Sensor Damaged During Cleaning by Professional Dealer

amitc

<p>I purchased a new Nikon D3s along with a few lenses from a Nikon Professional Dealer in London in May 2011. I spent a total of GBP 10,000 (USD 16000) with this dealer.<br>

.<br>

Last week I walked into the store to make a small purchase and the store was offering a free sensor clean on the purchase of GBP 100. My camera was NEW and the sensor may have had the one odd dust particle in the corner. And because the offering was free and this dealer was a Certified Professional Store (and one of the biggest in London), I decided to take up the offer and get the sensor cleaned.<br>

.<br>

The next day when I walked into the store to collect the camera, the store informed me that the sensor got damaged during the cleaning process. The chemicals used during cleaning went under the low pass filter and destroyed the sensor.<br>

.<br>

This was a brand new camera that cost me a fortune and I was devastated.<br>

.<br>

The store manager informed me that the camera would have to be sent to Nikon for an evaluation and for now they have given me an off-the-shelf (used camera) replacement as a loaner.<br>

.<br>

I am pretty adamant at this point that the dealer replace my camera with a new camera or give me a full refund.<br>

.<br>

What would you do if you were in my situation? I saved money for 4 years to make this purchase and this is a big loss for me. What's your advice on the below:<br>

a. If Nikon were to repair the camera and replace the sensor (at the dealers cost), would you accept the repaired camera back? Is the camera still considered new after a sensor replacement?<br>

b. Take legal action against the dealer if they offer the repaired camera?<br>

c. Start sending emails out to the company management (this is a large global company) and start escalating the issue and be firm about the fact that I will only accept a New camera as a replacement or ask for a refund.<br>

d. Start Blogging on public websites and the dealers social networking sites and disclose the company name and the damage they have caused (I have it from this dealer in writing that the camera was damaged during cleaning)<br>

.<br>

Appreciate your feedback.</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I would accept the repaired camera back if that's the way they go.</p>

<p>The most reasonable thing is to insist that the dealer pay for the repair and never let them touch your sensor again. Demanding a new camera is probably not going to happen, and all you really want/need is your camera working perfectly, right?</p>

<p>Don't trash-talk the dealer until you are sure they won't work with you.</p>

<p>While I get your grief and ager, I would take as first step: take a deeeeep breath, and give them a chance to settle this problem.<br>

To disclose: I work in (technical) support, in another industry, so I might have a slight bias, but I also learnt what does and does not work. <br />And what does work best, in my view, is being reasonable. In having a loan unit available immediate, I think they are showing that they understand your need, and they are doing the right thing there. In handing you in writing they damaged your sensor, they are being very upfront and take their responsibility. Actually, as far as I can judge, the store is treating you very correct.<br />Being very demanding towards them is not going to change much: they have their policies and if they are a big store, they've probably studied whether they are compliant with applicable consumer laws.<br>

Options B and D are only there if they completely fail to offer a proper solution; option C in my view is horribly overrated in being effective; as is option D - it could also backfire at you. Important to understand: one starts escalating when the offered solution isn't proper. Escalating as a near-first step makes you only come across as a very shouty, impatient and overly demanding customer. People will loose patience and goodwill that way - and that will not serve you.<br>

Which leaves option A. I would accept the camera back but be very very critical in inspecting it, and spend quite a lot of photos to ensure it's all OK again. And, if a repair is done right, why wouldn't it be as new again? And to be honest: the camera was not brand new, you used it for around 4 months. It is <em>as new</em>, and if the repair facility does its work right, it will be as new still.<br>

So, the point where you state: "I<em> will only accept a New camera as a replacement or ask for a refund</em>" - all OK, but I severly doubt the law will agree with you. Most EU consumer laws wouldn't, AFAIK.</p>

<p>Personally, I think the store is treating you right, and you have to give them a chance to deliver their solution. If they fail to deliver, you still have ample means (options C and B combined) to get the situation resolved, but given what you described, you have no strong case against them at this very moment, as they are showing they are correcting their fault and accept responsibility.</p>

<p>I'd ask for some sort of compensation at their expense which wouldn't immediately hit them financially.. a 25% discount coupon on a future purchase with no $$ limit, or a warranty extension on your D3, freight prepaid, or a 3 year accident coverage.... whichever's most bang for the buck for you. in addition to the perfectly repaired d3, of course</p>

