Should our photographer give us partial refund for being late for wedding and over a month late on photos?

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by jenni_breitwieser, Nov 19, 2010.

1. I'm at a loss as of what to do about our wedding photographer. First of all, she was 40 minutes late for our wedding. Because of that our family and friends had to wait over 20 minutes for our wedding to start. Now she is over a month late with our photos. We didn't realize till a few weeks ago that she never sent our signed copy of the contract. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like we deserve some sort of partial refund. I also don't know how to ask for a copy of the contract without upsetting her. We really just want our photos, but it's been a nightmare waiting for the photos. She's not good at keeping in contact with us either. I understand that mistakes happen, I'm just feeling like we are being taken advantage of. We haven't had any harsh words with her and we've been overly understanding at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

2. In theory, no contract means you don't have a leg to stand on. I'd say, give her a call and she what she has to say. If you had paid 200-300 US dollars to shoot a wedding, chances are that you had hired a GWC - guy or girl with a camera rather than a photographer.
    If they are not able to respond within an acceptable timeframe, then ring the local newspaper and see if a journalist would like to do an article on shoddy GWC posing as a photographer in the local area.

3. I am wondering if there is a problem with the photos and she is trying to hide that fact. Do you have anything in writing (i.e. email) that says when the photos will be available?
    I think being understanding is great, to a point, but clearly it's not working, so ramp it up a bit. The customer should always receive a timely, professional response.

4. What does contact mean? Phone calls or email? Most misunderstandings can be straightened out with a phone call. Email is just too passive. I'd try calling several more times, maybe even a few times a day. Keep it cordial- threatening to sue or call the paper means nothing if you aren't willing to back it up. Keep in mind that once you begin to behave badly, there's very few alternative paths if it doesn't get the result that you want.
    What does a month late mean? Does that mean the wedding was a month ago? Two, three, months ago?
    I've never given a refund for any misunderstanding. I've given free product, but never a refund.
    Also, the next time you sign a contract, get a copy of it. Or if you're mailing it back to a contractor, xerox it. Don't depend on the other party for your copy.

5. hi jennifer welcome tp photonet. agree with above. you say you signed a contract. maybe a polite enquiry reminding her of her obligation?( not legal advice)nb regards miken

6. It sounds like she probably has another job, kids to tend to, things of that nature. Take a look at the photo's before asking for a refund of the first 40 minutes. Send a letter demanding the images by such and such date. I would think 2 to 3 weeks is a fair amount of time.

I would surely ask why she was late, then decide what you want to do, such as trading time for a wall enlargement or something like that. Photographers in general would rather trade work then pay out a refund.

I've never been late for a wedding, but bad things can happen, such as freeways being jammed up, the car won't start, sick, flat tire,whatever. I think I would play it cool and see whats up, then figure out what you would like to do. Perhaps nothing if it didn't effect your photos, such as missed out photos that were needed to tell a story of the day.

7. In theory, no contract means you don't have a leg to stand on.​
    No, not having a copy of the written contract doesn't mean that you have no leg to stand on. It just means it's a bit more awkward to work out exactly what was agreed.
    How do you know she is a month late? Was a particular period for delivery of the images agreed? If so, how and where - by email or your recollection of the written contract that you don't have a copy of, something she said, or somewhere else? First you need to be able to show that she is late.
    It may not necessarily be best to go straight for the jugular, but perhaps at this stage a letter pointing out that the pictures are late, that especially in view of the fact that she had been late for the wedding you had hoped to be treated better, and if she could urgently let you know (give a shortish deadline for a response) when the pictures are ready. If no response to that, then send a letter with more menace in it. If no adequate response to that, then it may be time to start talking to lawyers...
    Turning up 40 minutes late to the wedding is pretty extraordinary. But then again, accidents and unforeseen circumstances can happen (one reason why I think most professional photographers would turn up or at least be in the vicinity of the venue an hour or more early).

8. In theory, no contract means you don't have a leg to stand on.​
    Money was paid in exchange for a shoot and images. Offer, acceptance, consideration and partial performance. Classic contract formation and indicia. What theory says Jennifer has no "leg to stand on"?
    (Simon posted his message while I was writing mine. I agree with his comments).

