Sony NEX models compatible with Minolta lenses?

bill_tuthill

<p>I don't think it's a ploy. Why on earth would you want to put a big-old slr lens on a tiny body.. which you buy *because* it's small ? In lens SSS makes it better for video, apparently. I'm surprised the cheap kit lens gets a metal casing - pleasant surprise of course.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure I'm the only Alpha shooter still excited about the EX-1 :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think it's a ploy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Er, remind me why Sony cameras used to take only their Memory Sticks? Or why there isn't a normal hotshoe (not even the Minolta version) on the NEX?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why on earth would you want to put a big-old slr lens on a tiny body..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not me, but there are many who do this with their m4/3 cameras. And did you see the size of the new AF 18-200mm?</p>

<p>Besides, not all "old SLR lenses" are big either. ;)</p>

Well, if my Minolta/Sony lenses with adapter are just manual focus anyway, why wouldn't I buy a Panasonic GF1 for about the same price and get built-in flash? A Minolta AF adapter is available for micro-4/3. Maybe if the 18-200 is a stunningly great lens this would make an interesting system, but I already have a good P&S with 28-140mm lens, and I am not about to pay $700 for a non-pocket camera with 27-83mm lens.

<p>Hmm actually this might be more interesting to me than I assumed before, as a pocketable second body to bring along with an alpha macro lens on it (or is a nex body more of a decoration on the lens rather than vice versa? :), when my a700 is mounted on a long lens and it's not very practical to switch frequently in the midst of dust & wilderness. Autofocus isn't much use for macro anyway.</p>

<p>Lack of stabilization would be a bummer for macro uses but good high iso performance might make up for that. And in a bit of reverse logic, it still doesn't make that much sense in my mind to have live view & tiltable screen on a dslr, but on a nex-like system that would be more logical to me - and especially useful for macro too.</p>

<p>Anyway, let's see what the reports on image quality and the new interface are like, once people start using these for real. The explanation in dpreview of the minimalist button arrangement on the nexes does make me worried though that sony might aim for a similar fluid (=confusing?) function assignment with the a7xx; maybe the minimalist rear button arrangement on the pma mockup of the a7xx is really all they're planning to put on it...>:(</p>

<p>I think there is some confusing about having AF when using the A-mount lenses on the NEX. From what I can see, for the time being, AF is not available. However, a software update that is expected this summer, will allow lenses with SSM/SAM to autofocus. But, with no in-body stabilization, I can't see it being easy to hand-hold a larger lens, and having to manually focus while holding the body away from you so you can watch the rear screen.</p>

<p>It's interesting that Sony could fit a motor in the adapter to activate the aperture linage of the A-mount lenses, but couldn't fit a motor in for the screw drive lenses.</p>

Besides confirmed lack of a viewfinder, the really irritating point about NEX[35] would be the flash shoe if it is neither Minolta iISO nor ISO type. That would not be too bad if there were a port (3.5mm or screwy PC) to fire a flash (of course I am thinking of attachment point for a radio trigger). Anybody know what kind of flash shoe is it?

<blockquote>

<p>the really irritating point about NEX[35] would be the flash shoe if it is neither Minolta iISO nor ISO type.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that bothers you, wait till you find out about the horrible control scheme: <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM">http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM</a></p>

<p>The high ISO performance is superb though, as well as the effective HDR mode. Still, I'd wait for the next iteration or so, if only for more reasonable controls.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. I mean small lightweight body and lenses that still provide dslr quality images and shoots 7fps? What's not to like? Obviously you can't expect the system to perform like a dslr system, because the point is that there are certain trade-offs associated with having a small lightweight, mirror-less body. I mean complaining about the lack of a viewfinder is kind of mindless because you are missing the point of the NEX system. Want a viewfinder, then buy into the alpha system, not the NEX.</p>

<p>As for the adapter allowing the use of alpha lenses, I agree that in reality, you would be defeating the purpose of the NEX system to some degree by doing so. Ok so no AF, but at least Sony is proving the option of doing so for those who might wish to do so.</p>

<p>I am guessing that the decision to provide in-lens stabilization is due to the fact that the NEX system is ultimately not going to have that many lenses, unlike a dslr system. Therefore in-lens stabilization is actually more effective in that circumstance and probably cost effective.</p>

<p>I can say one thing, if I wasn't already so heavily invested into the alpha system, I would seriously consider the NEX system for my travel kit! As long as it provides reasonable controls, which remains to be seen.</p>

<p>'What's not to like?'</p>

<p>Handles like a toy ;)</p>

<p>' I mean complaining about the lack of a viewfinder is kind of mindless because you are missing the point of the NEX system.'</p>

<p>Nope! I'd love a small body like that, but I still need to look through a viewfinder. It's only a very small snap on contraption, like the flash that comes with it. There is an optical viewfinder for the 16mm pancake - very small, you see?</p>

