Shooting an NHL game: Does ticket type matter?

jdipierro

<p>I've been wanting to go see a local NHL game just to take pictures and I was wondering if anyone knew if it mattered what type of ticket I bought? If I just buy the cheapest ticket and then walk around, and go up to the ice to take pictures, are they going to make me go back to my seat?</p>

<p>Anyone have any advice for the best way to get into shooting a hockey game?</p>

<p>Justin -</p>

<p>First off - it depends on the team and arena rules regarding photography and cameras in general. </p>

<p>Second - No team / arena is going to let you into an area that you don't have a ticket for just to take photos - unless you have a media pass. </p>

<p>Third - Media pass holders are limited to certain shooting areas in the arena. They have photo pits that the press is pretty much stuck in.</p>

<p>Best thing to do - is 1) check the rules of the arena / team. Minnesota Wild - my home team is pretty liberal with cameras - I've brought my D300 w/70-200 f2.8 in 2 or 3 times now. 2) Get as good of seat as you can afford. If the face value is too pricey - try a ticket broker or street broker - but be aware of counterfiets. 3) don't try to walk down to the ice during the game - the ushers are there for a reason. You might be able to sneak down pre-game or during intermission - but other than that - the people paying $200.00 for a seat don't want people who don't pay around.</p>

<p>Press passes - Find a newspaper or web blogger to get you a pass. These are getting very difficult to get - unless you have a definite assignment or are working for an established source.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Justin, if you want to shoot hockey, have you tried local "little league" or high school leagues? They would most likely to more than glad to have a serious photographer shoot their games and make pictures available to parents. You might even make money off doing it. But for the NHL, no matter how cooperative the arena, you can't get good pictures through the glass or from anything other than front row seats, which are still behind the glass. There's a reason the news photographer are down on the ice. I just shot figure skating last night from the edge of the ice, and anything beyond about the central third of the rink was too far for closelups even with a 70-200 on a D200 crop-sensor camera. Also, as a former newspaper photographer and current PR executive, please don't go seeking press credentials at a professional sporting even unless you are legitimately working and doing so for a legitimate daily publication. There are too many photographers trying to put dinner on the table to make room for someone who just thinks it would be fun to shoot a game. I would love to go shoot pro sports and have a few connections but don't use them because it's very bad form to take a spot away from someone who's trying to earn a living.</p>