9. I wouldn't pitch any fits or get aggressive before you have the photos in hand.

10. One should not have to beg for communication or their images. Don't call...keep everything in writing!

11. Thanks everyone for your responses. We did have a contract but didn't realize that it hadn't been sent back to us (our bad). I have no intention of suing or being threatening in anyway. I understand mistakes happen and some things are out of our control. She was 40 minutes late because she got lost. We were incredibly understanding. At that point, we were just happy she was there. In all the commotion of trying to get in touch with her, we didn't have a chance to finish explaining to a friend to video tape the wedding, so now we have no video of it. She emailed me that it would be 4-8 weeks. It's been over 12 at this point. From what we can tell, she's a professional. We choose a $650 package that included 3 hours of photographing and 3 hours of editing. She had more expensive packages that were similar to other sites we looked at. Since it was a small and intimate non-traditional wedding, we didn't need the 6+hours and unlimited editing. We've have been nothing but understanding with her. I call, she doesn't answer. There's not much I can do with that. I understand that most of you are probably wedding photographers. I'm not trying to upset or offend anyone. I'm just trying to get some ideas and opinions on what to do. I don't plan on bad mouthing this person, I only hope she learns from this and doesn't put anyone else through this. I'm just frustrated and feeling taking advantage of. That's all. And from what we've seen, she's a wonderful photographer. Her communication skills are what sucks. Thanks again to everyone for the responses.

12. In my opinion, nothing more, you deserve a refund. It is the photographer's responsibility to be on time. Because stuff happens, I always arrive at a site very early, sometimes as much as two hours if it's out of town. It's unacceptable that your photographer did not leave room for error. The one time when a misunderstanding occurred between myself and the client about the time to report, I was about 15 minutes late for pre-ceremony formals because I would normally have been 45 minutes EARLY at that hour! It was sort of the bride's fault for having one time in an old email and a later time in the online booking page, but since I did not look in the old emails and confirm it, I gave her a $100 print credit just to relieve any stress caused. And again, I would have been much later if I had been on my way to be there an hour earlier. When the Maid of Honor called me frantically, I was already on the way and almost there - not an hour away like I would have been if I hadn't left early as a matter of course. You do what you have to do to make the client happy. Period. Even though the bride later apologized and took the blame for putting the wrong time in, I still gave her the credit. That's what a professional does.
    If there are any of you out there who don't know how to run a business in a service-driven industry like ours, my suggestion is to take a week and spend it at a resort hotel at Disneyworld. Observe the standards they maintain for service on every level. Learn. If you're not sure how to handle a situation, ask yourself What Would Disney Do! ; )
    This person does not sound like a professional. I'm so sorry you are having such a lousy experience. This is very much a word-of-mouth driven industry. It boggles my mind sometimes how often I hear of GWC (I love that acronym, Starvy) making us look bad because of their own bad behaviors. You're not likely to recommend them, now are you? Of course not.

13. I disagree about not calling. By calling, you may get your photographer to respond much more promptly, particularly if you can communicate grace in your tone of voice, even across more than one voice message (left same-day or over a couple of days).
    If she isn't happy with the results, or if she is behind on editing, she may be too embarrassed to initiate contact, and worried about your reaction. A friendly, patient tone in your voice message(s) may draw her out. This is not to say that you should excuse poor results or poor communication -- only that the first thing you want is to hear from her.
    I do agree with Theresa that a written record is useful, so, after calling a couple of times, you might follow up with an email summarizing your efforts to contact her -- again, keeping it as friendly as you can. You might also email a summary of each conversation, to confirm that you're both on the same page about next steps and terms upon which you have agreed verbally.
    I can't say whether expecting a partial refund is appropriate until you can tell us about the photos themselves -- if you're thrilled with the product, you may not feel so annoyed by the photographer's lateness. If you're not, then (to put it simply), the tardiness probably won't have been the most serious offense.

14. Jennifer, a good percentage of wedding photography has absolutely nothing to do with a camera. Much of it is people skills, of which this shooter has little to none. 12 weeks is far too long IF that expectation was not laid out at the beginning by the photographer.

