Some lens and Pentax body suggestions

m_m7

<p>I have been fortunate to get a set of the Pentax FA limited lenses 31mm,43mm and 77m in new condition together with a 85mm/f2 M lens and a MZ-S body.Somebody left the country and gave them to me for almost nothing.</p><p>I have an impressive collection of Canon FD lenses but I was just very very surprised by the construction quality of these little guys.Didn't try them yet.</p><p>I was wondering if you can suggest a good ultra wide lens and a portrait one to complement the setup and another AF body as backup.</p><p>Bets regards<br></p>

<p>That is a fantastic set of lenses. I am green with envy! And the MZ-S is a great camera as well.</p>

<p>I don't think you need anything else for portraits, as any of the 43, 77 or 85 would do nicely, depending on your desired idstance and framing. For ultrawide on film I would recommend the Pentax FA 20-35mm zoom, f/4, which just sparkles. I don't have experience with the ultra wide primes, but I suspect the FA* 24mm f/2 is good.</p>

<p>For an AF body you have many inexpensive options. I don't think anything else really handles like an MZ-S does, but the MZ-5n gets good marks. A PZ-1p gets very high marks too, although the interface may be somewhat different.</p>

<p>For a film camera such as the MZ-S I would second Nicks lens suggestion. A manual focus lens that I say that is one of my favorites is the 20mm f2.8 A, beautiful lens. I do like 135mm for portraits in film. Actually I tend to go to a different extreme and like the cheapest option here, something like a 135mm f2.8 Spirltone for may $10. Yes, they are soft, but I like that in a portrait. On the other extreme there is something like the 135mm f1.8 FA. Expect to sell the car (if not the house!) to get it.</p>

<p>"Almost nothing" is extremely fortunate, because that's some seriously nice kit. All you're missing there is ultrawide, and it's hard to knock the FA20-35/4 suggestion that Nick and Douglas mentioned. A good match for a MZ-S.</p>

<p>Since you already have a 77/1.8 and 85/2 which are both good portrait lenses, I have to think you're looking for a longer lens for portraits. The lens I have for this purpose but haven't used a whole lot yet is the M120/2.8. The FA135/2.8 is good autofocus telephoto though I don't own one. Any idea what focal length you had in mind? (85, 100, 105, 120, 135...)?</p>

<p>Thank you for all the answers.Yes I was looking for a slightly longer lens (around 135) and something wider than 24.Since I am impulsive I took Nick's advice and jumped on a 20-35/f4 last night.The 120mm looked the cutest to me (sorry for my no so objective criteria). For a body I don't know yet but I will look for a MZ-6.<br>

Andrew almost nothing meant 350 for the set,don't know exactly how much they are.I will take one today for a Manhattan afternoon.<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>you also have the option of the voigtlander SL 20mm f/3.5. i have the 20-35 and must say that its an amazing lens. the only reason i would consider the Voigltlander 20mm is to have a smaller sized lens to fit better in my pack. but all these lenses are already small so you don't have much to worry about size-wise.</p>

<p>by the way, if you don't know much about the limited lenses... the 31, 43, and 77... i suggest you read this article... "the best autofocus lenses money can buy":<br>

<a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml</a></p>

<p>I shoot only slide film and I have almost the exact same setup as yours. MZS, 31, 43, 77, and a FA20-35. <br>

FYI, If you were to have bought these things all new in the US, it would cost a total of about $3000. </p>

<p>another suggestion i would give is to have a backup body. i have a Pentax LX. This is a manual camera that is considered by many as the best camera Pentax ever made. you can read about it here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/</a></p>

<p>the LX and MZ-S are both such nice cameras that I often have difficulty choosing which one to choose. Usually, I go for the LX when using fast ISO film (since it is a camera that excels in low light photography) or when expecting rain since it is a weather-sealed body.</p>

<p>congrats on your new toys.</p>

<p>Are you wanting to use the lenses on the MZ-S or on a DSLR?<br>

I have the FA31, FA43 and FA77 as well and use them on a Pentax DSLR, at the moment a K-7.<br>

If you are going to use the lenses on the MZ-S, then the best portrait lens is the FA77 as this is a superb lens and the correct FL for portraiture. A suitable wide angle lens would be the FA20 f2.8 which is a real beauty and a lens that I also have.<br>

