Selling Photos with Brand Logos

<p>If I take pictures of things such as vehicles or buildings with a visible logo (vehicle badges, business signage, e.g.) or person, would I need any sort of permissions to sell those pictures, primarily as digital images to end users for personal non-business use? if a logo is not visible, but the object's design is clearly unique to a specific brand, but not necessarily a logo (the distinctive grill of a BMW, for example or even just the shape of a car), would that still apply if there is such a restriction?<br>

Could the logo be blurred or Photoshopped out if it does cause copyright issues? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes. You would need a property release, similar to a model release.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's overly broad (especially for personal non third party selling use). Since the line where permission is needed is so murky, it is the safe way to go however. As to images where there are incidental designs of objects seen, there is even less need and the industry would be much different that it actually is if there were a blanket requirement for permission. It may be needed, however, in some situations such as those involving copyright protected sculpture and the occasional IP protected properties.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes. You would need a property release, similar to a model release.<br /><a href="http://www.alamy.com/customer/help/releases.asp" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.alamy.com/customer/help/releases.asp</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That link relates to commercial use (as in advertising/promotion/marketing of a service, product, company or cause). The OP isn't selling images for commercial use. </p>

<p>I'm not sure what personal non-business use is. Many websites have an objective of selling-or trying to sell- something. And I'm struggling to work out why someone might want to pay to use an image if there is no commercial angle- maybe to make a print? or illustrate the interior of a book they're writing? <br>

I do know as a stock agency contributor that I'm told to get rid of all logo, serial numbers, number-plate markings and so on. Equally I know that there are some products/buildings where even a hint, without a logo, is regarded by agencies as a no-no. In other cases its less of an issue if the item concerned is not a dominant part of the scene, or if you have a property release. Clearly these agencies have legal support which tends to result in their creative staff- often young and not terribly knowledgeable- being too conservative, but the point here is that its the worst possible scenario for you and your potential customers - sometimes a real problem; sometimes not, and hard to tell which without specific knowledge and research. I doubt whether you could give your customers categoric reassurance that they would not be in trouble with a copyright holder or property owner. </p>

<p>But as I said at the outset, you might have a "market" here that's easy to define in words but in practical terms is much harder to find. </p>

<p>The easiest way to think about it is....<br>

If the product you are selling is that actual image (a print of a person/product) or a digital file for someone to make a print to put on their wall - no release is required.<br>

If the image is being used to sell some other product then the person using it needs a model release or a release from the brand owner.</p>