15. Even though most people here may be wedding photographers, I think most, probably all, of us will have our sympathies absolutely with you, not her. 40 minutes late is difficult to excuse. There are several ways we make sure this couldn't happen - if the venue is far away, we'd aim to get there perhaps two or three hours early. Or if it's more than a couple of hours away - set off the night before and stay overnight in a hotel close by. We'd also visit the venue some weeks before (unless it really was many hours away, in which case we'd set off the day before) so we'd know where it was and exactly how to get there, with a backup transport plan. Being late simply isn't something that can be even contemplated.
    It doesn't take 12 weeks to do 3 hours of editing. But 3 hours sounds odd - I can't imagine editing a wedding in anything like 3 hours. It typically takes us 50 hours or more hard work editing, though that's probably a bit extreme in the other direction (and for longer coverage) - but 3 hours!? It rings alarm bells for me.
    $650 also sounds extremely cheap and rings more alarm bells. It can't be enough for a professional to survive on unless she is doing many weddings a week. Which may mean that she is not really professional, or it may mean that she had to take on so many weddings to survive that now she can't cope with preparing the images and is months behind in preparing the images.
    The only reason to tread a little bit carefully with her and not get heavy immediately is that she still has your wedding photos, and it may not necessarily help to let the relationship get ugly too quickly. It sounds like you have been more than patient, but phone calls are not much use, you need to be putting your demands/requests in writing. Don't phone her, at the very least email, even better letter, with a copy of the letter and a record of the date posted. The time for phoning is past - if she hasn't responded to your calls so far, she won't start now. Get all the correspondance in writing. If I were you I would be looking to start getting legal, or at least threatening to do so, if she doesn't give an adequate response to the next two letters.

16. I'm with Ian and others. Pick up the phone and call. Yes, it's important in some cases to have a written record. But AFTER the phone call, you can send a nice email memorializing what was said in the phone call.
    I find that an awful lot of my brides simply don't know how to write well. This isn't a knock; it's a sign of the times. Most people don't express themselves well or fully in writing, and they have great difficulty expressing requests that they're not sure they should be making. That's why I personally BEG people to call me. It saves time. I'm good on the phone, they're good on the phone, and we can usually clear up misunderstandings quickly and painlessly. I would much rather have people call me than sit and stew.
    And after the phone call, I email them and record what we said and agreed on. Works for me.
    Now, if you call and simply can't reach the photographer, or if you leave numerous messages and she doesn't respond, well, then it starts to get more worrisome.
    Will

17. I promise you that I've been nothing but understanding and patient. I only want our photos or some answers. I feel like we've been an exception to the rule on how a bride and groom would react. We had fun while taking the pictures after the ceremony and I really like her. I'm just wanting better communication. That's just part of the job. I'm sure if something bad happened with the pictures it would be incredibly hard to call the clients, but once again, that's part of the job. Even with this whole experience, I hope that her business does well. From what I've seen, she's talented. It will probably end up being more of a learning experience for her than me, seeing that I only plan on doing this marriage thing once. I do appreciate everyone's comments though.

18. Do you have her address? If she isn't answering calls, then go see her, pretty simple really--is she still alive? You know there can be many reasons for all of this and maybe you need to do a little leg work. It isn't professional what has happened, although getting lost might be an honest mistake, but there may some extenuating circumstances--like severe illness. Go see her and let her know you were worried about her since she hasn't responded. Then you will have a better idea about what you are really dealing with.

19. If all the good faith in the world doesn't get anywhere, a lawyer's letter delivered by bailiff will usually result in a reponse. It's what lawyers are for; when two people sitting across the table can't agree.

20. Michael, I think there is a time and place for that, to be sure, but I think Jennifer is trying to find out what is going on and fully expects the photos will be wonderful. If she was or is getting blown off and not getting attention to her requests, that is one thing. If she just hasn't heard back from the photographer, then that is another. Once the facts are actually ferreted out, the action will be more clear.
    I am not suggesting that getting a lawyer involved isn't an option, but I guess I think people need to find ways to work together first, people have gotten so litigious these days and in this case, there isn't a clear reason why things haven't moved along--get some clarity, then maybe a lawyer is in the cards--or not!

