Shutter noise of Nikon D700 versus D300

gurbally_seth

<p>I don't know what you define as "fairly loud", but I find the D300 shutter and mirror slap to be quite a bit quieter and gentler than the D40's. I'd expect the D700's to be louder than the D300's because the larger image pane requires a larger shutter and mirror.</p>

<p>First of all, the D700 have a newly-configured mirror box designed to lessen mirror black-out times. There's also a new mirror balance mechanism that greatly reduces mirror bounce , replaceing the conventional one henge mechanism . I find the D700 mirror sound to be odd, but not loud. In fact I don't like the sound at all. The complex mirror movement sound like something is gonna break ...If you think the D700 makes a lot of noise you should listen to the D3 shutter sound.</p>

<p>I had the opposite experience to Lil. I shot with the D300 for approx. 2,500 actuations, it was the quietest mirror slap of any Nikon D-SLR I've used. </p>

<p>My D700 - out of the box, was by far the loudest mirror slap of any Nikon D-SLR I've used until approx. 6,000 actuations, it has since become much more silent in operation, and subjectively speaking, nearly as quiet as the D300. </p>