Sigma 400mm F5.6 M42

guy_gervais

<p>Hmmm. It doesn't say APO so my gut feeling is the lens is not an especially great optic. The original Sigma 400mm f5.6 had a 72mm filter thread and there were two versions an APO and non APO. The non APO scored very poorly in the old Photodo ratings. I had the APO version which was optically a nice lens (and VERY light for this focal length) Mechanically however there were many issues. <br>

They are a rather delicate lens design. My old K mount APO version is sitting in a box too bruised to use.<br>

That all said this lens design seems to even pre-date the old 72mm version that I own.</p>

<p>Guy, not that I want to stop you from having fun, but I do want you to keep as much money as possible while having it. So my recommendation is <strong>NO, don't buy it.<br /> </strong></p>

<p>For $100 or so more you can find yourself a Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD in PK/A mount that will run circles around this Sigma as far as performance is concerned.</p>

<p>I have a 400/5.6 Vivitar TX which has internal focusing and interchangeable mounts. It's a decent lens. What you have to ask yourself is how large a print you intend to make and how careful you will be keeping the lens steady when you shoot. Good technique with a modest quality 400 will give much better results than sloppy technique with a top quality 400.</p>

<p>Jeff,<br>

There are issues though with non-APO lenses that even outstanding technique can't correct. Because of the long focal length colors can actually separate and not focus at the same place (Chromatic aberrations). This is an issue with my 500mm f4.5 Takumar and some of my older lenses. So while in principle I would agree with you, bad technique trumps a good lens you can't always say that outstanding Technique trumps a bad lens. </p>

<p>This is pretty rough in my mind but the Photodo score for the non-APO were like 1.6(out of 5) and for the APO version I think it was closer to 3</p>