21. Jennifer,
    Do your best to settle this on a friendly basis. The money you've paid isn't substantial compared to the value of your special photographs and if she delivers what you expect, I'd let the rest ride.
    She may be a talented photographer, but will probably never be successful in business if this is how she handles her clients. Hiding behind the phone and email is no way to treat a customer and chances are that this trait of hers will never change......-TED :)

22. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

Jennifer, your information and desires are not exactly clear, to me.
    Since the Wedding –
    1. You have telephoned on how many occasions?
    2. The Photographer has answered the phone how many times?
    3. Does the Photographer have message bank on the phone – do you leave messages?
    4. The photographer has communicated with you only once and that was an email stating the photos would be ready in 8 weeks?
    5. At this time, you want what, as the “best outcome” for you?:
    a) the Wedding Photos
    b) a reduction in price and the Wedding Photos
    c) an explanation and better communications - and then you will decide what you want next.
    WW

23. Jennifer, I'm sorry you've had this experience. Your photographer disrupted your wedding day, and now has kept you waiting for the photos significantly longer than you expected based on your agreement with her.
    You asked whether a refund would be appropriate, not for advice about how to talk with her. Perhaps a partial refund would be appropriate, but -- and I think this is why we've discussed how to communicate with her so much, here -- you may want to wait until you have the photos before addressing that question, because you don't want to remove any existing incentives for her to deliver.
    Unless, that is, you conclude that a full refund is due, along with whatever images she took in whatever condition they are currently in. If you are at (or when you get to) the point where you are contemplating demanding a full refund, communicating the possibility in advance may prompt a quick response. "Your failure to deliver images by the contracted deadline, your failure to communicate or respond to even the simplest repeated requests for information, and your failure to arrive on time at the wedding (and the resulting delay to the ceremony) justify a full refund and immediate delivery of all images, regardless of the level of editing performed to date. We do not wish to make such a drastic demand, and you can help us avoid it by responding within 48 hours." Use your own words.
    I hope that the photos she took are precious to you, that she responds to you (with an explanation that helps smooth things over), and that she delivers great photos to you right away, Jennifer. Please let us know how things turn out, would you?

24. John, I was merely pointing to the alternative since many good suggestions have already been offered.
    Jennifer has waited patiently for over 12 weeks when 4-8 weeks was promised. While I also believe one should first seek an amicable resolution to the matter, the law is there to protect victims against tortious acts should matter become unresolvable. Our litigious society perhaps speaks more about the numbers of tortfeasors than victim attitudes; nice guys finish last because they don't fight back. We'd have an explosion in numbers of lawsuits if every victim did fight back.

25. Jennifer,
    Jennifer you have a "good leg to stand on" in this case, in fact, an excellent case.
    "No contract = No leg to stand on." This is true only in real estate transactions.
    Yours is the perfect case for Small Claims Court, Justice Court, or whatever its called in you location.
    The photographer was late, shot your wedding (your guests can vouch for both), you paid money and you have no pictures. Make the photog prove otherwise.
    Justice Courts filing fees are very low, and you won't need an attorney. Just tell the Judge your honest side of the story. Ask for your $650, plus compensation for being late, and emotional damages - you have no pictures of your wedding. And ask for the raw photo files from the photog so that you can have a 3rd party process and print them for you, and for those costs in addition to all else. You may not get everything you ask, but if you don't ask, you are certain to get nothing.
    Also, the photog got lost. ? ? ? ? Absolutely no excuse whatsoever, not at all. The photog was too ******* lazy to look up the location on google maps, before he left the house ? ! ? ! ? PUH-LEEEEAZE, GIVE ME A BREAK. They've had maps of North America for over 600 years! That is the height of L-A-Z Y. (and it is stupid)
    Best of luck with your case.
    Roger Dennis

26. the law is there to protect victims against tortious acts... ...Our litigious society perhaps speaks more about the numbers of tortfeasors than victim attitudes​
    This situation has nothing to do with torts. Its a contract matter where even late performance will satisfy the material obligations. Action may be needed but this is still a customer relation/business issue for the moment. I would be wary of "drastic" and premature reactions although more action may be necessary if the situation starts becoming futile.

27. William Michael

This situation has nothing to do with torts . . . I was wondering when that was going to be corrected.
    this is still a customer relation/business issue for the moment. . . agree 100% and I still believe not enough info from the OP.
    I would be wary of "drastic" and premature reactions . . . absolutely.
    although more action may be necessary if the situation starts becoming futile. . . yes. IMO "futility” has not yet been established.
    WW

28. From the sound of things - you're being overly calm and reasonable -
    Couple of questions: (in addition to William's)
    1) has she posted any images of your wedding anyplace? Facebook? portfolio? blog?
    2) Has she posted any images of events shot either at the same time as your wedding or after to any of the same sources?
    My personal opinion is that there is something else going on here - especially since she (per contract) is limited to 3 hours of editing and 3 hours of shooting. If I had a 3 hour edit rule in my contract - the wedding would be turned around with-in a week. Pretty simple to block 3 hours and edit.
    Dave

29. I would contact some of the guests to see if any of them took any photos. That might be your best chance of a wedding photo. No real advice on the photographer, just keep trying for a while but it sounds like the photographer's intent is not positive.