<p>Let the process play out before trashing them or threatening anything. </p>

<p>If they come back and say - "We're not covering any of it" then look at choices, but for now they appear to be admitting that they caused a problem with it and are taking steps to fix the problem. </p>

<p>They could have very easily handed the camera back to you saying there was nothing wrong with it then you taken it and shot with it and lost valuable images. At which point you would have been stuck trying to prove it wasn't something you did to the camera vs their cleaning. </p>

<p>On the surface - they appear to be operating above board with you and while I understand that you wish they had just swapped it out with another new D3s - that's not the way most companies will work - if the damage is caused by an action vs a defect. </p>

<p>To answer your specific questions in order: <br>

a) 1. Yes - If the repair was done by Nikon - I would accept it back. 2. The camera is considered used the moment you paid for it and removed it from the box. There is no reset on newness. <br>

b) No. Why? they've repaired your camera and fixed the problem they caused. I might send them an e-mail saying that they really need to teach their techs how to clean sensors. <br>

c) No. <br>

d) No. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your prompt response and your honest & detailed feedback. <br>

I agree that the dealer is acting in a professional manner; they are professionals who have been in the business for over 75 years. <br>

I met with a couple of professional photographers (who have been dealing with this dealer for 30 years), they feel I should fight for a replacement. They are certain that a camera that has had it's sensor replaced is not the same as a camera with an original sensor (I'm not sure how true that statement is).<br>

I'm relatively new into the field of photography and am not sure if, once the sensor is replaced, it would develop other issues (given that the sensor requires the taking apart and reassembling of the entire camera unit). So I do like the idea of asking for the accident coverage or the extended warranty as suggested by Indraneel.<br>

The dealer would be sending the camera over to Nikon this week. I guess Nikon's turnaround time in the UK is under 2 weeks. So it may be a few days before I know what the dealers response is to resolving this issue. I will keep this forum up-to date.</p>

<p>Everyone seems to be a little too conciliatory today. I mean, an almost new (and very expensive) camera, they break it... and the best they can do is to send it off to Nikon for repair? You don't want a repaired camera unless you're the one who broke it. I sure wouldn't, anyway.</p>

<p>Hypothetically, if the sensor failed on its own at any time during the warranty period, Nikon's sole obligation is to repair/replace the sensor. As long as the new sensor will be covered for the remaining time under Nikon's originally warranty, what difference would it make?</p>

<p>This is not a work of art where a repair could never be equal in all ways to the original piece. You have an electronic instrument. A new sensor properly installed by the manufacturer should perform exactly as a brand new camera performs. Your camera is just a tool to get a job done. <br>

While it is unfortunate you had to go through this experience, the dealer is doing everything they can to make things right.</p>

<p>As Pierre says you can attempt to obtain a replacement camera, but I would suspect that is very unlikely to happen. In the meantime you will have wasted a lot of energy and got very upset to no avail.</p>

<p>If you want to consider that route though, I would suggest you contact your local Trading Standards department and ask for their advice, you can also ask a solicitor for guidance. Many solicitors will give initial advice free of charge and I assure you, you will find one who will quite easily, you will then be clear over your legal position before making a decision on how to proceed.</p>

<p>Whether the repaired camera is different to one with an original sensor is not an argument I can follow. If your camera sensor had failed due to amanufacturing defect, it is my understanding that if this had happened within the first 30 days after purchase you are entitled under law to a replacement or a full refund as the item was not of merchantable quality. If the failure is after 30 days you are only entitled to a repair. If the failure had happened whilst the camera was in your possession you would be in exactly thesame position as you are likely to be in now in having a repaired unit.<br>

<br />I know the situation is not the same as having the camera damaged through somebody’s apparent negligence but in reality your situation is no different to having a warranty repair.</p>

<p>As I have grown older I have found my attitude is somewhat more pragmatic, I now think of what I am likely to achieve if I push things. If you are advised by legal professionals that you are entitled to a replacement go down that route. If you are not entitled to a replacement consider how you approach the situation, by all means put forward your argument as to why the dealer should replace the camera, but if they are obviously not going to, bear in mind you will have the opportunity to forge ameaningful relationship with the dealer or completely destroy it.</p>

