Some Old Shots from a Kodak Sterling 2

<p>These were made in England in the mid 1950's, there were three in the series with the same body - the Kodak Junior, Junior 2 and the top of the range Sterling 2 (there doesn't seem to have been a Sterling 1). It's 620 and I spent a long time trying to work out how to get a 120 spool into it, but the body is very tight so I finally plucked up my courage and tried re-spooling (this was a few years ago and I wasn't accustomed to handling film).</p><div>00XnUn-308425584.jpg.350c6506768cfe938b640755a03d96fa.jpg</div>

<p>It's a simple 6x9 camera with an Anaston lens which is capable of nice images, although it's a few years since I last used it so I have raided the archives for a few shots - don't ask what type of films! This was from the first roll which was damaged after trying to respool it in a camera, but a few frames survived.</p><div>00XnUp-308427584.jpg.f73a3e643e320080bc157660438174ca.jpg</div>

<p>Fascinating camera. Very similar to the Kodak Tourist sold in the US, but it's mirror-imaged, the finder is on the other side of the Tourist. Of course, it has a European shutter, probably to avoid massive import duties if Kodak had imported a Supermatic or Flash 200 shutter.<br>

The pictures are surely very sharp. I've been very impressed by the Anastigmat Special lens on my Kodak Monitor Six-20 (a Tessar formula with more modern glass types).</p>

<p>Interesting John. When I read your post I remembered having one of these lying around. I've never used it.<br>

I just found it out, and everything seems to work, so I guess I'll try a roll of something through it.<br>

It looks exactly the same as yours (except it needs a clean) although it has a screw at the 9 o'clock position on the shutter facia.<br>

I read mixed information on the lens. <a href="http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Kodak_lenses">This Article</a> seems to state that the lens is a 4 element Tessar type, whereas elsewhere I've seen it described as an Unar (4 elements in 4 groups) design.<br>

Using Rick Oleson's method, it looks like a triplet to me however.<br>

Also of note is the fact that "Mount 320" appears to mean that it takes 32mm push fit accessories, so I already have filters and hoods that will fit.<br>

Thanks for stimulating my interest!</p>

<p>Anyone that has tried - a successful - conversation to 120 film?<br>

I've had one of these for 25 years and was finally able to try it out this autumn, with a outdated film happened upon. The results was quite nice, but would have been better with new 120. Its a good lens.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments - I'd be surprised if the Anaston wasn't a simple triplet. The Sterling 2 is something of a transitional type - the top is plastic but body is metal and the bellows look like leather. The later Kodak 66 is similar but takes 120 film. There is no winding mechanism, just a red window - simple and reliable.<br>

I'm hoping to do some new stuff soon but have been very busy with different time-consuming things, some of them even photography-related.</p>

<p>I think the 'Anaston' is a triplet and the 'Anastar' is a 4 element design. I have a Tourist II with a 101mm f4.5 Anastar in a Kodak shutter with a range of 1 to 1/800 + B but have the lens is on a home made 3.25 X 4.25 sheet film box camera right now. I intend to stick it back on the Kodak soon. I am somewhat suprised that 1/800 shutter is still working. I've read they are a bear to work on and it takes a mighty pull on the cocking lever when set to the top speed so I just don't go past 1/400 sec.</p>

<p> </p>

I'm very impressed. Not only sharp but excellent contrast and tone rendition. These certainly benefited from better coatings.

I don't know about the triplets vs the tessars, but if this is an implied triplets... forget the Tessars, these are great!

I also was aware of the UK versions referred to as Juniors, but I also never heard of the Sterling; worth every pound!