30. I find it very amusing to see the package structure, x hours of photography and y hours of editing.That is bonkers, in my opinion.
    I always deliver to my clients the best images possible and definitely don't limit my editing hours (although I am efficient). Imagine making a sub-par delivery because the client didn't pay for "enough" editing hours. Absolute madness!
    I hope you get it sorted quickly!. The key is to make contact and come to a agreement for the schedule for delivery of all images as per your contract which, regardless of not posting you a copy, he/she should still honour.

31. I find it very amusing to see the package structure, x hours of photography and y hours of editing.That is bonkers, in my opinion​
    Absolutely. She does not sound like an experienced professional photographer at all. At that price, she would have to be averaging something like 3 weddings a week all year round (so let's say, five weddings a week in the summer) to make a basic living from it (allowing for business expenses). It's possible she is actually doing that, has just got overwhelmed by the number of weddings, didn't realise how much work each one was and is now finding out. Or it may be that something has gone wrong and she's avoiding facing it.
    Either way, it does not sound like the pricing, the business structure, the approach to editing, or the conduct of an experienced and professional wedding photographer.

32. Under promise, over deliver. That is my advice to the photographer in this case.
    Jennifer, firstly I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulty and while you probably thought you were getting someone that would fulfill your expectations, you unfortunately don't have a strong legal position at this point.
    My initial thoughts are to appeal to the photog. and ask if there is any problem, or is she/he just late and behind etc. Be as honest and clear as possible. Be ready to accept her/his reply as gospel, then ask for a firm commitment as to when the images will be forthcoming. Get that in an email/writing (not a phone call) for future use if needed. As a next step, if the commitment is not fulfilled, seek legal advice. If the commitment is fulfilled great. You may then want to approach the subject of the lateness and ask what refund is available for being late. Get the response in writing and keep for future use if needed. I expect there will be little if any refund and in this case I am sorry to say, you are probably getting more or less what you paid for.
    Please don't read that as harsh or meant to be rude to you, but often the less expensive services/products are just not up to the same consistent quality. I don't buy at Wal Mart as its a false economy. They are cheap for a reason.

33. bms

bms

Hey Jennifer,
    you have gotten excellent advice here.
    I could not help to do a little search and I think the photog is in my area. If this is indeeed who I think it is, she seems to be just starting out and while I would not cut her any more slack, I believe this can be mostly put down to a somewhat naive approach to her business.... not that such behaviour is very excusable IMHO. I would get in touch with her somehow (email, phone, swing by her place) and be firm that you want your photos now. Again assuming it is the one I am thinking of, she puts photos on facebook - don't know if you have checked it out or found yourself there yet.
    In my experience , while there are a few good, full time professional photogs here, they are certainly pricey. If it is any consolation, judging from what I see online of the above, you may actually get a decent value for you money.
    Bests,
    Ben

34. I'm glad I stopped shooting weddings when I did this for a living. Even in the film days there was always the chance of a dispute. So much emotion and expectation of perfection is floating around.
    My take on all this is to stay polite but firm. Don't let the issue overwhelm the memories of your wedding. The pictures are secondary. And I can tell you from my own bitter experience that these things have to ability to blow up into very hurtful issues.
    In my own case, not only did the photos not come out well at all, but my mother was given the task of sourcing the wedding cake. She wanted to give us a pink one and we wanted white. My mother made some crack at my wife about not being pure as denoted by white, and bang!...In the end my mother never came to the wedding and it cast a black cloud over everything, to my endless regret.

