Sirphilo.com via Smug Mug site.

sirphilo

<p>Phil: Thanks for sharing your website. As a preface, I looked at your site using IE8 using a screen resolution of 1440x900; you should of course ensure that your site displays consistently across the major browsers and that it displays well on varying screen resolutions. </p>

<p>First impression on front page: You have some nice images; however, the slideshow box did not completely fit on my screen without scrolling down. The portrait images were cut off and although the landscape images where completely visible the slideshow box was still cut off. I would consider resizing things so that your slideshow box completely fits above the fold (the part of the screen people will see when they first load your page. If you want to keep the film strip below the fold I would suggest visually separating it from the framing of the larger image above.</p>

<p>The second thing I noticed was the two links at the top of page. Personally, I think these are too prominent. At first I thought “Home Page” was the default text where your name was supposed to go; only later did I see that your name was listed lower and in smaller text. Also to give your site more of a design element I would consider using the way your name is written in the watermark to present your name on the site instead of the plain text.</p>

<p>Font Color: the font you used for your footer is very difficult to read on any of the pages other than the index page. Your background gradual fades to a light color, but on the pages with less content, the footer is against a much darker background and is—like I said—very difficult to read. </p>

<p>The same is true for the bread crumb path and the navigation text that is displayed whenever you click on a gallery. In short I would change the font color.</p>

<p>The purple color used to display keywords is a little strange from a design perspective but I can read it with out issue.</p>

<p>Minor typographical things:</p>

<p>On the first page there should be no spaces in “photo – artist”; I’m not a grammar expert but personally I would get rid of the hyphen—to me photo is an abbreviation for photographic so it’s not a compound word nor is it a compound adjective. The hyphen comment applies to photo-artist on the top of your page too, but there you have no spaces.</p>

<p>On the first page at the bottom you end all your sentences with punctuation except the one with your email address. I can understand the logic of not putting it there as a user might get confused and copy the period as part of the address, but I thought I would point it out.</p>

<p>Your blog page: I’m not sure what your goal is for these pages; however, I do note that you have something about selling your pictures at the top of your home page as well as the blog. If you are trying to present a commercial face I would dump the free hosting. Hosting is so cheap these days there is no reason to have the ugly advertisements across the top of your blog page. If this is primarily a personal project, that of course is a different.</p>

<p>Also, on your sidebar of the blog you have some stuff with no content, i.e. the media player, the bio text, blogroll, callender. I would either remove these or add content to them.</p>

<p>Consistency with links: On the smugmug page your home link goes to the smugmug page; on the blog page the home link goes to the blog page. In some ways this might be technically correct, but I would set your links up so there is consistency across the pages (e.g. the blog links go to the blog, the home pages links go to the smugmug site)</p>

<p>Hopefully that will give you a place to work from. Thanks again for sharing your site. Please don’t take the above as criticism but rather as constructive feedback. I know I tended to focus on what can be improved rather than the good, but I feel like that is the most helpful.</p>