<p>You could ask the store to extend the original warranty by four months (the time between your purchase and the return of the repaired camera to you), essentially resetting the original warranty. That is, if Nikon does not already do that as part of their repair warranty conditions. You could argue that the repair increases the risk of future problems for you. Within one year you would know if the repair harmed the camera or not.<br>

The entire situation is really unfortunate considering that the store offered this cleaning service for free.</p>

<p>I think I would try to get them to "eat" the camera. In other words, get them to give you a brand new one and let them worry about dealing with or selling as "Nikon Refurbished" the one that they screwed up. Who worked on it that they advertized a professional cleaning and then ruined your sensor? That person should have some responsibility here too. As far as "free", it wasn't free at all. You had to spend 100 UK money in order to get the cleaning. Ehhhh, stand your ground and be firm.</p>

<p>I working making prototypes at Keystone Camera and have see what a camera assembly line looks like.. While a keytone is by no means a D3 I too would ask for a new camera..<br /> I wonder how many cheaper cameras this tech messed up and sent out the door..<br /> The best testing and assembly equipmment is is at Nikon Japan on the assembly line..<br /> There is a bunch of flat platic mylar wire that work best when used once. <br />Some parts are soldered to these flat wires and others are clamped in.. They always work best when used once.. That might mean taking the whole camera a part on a work bench and putting it bback together.. Not putting it back together in the designed fixtures on the assembly line like when it was made ..<br /> My guess is they will not go for the new camera but I would ask for an extened warranty..</p>

<p>I would wait until the camera comes back. With luck, it will be 'better than new', in that a technician will have adjusted and calibrated the autofocus to work with the new sensor, etc. I would ask for a one-year extension to the warranty, but not make TOO much fuss if I didn't get it.</p>

<p>I understand your concerns, after spending that much money on a camera, only to have a "professional cleaning" damage it. Where ELSE did the cleaning fluid go ? Is there anything else that was affected that they don't know about yet ? Until you use the camera a bunch, and nothing is a miss, you will have doubts in the back of your mind.</p>

<p>I would check local laws to see if you are entitled to a replacement. If not, I would make sure the camera was sent to NIKON for repair, not another "authorized" place. The Nikon repair techs are factory trained and will give it a full check out, not just replace the sensor and close it up. Yes, there are lots of tiny connectors and ribbon cables, but they are designed to be removed and reinserted. I work on computers and laptops and anything new from Apple all have the same sort of things and repaired computers work just fine.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If Nikon repairs the camera at no cost or dealer's cost just take it and forget about it....<br>

I will tell you my own experience..... I live in Japan and my friend gave me a 17 inches MacBook Pro.... Well, he gave me the money for it.... I ordered on the net from The Apple store..... A customized machine, top of the line..... 2 weeks later it arrived from China....<br>

As soon as I set it up I noticed there was something wrong with the screen. I called Apple and they offered me to exchange it for a brand new one and it would take another 2 weeks or repair it in Japan and I would get it back within a few days. They also explained to me that if i wanted a brand new one there was a chance that there could be something wrong with it again BUT if they repair mine in Japan they would fix it and return it to me in working order after being tested.<br>

They came to pick it it up on a Thursday morning and on Saturday afternoon I got it back. That was almost 2 years ago and my computer works like a charm until now.<br>

There is nothing wrong with a machine that has been fixed, as long if it is fixed by the maker. It is just a tool or a machine. <br>

Just get it back with a new sensor and never think about it.... Good luck! Cheers!</p>

<p>I would write a letter to the highest executive of this company. Tell this person that while you are appreciative of the fact that this particular retail outlet has taken responsibility for the damage to your camera, and has sent it to Nikon for repair, you would feel more comfortable with an exchange for a new camera. Be polite and to the point.</p>

<p>Let Nikon fix it. Check lots of functions, pixel peep some shots, and test focus with your lenses (Michael D.'s advice is good). If you find a real problem and Nikon fixes that, you are ahead of where you were before the cleaning.<br>

With any equipment I tell myself that I might drop it. Various risks make the cost of ownership higher than the initial outlay. You are relatively new to photography and spent a large sum. Some of your understandable consternation might arise out of this situation.</p>