35. Ben -
    Google is an amazing thing isn't it?
    If that is the one and the same - it looks like Jennifer knows the photos are there - or at least some of them - since she commented on them.
    Based on the comments on her fb page -
    1) she didn't have or doesn't have a phone. although there is now a contact number for her.
    2) she has small children (or at least one child)
    3) she is balancing the photography with kids (editing until someone wakes up from nap)
    4) she is definitely posting new content, but it is spaced out between the event and posting.
    Based on that - I'd try to send her a message via FB or call the number on her fb site. If that gets no response - then I'd drive over to her location and see what's up.
    Dave

36. William Michael

"Google is an amazing thing isn't it?"
    :)
    WW

37. bms

bms

William W, David H
    ..indeed...

38. I actually think googling someone you don't know is a little creepy. I am aware of the photos. I haven't said anything negative about her or her business. I hope she figures it out and that it does well in the future. The comments I made were from shortly after the wedding when she posted 8. The others came about 3 weeks ago when we were told she was finishing up the colors that day. We still haven't received anything. I hope that no mentions her name or business. I just came on her looking for some insight and to hear others opinions. The fact is she was 40 minutes late. Our ceremony started 20 minutes after is was supposed to. We were scrambling around trying to get in touch. Our photos are about 5 weeks late. I know she has a kid. Many people out there work and have children. That's nothing new. We have been nothing but patient and understanding. So the few of you that seem to think I was not being truthful or that we did something wrong, we didn't. I'm just super frustrated like anyone else would be. All I'm looking for is open communication with her. Once again, I can't make anyone pick up their phone or email me back. I'm going to delete this whole thing soon because I"m super creeped out that some of you have googled me and found her. I don't want any negative things to be said about her or her business. So thanks everyone for your insight.

39. Jennifer, I don't think anyone was suggesting that you have been dishonest. And your queation is what prompted some to look for additional information, not in a creepy way (completely unfair, I think, for you to ascribe that trait or motive), but to gain additional insight into a problem that, I'm afraid, is not unique to you.
    I certainly agree that it would be inappropriate to publish information here that could lead others to identify your photographer (beyond the information that you have provided, of course, whuch appears to have been sufficient for some to do so). Your photographer did not seek publicity about her performance, here, and I am convinced that it was never your intention to subject her to such. I believe you will continue to find the professionals here perfectly willing to honor your intent.
    Note that none of the folks who listed facts about your photographer (e.g. kids) implied that these factors excuse her poor performance for you. In fact, they argue to the contrary, and offer further recommendations for you in response to your queation.
    I continue to hope you find the end result to be satisfying, and that you will return to this thread in the future to let us know how it turns out. We will remain interested.

40. bms

bms

Jennifer, sorry, not meaning to give you creepy vibes, just trying to help out (Moderator, if you can, go in and erase the initials I mentioned - or my whole post above). I intentionally did not mention name, webpage or location etc. The internet is full of information - and many of us have time on our hands :) When one puts one's business information out there on the web, one has to be careful. The fact that one of the posters actually found out pretty personal stuff can be scary - maybe your photog also needs little help managing her online persona.
    One reason I posted this was that these threads can get very "theoretical" without many facts.
    I actually think you should be more assertive - I think no one suggests dishonesty on your part and most condemn the photog for her "suboptimal" business practice. While I think she means well, maybe she is really overwhelmed.... but if you have an address, maybe a letter would be helpful, too?

41. Jennifer -
    Personally I don't think it's "creepy" to google a person - but that's not the point. The point is that the internet is wide open. Period. There is no privacy. It' would be very easy for her to google your name and find this thread. In fact it's the first 5 hits that pop up.
    You will notice - I did not name her nor her business. Nor will I give initials or location. Nor will I, even though you've confirmed (in my mind at least) that I and others have the right person.
    I'm not saying (nor did I mean to) that you've been dishonest or untruthful with us. I'm on your side - if there are sides to be chosen.
    40 minutes late? She should have picked up a phone and called. If she doesn't / didn't have one (which may be a possibility) find one. Seriously - if I'm doing a wedding - I scout out the location in advance - plus have a google map or gps available to direct me to the site.
    5 weeks late on the photos? Again - no excuse for poor business sense. I merely was looking to see if there were possible causes for the effect (why would she be so late in getting you your photos?). My observation of the facebook page - gave me enough information (as a parent and photographer) to make some assumptions about her time and the amount of time she has to dedicate to finishing photos.
    Business sense. And bottom line that's what we're talking about - business sense not photography. She shouldn't have to be asked for a refund - she should be providing it to your - with no prompting.
    Best wishes to you and I hope (sincerely) that you are able to get the photos of your wedding in a usable format.
    Dave

42. Moderator Note: I am asking everyone to respect the OP's request to not reveal any specific information about her photographer and this situation, beyond what has already been stated. Nothing positive or useful can come out of posting this information.

