Should I buy keep the filter or buy a useful one for my collapsible summicron?

Should I buy keep the filter or buy a useful one for my collapsible summicron?

The filter currently on my cron came with a lens I bought a while ago. I don't like using uv filters, but I also want to keep the images as original as possible cuz adding colored filters would add more contrast. Thanks

_DSC0888.thumb.JPG.66de90f21e7a9dafa6e380ff179bc18b.JPG

_DSC0889.thumb.JPG.0806f7245e74d6981d758a27d0db464d.JPG

My collapsible Summicron 5cm dates from the early '50's on an M 3 from the same era that was my Dad's. It has rarely (if ever) been cleaned though filters have been cleaned regularly. The lens surface is perfect, even viewed with a loupe. It has an SL or UV on it all the time. This is a subject that generates strong opinions. You have mine, there will be others. Take your pick! Best of luck!

If your front element is pristine, I would get a good quality brass mounted UV filter like a B&W and keep it on the lens. Older glass types and early coating won't take as much abuse as current lenses. On my current digital gear, I use lens hoods always, but don't bother with filters. So far, I haven't had a problem with cleaning my newer lenses.

The lens surface is perfect, even viewed with a loupe. It has an SL or UV on it all the time" Sandy V.

If the original buyer took the advise of the camera store employee to also buy a protective filter, they were very fortunate.

As stated above, you can share in that proactive good fortune by finding this original buyer's version 1 Summicron with a mint front element !

In my experience, attempting to rehab a 'cleaning abrasions' cursed front element (Polish & Re-coating), typically results in loss of critical and factory specification resolution. So prospective buyers should make a strong effort to seek out one of these preserved low-mileage gems.

After-all like today, many considered Leicas to be the 'Rolls Royce' of cameras, back then this same 'Bling' was also being sold to "Doctors, Lawyers & Movie-stars"; these folks usually capitulated to camera salesman recommendations...

Edited by Gus Lazzari

The filter you have will tend to allow a period pop on lens cap to fall off. To me the only advantage of actually using a 1950s /60s Leitz filter is that it is lumpy enough to stop the Leitz metal lens cap falling off. It's a lens with soft coating and soft glass at the front. Any decent 39mm coated filter should serve to protect.

Just to keep this thread alive, I might mention that I tend to agree with Gus.

I, foolishly had my Summicron front surface polished maybe 30 years ago, on advice from my lens person, as the coating was embarrassingly damaged. While I couldn't bring myself to fit a UV filter, blame aesthetics & hubris, I have taken reasonable care since then. If I had a clean coated copy, I would, even then, have protected it. My second wife had used a pocket handkerchief to clean her Summarit 1.5, and I saw that as a worry.

Summar, Summitar, and collapsible Summicron all have exceptionally soft front elements made of flint (lead crystal) glass, and it is thus super-easy to scratch. Plus, the Leitz lens coatings of that period are exceptionally soft, and easily scratched and removed. You basically cannot apply ANY pressure to the front of these lenses when cleaning them, and have to use immaculately clean materials to clean them. It is incredibly easy to damage them. So these are lenses that absolutely cry out for using a UV filter at all times.

On more than one occasion I have had people touch the front of my lens on which I had a filter. I cleaned the filter. That is one reason to always have a filter on the front of an expensive lens. I also find that the filter gets dirty and I need to clean it periodically. Best to clean a filter not the surface of a lens.