Shooting with "models" in public parks, areas etc (more uk related)

alvinyap

<p>Hello pnetters,<br>

I am helping some of my friends who are into costuming (anime cosplay, specifically) do up a calander for their own personal use. Some of them have really sweet japanese kimonos and stuff, so my idea would be to shoot at a Japanese Garden. I tried to do it the proper way and contacted the authorities, and told them that I would like to bring my friends in to shoot, it would be non-commercial, I'm not professional, just a calendar for a bunch of friends but I was told straight off, unless I was a student (which I would get reduced rates) or a charity, it would be £XXX for a this amount of time. Let's just say for an hour at this park, I might as well go buy a new lens.<br>

I really do not want to run and gun, nor can I, as I want to shoot with brollies and grids etc.<br>

Would appreciate any thoughts on this :) I am hoping in autumn next year, to be able to get some of my friends down the main road of regents park, and I loan out a 300/2.8 and just shoot straight down, and all the golds and red dissappear into beautiful bokeh. :)</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>Another issue that might arise is the possibility of your models having visible weapons (quite likely if my son's anime gear is anything to go by). Here is the Met Police guidance.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.met.police.uk/filmunit/documents/flowchart_filming.pdf">http://www.met.police.uk/filmunit/documents/flowchart_filming.pdf</a></p>

<p>Having said that he goes to great lengths to make sure his weapons look the business but could not hurt anyone.</p>

<p>Looking at Luis's list above I can't see the Kew Gardens Japanese garden anywhere. Maybe not quite Japanese enough?</p>

<p>If you want special privileges to use a public or private area, expect to pay for that privilege. If you use models, props or equipment (other than a single camera and a tripod), expect to put up a liability bond as well, typically insurance valued at $1mm or more. If your activities intefere with other's use of the property, you may have to schedule it when the area is normally closed to the public.</p>

<p>Welcome to the adult world, Alvin.</p>

<p>I had a look at your blog, and some of the costumed people you've photographed in the past. Some kind of, any kind of, controlled location is going to go better for you than photographing these people at a convention. If that one venue told you they were keeping out the riff-raff, and that riff-raff was you, just move on to another spot. </p>

<p>Ditto John Kelly's advice. For cosplay pix anything goes. Heck, shoot in a studio with a green screen or other suitable background and shoop in whatever background or ambiance you or your friends like later on. No point sticking with reality for this type of scenario. I've seen plenty of cosplay-in-the-park shots already and most of 'em are ho-hum.</p>

<p>Hey all - thanks for the responses :)<br>

Luis: Thanks for the list, I actually got the same one when I was searching for the gardens :) Still a few more to go recce, hopefully one will work out.<br>

Colin: Cheers for the advice! I don't think we will be bringing weapons out :P But that said, my friends do realize the implications of this at conventions, and they do either use wooden props, props that obviously are not workable, or from what I understand, if you want to bring a realistic prop (like airsoft) - stay outside of the convention area.<br>

Edward: I doubt we will afford that, but still it is an excellent learning experience. Not interested to go pro, but perhaps this is an insight on the day to day challenges of a working professional?<br>

John: I assume you are refering to my job? :) I really am horrible with photoshop but love my raw converter :)<br>

Lex; Maybe that may be the way to go. Hate doing green screen - keying and perspective of the background is a pain.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>Royal parks have strict laws forbidding unauthorised commercial photography (from days of old, to stop the old "take your photo guv'" tourist traps I think) but for non-commercial photography it's possible they may not the authority to charge you or forbid you. It's not unknown for management of venues to overstep the mark. </p>