thoughts on this situation, and what might be a fair price for a

used model 5. I have ben in contact with a memeber of this forum

who has extensive experience with this machine, and he has been of

real help. I would simply appreciate more input from you before I

make my decision. I have read this instrument called a "Rube

Goldberg" invention, which is funny, but still doesn't solve my

dillema. I know film isn't the wave fo the future, but this might

still be a good investment. Thoughts?

Actually, small, niche markets for film development, of any kind, might just be profitable. All types of labs are and will under go further changes, i.e. less film development, and many won't be able to stay in biz. If you can provide a good, quality service for a decent price, you should find enough to keep you busy.

As far as a Wing Lynch, I only used 1 once about 20 years ago, and can't comment on its virtues.

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com

We had 6 wing liynchs at the paper at one time. There are a lot of valves and

solenoids that have to open and close at the right time. The maintance on the

machines takes time as well as money.If you have a valve stick open you can

loose a lot of chemistry. Unless you were doing a lot of film , I would pass on

doing this.

Alok, I have a pair of ATL-3 processors and also a Wing Lynch 4E (E-6 model) along with plenty of spare parts, and B&W & C-41 modules.

I was planning on donating it to my old high school, St. Mary's Hall-Doane Academy

http://www.The Hall.org

But if you're anywhere within a couple hundred miles you can pry it loose for a C-note... Or even a few cases of beer &/or something photographic in trade...

I've never before heard that the Wing-Lynch processors were known for putting out bad work. What I've consistently heard is that they were a bit more complex than might be desired, which means they get cranky and you have to learn to keep up with the thing and be ready to replace a relay or a seal when occasion demands. The other slap against them is that the fluid motion comes from compressed nitrogen, so you have another consumable item to keep up with, and maybe a few things to learn about handling pressurized gasses.

I've learned a ton about E-6 from the process and troubleshooting pages on the WL distributor's site.

Given a choice between a JOBO ATL and a WL I think I'd go with the ATL. On the other hand, it looks like a challenge so if someone nearby offered me a WL5 for a couple of hundred bucks I'd probably go shopping for nitrogen and jump in to figure the beastie out.

Van

Van, too bad you're in the middle of nowhere, and it would cost that in freight to ship mine out to you.

Truthfully, it was given to me when I bought my big Agfa film recorder: The shop had it for sale for $25; but with no takers they just gave it to me... Along with ten one gallon cartons of E-6 color dev, bleach; and other stuff!

I debated whether to put in production, going as far as getting the C-41 and B&W modules... But common sense prevailed, and I decided to stick with the Jobo.

I guess I'll go ahead, switch it over to B&W, and donate it...

Van, WL was certainly capable of good work if used and maintained with great care, but IMO they were typically used by labs that weren't sufficiently skilled to use and maintain them adequately.

Colenta rotary processors (same vintage as WL) were far more reliable and required far less maintainance. People bought WL because they were cheaper.