<p>Have you considered the Leica M9? I think it offers you everything you are asking for! :)</p>

<p>But seriously, yes of course it will handle like a toy compared to a dslr. The real question as I said is whether it will provide reasonable controls or whether everything has to be accessed through a menu. Personally I am skeptical that Sony will give use decent controls and I think that would be a legitimate improvement on the philosophy of the system.</p>

<p>Will your snap on viewfinder allow you to have manual focus like a rangefinder? Or will it purely be a framing tool? If it is purely a framing tool then is it that much more useful than the screen? What about for the zoom lenses? What kind of snap on viewfinder is going to achieve the zoom framing?</p>

<p>My point is the NEX is neither a dslr nor a rangefinder so why do we expect to behave like one? It obviously targets a particular niche in the very large photography market as do all cameras. I have no issues with comments that it could be improved in terms of what it is designed to do, but to complain it doesn't do what the alpha system does is frankly silliness.</p>

<p>Jiun, The OVF for the NEX camera is designed for use with the 16mm lens according to what I've read. And pictures of it show a single 'framing' box in it. And, the Sony website says that it will help in framing and composition, although this seems strange as the specs for the cameras say the LCD screen offers 100% viewing of the image being captured. So, how does the OVF help when you should be able to see what you're capturing in the LCD screen.</p>

<p>As for your comment about the NEX bodies "doesn't do what the alpha system does..." is misleading as Sony has made the NEX cameras as part of their Alpha system. In addition, Sony has said that they will include the sales of the NEX cameras in their total of DSLRs sold. This indicates that Sony consider the NEX cameras as a replacement for DSLRs.</p>

<p>You're offering to buy me an M9 Jiun :) ?</p>

<p>An electronic viewfinder, yet to be announced/released/spoken of, would act just like the rear screen - you would be able to see focus as well. I think 'higher spec' bodies will offer better direct input (PASM, dials, wheels etc) but these bodies don't so I can't see why 'experienced' photographers are going so crazy over them.</p>

No sir, NEX [35] just won't do for they disgust me terribly.

NEXt could be the one to catch my fancy. Fancy catching, only if it would sport more buttons, wheels, multiple ones. Not just one or none. And, let's not forget a view finder as it should have been. A view finder that would work with all the lenses, not a lens specialized kind as the current situation is. Available already elsewhere.

.oO( Wonder if Sony 135mm f/1.8 is SSM endowed ... 85mm f/1.4 could not be for there are far too many mentions of it making a ruckus ... for that matter any other prime lens ... hmm ... AF with a fixed focal length lens appears improbable ... )

<p>I'll buy you one if I win the lottery Richard, after I buy myself one. Haha!</p>

<p>Has anyone read this opinion by David Kilpatrick? I don't understand half of what he is talking about but the possibilities sound intriguing.</p>

<p>http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/05/14/whats-nex/</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting the the NEX system is perfect, but I am saying that you can't expect this system to perform like another totally different system type. After all, it is not a SLR type mechanism nor a true rangefinder. Therefore, people who start talking about whether they can attach their 300/2.8 to it are either crazy or just being facetious.</p>

<p>What I am saying is that I really like the concept of the system. The way I look at it, the people who will buy into it are either amateurs who want the lightweight portability of the system and the ability to change lenses and who want better image quality than what even the best point and shoots can offer. Sony will probably sell loads of these to such people. The other lot of people who will buy it are the 'experienced' photographers you mentioned. They will buy it because there would be some (limited) compatibility to the alpha system and because they are interested in an ultra-lightweight camera that can still take high quality images. Therefore the NEX would effectively be a 2nd camera to them and they won't expect it to be fully featured like their main cameras. Such people will live with the limitations of the system because of the advantages that it brings. Personally, I think Sony won't give a crap about the second group because there won't be enough of us to affect their marketing. I am guessing that Sony intends to market these 2 systems in parallel with the alpha system concentrating more on the upper end of the market.</p>

<p>Heck I don't care, if I have to manual focus using the LCD. Heck if I am doing landscapes I am more than happy to zone focus. But a system that weighs nothing compared to my A900 and still allows me to use high quality fast lenses, provide image quality equal or better than the A550, is pretty darn cheap, allows 7fps, that would be a dream for me. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I would literally carry it everywhere I go which I definitely don't do with my SLR/DSLRs or even rangefinders. The only hesitation I have is the controls. I find it hard to see how they could provide that many controls, there literally isn't enough space on the body! In the longer term/next generation, if they were to do something similar controlwise to the Canon S90, that would be awesome.</p>

<p>Money is always tight for me but that fact that my screw mount Leica lenses and Soviet Zeiss clones would attach to this via an adapter is really such a mouth watering prospect. I think I would probably buy one of these with adapters for LTM and Alpha mounts when available. Imagine one of these with a beautiful CV 15mm lens :) I am also looking forward to attaching my 1937 Leitz Elmar 9cm lens to it ;)</p>