If you are going to use the lenses on a DSLR, then the FA43 or FA77 will both be excellent portraiture lenses and both have exemplary IQ. As for a wide angle, then I can highly recommend the Pentax DA14 f2.8 (I also have) which has the same FOV as the FA20 f2.8 (for 35mm film) but on a Pentax DSLR which has a 1.53x crop.</p>

<p>The Pentax K (Or Pentax SMC) 135mm f/2.5 is supposed to be great, I have an M42 Takumar with the same optical formula and it is excellent, if a little long on a DSLR. Do not be confused with a "Takumar Bayonet" 135mm f/2.5, which is not a bad lens but not a very good one either. The Pentax-M 135 f/3.5 is also supposed to be very good, a little smaller and lighter but not quite in the same class as the K 135/2.5.</p>

<p>Enjoy the 20-35! And post up some shots when you have them available.</p>

<p>From what I've read, the worst of the 135's is the Pentax-A 135/2.8. So if looking for a 135, probably better to go with one of the others. The FA 135/2.8 and the similar F 135/2.8 will be on the pricier side but that's all there is in autofocus at that length. Some comments <a href="http://stans-photography.info/BriefComments.html#135%20mm%20General%20Discussion">here</a> .<br>

Some have said the older <a href="http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/tele/K120f2.8.html">K 120/2.8</a> (labeled just 'SMC') might be a little better than the <a href="http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/tele/M120f2.8.html">M120/2.8 </a> but it's a bit larger/heavier (takes 52mm filters rather than 49) and the M has the built-in hood. And importantly for me, it's the one I found first. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>350 is dirt-cheap if that's dollars.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Even if it's British pounds it's still envy-inducing cheap! In some countries it could even constitute theft :-D</p>

<p>Congratulations, Mihail; you are one <em>VERY</em> lucky man. But remember, with great power, comes great responsibility, so don't use this equipment to take photos of cats, OK?</p>

<p>I agree with much of what has been said. You are VERY lucky indeed! This is no doubt the most over-the-top good luck story I have come across regarding photography. Those are among the most cherished and sought-after lenses in existance. I have all the above Limiteds but the 31mm, plus a DA 21m Limited for digital use only.</p>

<p>The MZ-S is a great camera, and the most compact metal-body (magnesium alloy) AF pro-style design ever made. Yes, the ZX/MZ-5n or the ZX-L/MZ-6 are excellent backup choices, and can be found in top shape for little $$. The ZX-L has an advanced flash system like the MZ-S, while the ZX-5n has metering and other controls similar to the MZ-S, and a very good quality view finder. The PZ-1p is a larger camera, but with also a very advanced feature set, which would make a good partner, rather than backup, for the MZ-S. I have all the above models, and the PZ-1p is generally my perferred model when I don't need to go compact.</p>

<p>The Pentax "M" 135mm f/3.5 is a very fine MF lens. Very well built, compact, and can be found in top shape at a very inexpensive cost. Remarkably inexpensive for the quality it offers. I've had one for years.</p>

<p>Another consideration, if you have any interest in macro, is perhaps getting a macro lens in the 100mm range. A Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro is one possibilty. Then you'd have a good portrait and a good macro lens.</p>

<p>Some of the outgoing Pentax DSLR models, like the K20D, K200D, are now to be had at closeout bargain prices. The new Kx is creating a lot of stir for an ultra-compact model, and the new top-of-the-line K7 was designed with the quality/compact concept as the goal, specifically to match the Limited lenses. One of those would be golden. If you wait a few months, the already reasonable price (for what it is) of $1,300 for the K7 may well drop some. A DSLR would put your super-fine 77mm Limited right in the ball park of the longer FL you are looking for. It is a fantastic lens for people shots, as well as much else.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Amazing advices ,thank you.The currency used in my previous post was USD indeed -:).In the meantime here is my first attempt with the 43 wide open and Kodak Tmax. I processed the film myself and scanned home on a Nikon Coolscan.<br>

Lucky to have my daughter modeling for me.</p><div>00UZ0z-175115684.JPG.26d40f18ab2dc7bef50624cc86348976.JPG</div>