I just recently found out that Lee Friedlander was also involved in the genre

of social landscape photography, I'd like to learn more about this genre,

perhaps some of you can relate your own involvement - why you appreciate the

genre - and provide links to your social landscape images or images taken by

others. And furthermore: what, in your opinion, should a social landscape

photo convey, is there a standard message to the viewer? Greetings and best

wishes.

Duchan

This is from Wikipedia: "Working primarily with Leica 35mm cameras and black and white

film, [Lee] Friedlander's style focused on the "social landscape". His art used detached images

of urban life, store-front reflections, structures framed by fences, and posters and signs all

combining to capture the look of modern life."

I am glad you brought this up, Duchan. This is a rich concept to explore and to mine.

Hmmm...I always thought social landscape and s.p were pretty much interchangeable. The worst thing I think is for someone to think that they have to fall into an m.o. in order to feel that they are doing thing by the book. Just take pictures I always say.

I thought that 'social landscape' was just an extension of Street Photography/Social Documentary but also gained influences from the 'stream of conciousness' photographers that preceeded the likes of Friedlander therefore the photgraphy was as much about the photgrapers experience as it was about the exercise of 'documenting'. Could be completely wrong. Only starting to read more about the history of photography etc so don't tear this apart too much.

• 4 weeks later...