hour job last night, around 400 shots. 3/4 of the way through,

my right hand started pain. I was using a D70 and SB800. The camera is held with

the last three fingers of the had an I think that is a problem. The flip flash

bracket actually helped because it uses four fingers.

Today I have a small amount of stiffness but the had seems ok. Perhaps I should

excersise between jobs but at my age I hate that.

Any thoughts?

Errol

Finally a question I know something about!

It's hard to tell from your description but it's probably an overuse injury (you probably

already knew that) like tendinitis--inflammation in the tendons. Or maybe arthritis in the

joints of your hand.

Best thing is usually antiinflamatories (if you can take them), heat, and rest (i.e. a splint

after activity). A splint or brace might help during activity but rest is better, that is, if it is

tendinitis!

Of course if you can't do that or it doesn't help see your doctor!

That's the best nonspecific-general-no-exam-and-no-charge-medical-advice I can offer.

(and yes I am a real practicing doctor).

WOW Ben , a red mark that KILLS in the shower the next day. That sounds like a Hitchcock movie :). Errol , a think the antiinflammatories is a great Idea, I also do some stretching on the hands and wrists when shooting for hours at a time. There are also some creams that help with sore muscles that give relief.

Try what is variously described as a hand grip, wrist strap, or hand strap. This will distribute the weight over more of the hand. For examples, see:

http://www.goshotcamera.com/product/CHG003L2P

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/HS1.php

You could also try a shooting glove. The leather or other friction surface will grip better, reducing the finger pressure you need to support the rig. Palm padding(optional) will distribute the weight over a wider area. Cut out fingertips(optional) allow more sensitivity for control wheels.

Some thin foam taped on the camera with black, rough-surfaced friction tape could help if a glove or strap is not your cup of tea.

You may want to consider using one the devices available for increasing the strength of your grip, such as a rubber ball. An extra benefit is that the muscle build-up pads your hand.

Errol

It sounds like you had cramp in your lumbricals and interossei muscles. These are a small set of muscles between the metacarpal bones of your hand which stabilise the fingers during precision gripping (amongst other functions), ie gripping a pen, golf club or camera. This is different to a simple fist grip, like holding a baseball bat.

If you use them continuously for a long period of time they will get cramp, like any other overused muscle. 100 shots per hour for 4 hours, suggests you probably held the camera almost the whole time.

The simple answer is to put your camera down occasionally or use a strap.

It's your choice: Young's hand or Rubenstein neck.

Regards<div>00H9iT-30948384.jpg.2d0b4d9513ca106c581fc8ea5b819a40.jpg</div>

Lots of overweight cameras (Technika, fully rigged Rs, Mamiyas...) have straps around their grips which allow to take the force out of your fingers for a moment. Try to make something similar - I don't know where your card slot is located.

I don't know much about exercising but it sounds good. I found out improving ergonomics is usually the better idea.

Errol

Use your left hand more. Support the camera with the left hand, so the right hand can relax. As was mentioned, do some loosening exercises between shots.

If you have a flip flash braket that is on the left, consider switching to one that has the bracket on the right. This changes the position of how the right hand holds the camera.

In the days of a removable flash bracket I used right side down, but with a flip flash braket and a heavy flash, right side DOWN is hard on the right hand, so I have a right side UP bracket on order.

Gary

What you really need is one of my patents that I have pending. If you'll notice in the pic that I'm not gripping the camera as I'm taking the picture. The days of sore wrists and hands from long photo shoots is over! The bad news is that it'll be 12-18 months before it's on the market.

I came up with this for a friend who, due to her weak wrists and hands, was in pain after an hour or so of holding the camera. This completely solved the problem and lessens camera shake by a stop or so.

If you're a wedding photog in the Seattle area, PM me and I'll see about getting you a prototype.

tom ((at) newschooltech ((dot) com

(sorry if this is a bit commercial, but it really is a good device)

-Tom<div>00H9la-30950684.jpg.6273464bdfb28e8615f488819baa5459.jpg</div>

I use an athletic wrist support that wraps around the lower hand and wrist. Seems to help. You can make it as tight as you need. The hand strap sounds like a good idea but what about if you have a vertical grip on the camera? Now there's an unfulfilled product niche--a photographer's shooting glove. Fingerless, padded and textured palm, stretch neoprene across the back of the hand, and the option to tighten the wrist strap as needed.

If you want professional results, why don't you go see a professional? Like a physician or a physical therapist. It is ironic that this post appears in a forum in which every few days a professional photographer lectures a newby that they should NOT shoot their friend's wedding, because to get professional results we should rely on professionals.

That said, the advice about and link to equipment seem pretty helpful.

-Brendon

Tom, I'd really like to see your invention.. but it needs to be a little less "goobery" looking. That one makes the user look like a cripple. Needs to be professional, sleek and able to be removed quickly.

The second point about going veritical is a good problem for you to solve as well. Definitely a good idea you have! Good luck!

Aaron Lee

Hey Aaron,

Thanks! What's shown is a crude prototype that I've been using. What's planned will be much more professional looking and isn't actually going to have the brace as shown.

A quick attach unit that will be compatible with verticle grips will be included.

I use the device to lessen camera shake (at least one stop, perhaps a little more with some shooting techniques that I've worked on).

-Tom

I'm with you, but on a smaller part of the hand.

after a wedding, I often find my right thumb hurting. why? because I use my back * button to focus, and I'm focusing so much during the course of the day that the rubber on the top of my 20D body irritates the skin b/c of teh constant touchign adn rubbing.