Shrine

MrAndMrsIzzy

O.K. This is actually going to be in three parts. I would've preferred one part, but the last time I tried that (Empire State Building) it didn't quite work the way I wanted it to , so three parts it is. Also. I don't know if I'm violating any posting rules, but if I am, please accept my apologies.

Now! Technically, this should probably be in "Techniques", but it was described in answer to a question posted here in "Critiques" so here it is.

I didn't get around to digitizing this image till 2018, at which time I no longer had the negative to scan. I did however still have the print. That being the case I set up a table top studio (shoebox with one end and the top removed, Digital Rebel with Tamron 28-300 lens, on a tripod a couple of feet away). Light was provided by a fixture hanging from the ceiling, and the print was propped up at the closed end of the shoebox. This is how the first shot (unedited except for resizing to post) came out.

D032418E012SmallPNet.jpg.6ffe96b1e6896fe28d93f092f8aeacf3.jpg

Izzy From Brooklyn

As you can see, it's pretty well blown out. But, some of our neighbors do watercolors. Something about this blown out version reminded of some of their work, and I regard a photograph as just as much a piece of art work as a painting. Granted the tools are different but the basic principles (composition, highlight, shadow, shape, form, proportion, etc.) are the same, so I decided to put it through the editing program and see what came out.

D032418E013-1SmallPNet.jpg.55fc012daf39cd57351b3e7bda0cc6c8.jpg

Izzy From Brooklyn

Frankly, proper scanning will get the best results, .

Granted. But when you don't have a proper scanner (or reasonably ok access to one), you have to make do with what you do have.

In this case I didn't have the scanner, but I did have the print, the camera, the tripod, and the shoebox. So! That's what I used.

Izzy From Brooklyn