Sony RX100 Questions

<p>I've long admired the Sony RX100, which unfortunately came out shortly after I purchased an Olympus EPM1. The EPM1 is a fine camera, but it hasn't met my needs particularly well, and I have an upcoming project where I need a small, high-quality camera with an absolutely silent shutter and the ability to use a remote control.</p>

<p>So in particular, I'm wondering how quiet is the RX100, and whether the RX100 is compatible with any remote shutter release. I see that the RX100 II has an optional wired remote control listed as an accessory in the Sony on-line store (for $60+). Does this work with the original RX100 as well? On dpreview.com it says that the Sony RX100 II (but not the original RX100) is compatible with a wireless remote, which I gather is the Sony One Touch, a kind of universal remote for Sony devices, including TVs. Does this allow shutter release as well? </p>

<p>So I visited my local camera store today and learned two things:</p>

<p>The Sony RX100 II is quiet, but not 100% quiet --- that is, you can disable all electronic sounds, but there is still a mechanical aperture and/or shutter. It is not as quiet as the Nikon J1, for instance, but it is quiet enough for what I need.</p>

<p>There are several options to remotely activate the shutter release of the RX100 II (not the original RX100). First, there is the Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-Terminal Cable, a wired remote control that costs $65. No generics seems to be on the market. Alternatively, you can download a free iOS or Android app called Sony PlayMemories Mobile. With that app you can connect to the camera via WiFi (the camera acts as an access point) and then you can remote control the camera, including seeing the live view from the camera projected onto your smartphone or tablet device, and controlling zoom and the shutter. However, there is latency, even if you disable the default setting in which the photo is actually copied directly onto your mobile device. It's nice to have this feature, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for, as it's not fast enough. I'll have to shell out for the wired remote, and I wish there was a regular IR remote.</p>

<p>Since you mentioned the Nikon J1...<br>

Reportedly the Nikon V1 will work with generic IR remotes costing under $20 (I'm tempted to dig out my old universal TV remote and try it), and can detect the IR signal from the rear as well. However most Nikon 1 system owners who've tried remotes say the control is very limited - it's essentially a single stage shutter release, without any prefocus ability.</p>

<p>The 10-30 VR lens will emit a tiny, almost inaudible diaphragm sound. A prefocused, stopped down manual lens would eliminate that tiny bit of noise.</p>