Shutter Repair for Contax III

I would recommend Eddy Smolov. His work is prompt and quality is excellent. I've had a Contax II, III and Leica IIIc repaired and in each case the work was done in less than two weeks at a cost of $75. Henry Scheerer is great. I had a Contax If repaired at a cost of $750 but his work is on par with Eddy's, not ten times as good. RCB

One small consideration that could be important depending on how one might feel about the value of the camera is this.

I have a buddy that a few years ago sent his Contax II to a repair person with a "Good Reputation" (none of those mentioned in this thread, for sure) for a broken shutter curtain repair and was reasonably satisisfied with the repair. The camera developed some shutter sticking problems so he took it in to a local shop for a quick CLA. There it was found that in the earlier servicing the shutters broken parts had been replaced with Russian Kiev (Contax copy/continuation)parts. They don't make Contax parts anymore so I can see how a camera tech would need to get what was available to complete the job. My friends main issue was that he was not informed in the first place.

I've read in Mr. Scherer's site that he does not carry or service Kiev items at all to avoid any such "cross contamination"; a little research of Eddie Smolov shows that he does excellent work on all manner of Eastern European and Russian cameras so as such could be surrounded by all sorts of Kiev parts.

Don't get me wrong, I would not slag the Kievs, I dearly love the two I have but they are not quite Contax's. And even more, I would be the last to question the integrity of those who lovingly keep our beloved machines going and going. They are next of kin to the gods in my eyes. However, if the above is of any concern to you then it would be a subject that I would certainly bring up with any repair person about to touch my Contax.

I can also vouch for Ken Ruth's work. BTW, Raid, when you write "black dial" Contax III, do you mean a black dial Contax IIIa (significantly different camera)? If so, Wolf Umbach of Z-V Camera Service can fix the shutter. Also, there is little risk of "contamination" as the Kievs have few similarities w/the post-WWII Contax cameras.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I plundered here looking for references for Eddy Smolov, and since this thread as well as a couple of others said he was good and reasonably priced I sent him a Pentacon 6 TL with a broken shutter. Turnaround was quick, price was reasonable, and the work is excellent.

So after that I asked about Japanese cameras, since he's clearly known as a European camera guy, and he said no problem. I sent a Yashicamat with a broken Copal shutter mechanism. Again, turn around was very quick, price was very reasonable, and after several rolls of film this camera works flawlessly as well.

So, the address 123camerarepair@gmail.com is still good, and the recommendations here and other threads were spot on. I'm a pretty happy camper.

MB