43. William Michael

Indeed.
    I also will mention that I doubt that anyone who thus far has noted they researched the topic had much other than research in mind.
    “I actually think googling someone you don't know is a little creepy. . . . I just came on [here] looking for some insight and to hear others opinions.”
    In fact, more was sought more than just opinions: advice was requested: "I'm at a loss as of what to do about our wedding photographer. . . . Any advice? Thanks."
    I note that this is a Public Forum. And the rules for posting are plainly displayed: http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use and http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/ - specifically:
    15. “Please think carefully before you post in a forum. Once past the self-edit time period anything you post will remain in the forum unless it violates the photo.net Terms of Use. If you say something that you later wish you hadn't there is no mechanism to remove it. Photo.net's policy is not to remove any user contributed material unless it violates the site's Terms of Use”

With the foregoing in mind, Jennifer please consider carefully, the following:
    1. Research often allows appropriate advice to be given.
    2. Advice comes in many forms – and it is often by astute experienced and good folk who are well meaning in the advice they want to give and/or to correct bad advice given by others.
    3. Often the results of research, provides an advice giver insights not provided by the requester and/or to ask specific questions of the person seeking help, such that the advice might be more tailored, specific and more useful.
    4. If adivce and assistance is still required, then I am still waiting for the answers to the questions I asked.
    5. The advice from all here is pro bono - on person's own time and at their own expense. In this regard, the thanks for the advice thus far, is appreciated.
    6. The implication of motive and intent being described as "creepy" is not appreciated: but it is understood as a natural and human emotive reaction and not necessarily based upon the facts.
    7. One would expect upon calm reconsideration and review of the words used in ALL the posts thus far a diffenet conclusion other than "creepy", might be drawn.
    WW

44. IMO, it is creepy. Jennifer simply stated her dilemma and asked for advice ... not to be investigated.
    Just because we can google anyone and delve into their personal lives doesn't mean we should ... any more than driving to someone's house and spying on them, or being an "Alice Kravitz" spying on a neighbor from behind a curtained window is acceptable. it amazes me how accessibility had eroded social decency. We've always had accessibility, the internet has just made it easier.
    Jennifer, you have been more than patient. I'd maintain that "benefit of doubt" demeanor, and send a registered letter stating your concerns followed by yet another phone call a few days later. If that is ignored, I'd go public, if that doesn't work then take it to small claims court.

45. Creepy would be if people here looked into someone's private history or had some kind of inappropriate intent. No one dug up private or sensitive information, much less discussed any such information here.
    It is not creepy to google a business owner who chooses to put her information into the public sphere, presumably for the purpose of allowing people to discover it and benefit her business. It is frankly offensive to impute mal-intent to those voluntarily participating in this forum to help advise the OP, and I just have no patience for it.
    The photographer in question chose to present the information about herself, discussed in this thread, to the public. If you have problem with people discovering and discussing that information, maybe just get over it.

46. William Michael

Researching a topic, or the Subject of a Topic which is placed here for discussion is certainly not creepy.
    The topic for discussion was a specific Photographer.
    That specific Photographer has placed various material at their shop widow for display – to the public.
    Seeking out public information which the Photographer purposely placed in their shop window – with the specific purpose for the public to see is no more or less than gathering information about the performance of a particular lens. . . similarities to spying activities and neighbours . . . are ridiculous.
    WW

47. To anyone who has researched the OP's name to learn the photogs identity, I say, BRAVO ! ! ! Good on all who did. (She has a website and a facebook page.)
    For the OP to not make a photocopy of their contract with the photog before mailing it:
    That's naive. You really should know better.
    To register to an online forum with a pseudonym and ask for advice on a legal matter in a manner not intended to embarrass anyone:
    That would have been intelligent.
    Research (especially online) is a healthy, intelligent way of life today. I appreciate and applaud a person who takes the time to become informed on any topic before they comment. We eat a lot less crow that way.

48. Moderator Note: The OP has received much good advice. Such being the case, I am closing this thread.