<p>Yashica Super T4<br>

Yashica T4<br>

Konica Big Mini<br>

Ricoh R10<br>

Olympus Stylus Epic<br>

Olympus XA (for comparison)</p>

<p>I have not used the Konica or Ricoh</p>

<div>00YoNM-364199584.jpg.5e09c16dff81f6a53739dc9801b8c02e.jpg</div>

<p>And now some notes about these cameras.<br /> First the T4's.. These both are the largest of the group. Note that both of these models came with and without the date imprint back. In the above pic, the T4 super on the far left has the date back and is somewhat thicker because of it. However they are both easily comfortable in a coat pocket. Both have a nice sized sliding on/off switch which also exposes the lens. The function buttons on the top are somewhat flush. They are usable but gloves or large hands may be a problem. These have spot metering/focussing so you can use creative compositions and compensate for backlit situations. However they do not extend the lens when doing this. Thus there is some shutter lag.<br /> These have excellent contrasty lenses. Here is an example shot with the T4:</p>

<p>It just shows that no matter how much these cameras are acclaimed, they are no magic bullet.<br>

Yes the above shot was taken by an eight-year old. However I have a good number taken by me where that are this way. I think AF cameras like this have a problem with subjects in the 10-15 foot range. So if you give the camera to someone to take your photo, make sure they dont go more than 5 feet away.</p>

<p>OK now the Konica BigMini and the Ricoh R10. These are slimmer than either of the Yashicas. The Konica is the sexiest of the bunch, but at a cost. Instead of a lens cover, the Konica has a non-removable glass, like a UV filter. Take care not to scratch it. The power button is on top but nowhere near as usable as the Yashicas. And the function buttons on the back require a fingernail to use. <br>

In contrast, while the Ricoh had the hardest to use power button, the function buttons are very easy to use. The ricoh also has a slightly wider lens, at 30mm instead of the usual 35mm. And the Ricoh is the only camera of these to actually extend the lens when pre-focussing. This results in no shutter lag when using this feature.</p>

<p>Will the Ricoh become my favorite compact 35mm camera? I havent used either of these so time will tell.</p>

<p>Finally the Olympus Stylus Epic. This is the smallest of the lot (not counting the XA). The 35mm lens is a bit faster at f2.8. But it is actually a bit thicker than the BM or Ricoh due to the sliding cover. The sliding cover turns the camera on, so it is the easiest in this group. However the function buttons require a fingernail to use. The Epic seems faster than the T4's lag time.<br>

These come with different features. Some have date imprint, some dont. Some have panorama, some dont. I prefer the plain jane with no extras.<br>

The lens on this is fantastic. Easily just as good as the T4. But the Epic tends to use the lens wide-open all the time. Good for quick snaps and action, not so good for forground/background pics.<br>

Heres my best shot with it:</p><div>00YoVx-364309584.thumb.jpg.1ab1c2005b8556faa2656cc8a0949629.jpg</div>

I have the Konica before the Big Mini: the A4. Same lens, but has built in lens cover. Also macro mode reqires push of a

button. The A4 was the first (or one of the first) of the compact, precision, single focal length AF cameras. The Samsung

AF slim was a good copy of the Big Mini, BTW.

<blockquote>

<p>The Samsung AF slim was a good copy of the Big Mini, BTW.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Could be either way. The Samsung AF Slim was also branded Rollei Prego AF which predates the Konica A4 if memory serves.</p>

<p>The Nikon L35AF was a milestone for sure. I carried one into the Ajo mountains in Arizona many years ago and really liked it.</p>

<p>But my next compact, a Leica Mini II was even better and they are all so cheap today, it's worth a look. Smaller, lighter, faster, it made some nice 16x24's with it's 35mm Elmar.</p>

<p>OK, so today I was out shooting Black and White and I brought a Olympus Stylus (original) with me loaded with ektachrome. The Stylus is a hair larger than the Epic. It has a little more of a grip on the left side as well. This makes it much more enjoyable to use with both hands. The lens is a more conservative 35mm f3.5. When I get the film back in a week or so we will see how they turned out.</p>

<p>One big plus for this version is the control buttons on top are actually raised from the top. This makes pressing these buttons so easy you can probably wear ski gloves and use this camera.<br>

And yes you have to use these buttons a lot so turn off the flash. All these have this same problem. But at least you ~have~ the option to turn off the flash. Unlike cheaper models.</p><div>00YpBC-365007684.jpg.9c186cfeb14a3371d29d7ffaaa9221e6.jpg</div>