Shutter Actuations

wmwhee

<p>Take a photo with the camera, download the photo from the camera to your computer, then view the EXIF data with a free EXIF viewer such as <a href="http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/">Opanda IExif</a>. Do not edit the photo with image editing software prior to checking the data. Near the bottom of the EXIF file will be an entry that shows the total number of shutter actuations.</p><div>00YOdN-339625584.jpg.074e2f22b522653ad4155b5a819e86c5.jpg</div>

Yes, from a NEF, anyway. ExifTool (Google it) shows it as "Shutter Count". I also checked it with Bridge CS5, but I do not see it in the File Info panel.

My own ImageIngester also handles it and shows it using the ImageIngester macro {@exif.Actuations}.

(Checked this on a NEF from 2005 taken with my D70.)

<p>when do shutters really fail? I think I've heard 100k is a good expectation for a consumer camera but pro cameras are tested for 150k.<br>

Last time I checked, my shutter (D90) was at 18k. Now it is at 29k. I'm shooting about 2k clicks per weekend at bike races now.<br>

I've also noticed my CH mode sometimes starts with a stutter. The first shot will sometimes be delayed... then a delay before the second... then a continuous stream. Is that normal? It doesn't happen often, but I noticed it this weekend. I wait for the right moment to shoot and then it doesn't go... hmmm... has anybody else noticed this or am I just crazy?</p>

<p>Nice! Didn't know you could use Preview on a Mac to see your shutter count.</p>

<p>Using it, I found my D300 just surpassed 250,000 exposures this evening--if I'd have known before now that milestone was in the offing, I'da brought a bottle of champagne to the shoot.</p>

<p>When do they die? Dunno precisely, although I know exactly what an expiring one feels like. I've already killed the original shutter in this camera at the 160,000+ mark, and I also destroyed one in my old D70 at well over 100,000 exposures. Now I'm gonna have to pull that thing out of the drawer and pop off a shot with it to see what shutter count it's sitting on!</p>

<p>I am the original owner of my d70, and it shows only 14,000 actuations. Lately, the mirror on the d70 has been hanging up and an err message appears in the viewfinder. Lately, I have had to fire the shutter a number of times to "clear" the problem before being able to take an actual picture. Don't know if it's a shutter problem or something else. While I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars having the camera repaired, I wouldn't want something else on the camera to give out right away. As an amateur, I don't feel the need (desire, yes) to have the latest and best digital camera.</p>

<p>I am the original owner of my d70, and it shows only 14,000 actuations. Lately, the mirror on the d70 has been hanging up and an err message appears in the viewfinder. Lately, I have had to fire the shutter a number of times to "clear" the problem before being able to take an actual picture. Don't know if it's a shutter problem or something else. While I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars having the camera repaired, I wouldn't want something else on the camera to give out right away. As an amateur, I don't feel the need (desire, yes) to have the latest and best digital camera.</p>

<p>I am certain that a shutter used continuously in profesional use like sport for example, is going to run for a lot higher count than one that is used occasionally. Most working pros will probably replace after 1 or 2 years and as 100 - 200k shots for a pro wont take that long.<br>

For amateurs at taking10K per year, the shuttter count is not likely to be an issue for several years . in any case a camera is far likely to become obsolete well before it will wear out in normal use.</p>