Selling photographs through a retailer

craig_s

I'm working on selling some of my prints through a retail store. They have asked for some samples and a catalog, which I've almost got

ready. The last thing that I need to include is my terms. All of my photographs will be custom framed. I will soon have a website and I'd

like to be able to sell my photos through my website as well, but I still want them available through the retail store.

What should I include in my terms? I've never done this before.

I'm not sure I understand your question, it sounds like your mixing things up a bit between rights managed and

selling a final product to a retail outlet. Or, are you considering a commission deal with this store? You said

you would be selling framed images so there are no terms? sell them the framed images, get the cash, pay your

bills with it and what's left over is yours to keep. . . they then get to do whatever they want (that's legal)

with the framed pieces.

Heck they could burn them, store them, or sell them for 10 times what they paid for them if they have the market.

It's just like selling any other product. . .

Maybe if you get more specific I could offer more help. . .

Tony

If you are selling your prints to a store, a standard retail agreement will suffice. You are selling your product to a store, typically at half what they will sell them for. The agreement has to cover items like payment terms, return policy, minimum quantities, etc. If you are putting them in on consignment, that's a little different. Take a look at gallery agreements, that's probably the best model.

Regarding selling yourself also, that's dependent on what type of agreement you write. Unless the retailer is asking for exclusive rights, there's no reason not to sell through other avenues, including your own web site. Retailers rarely insist on exclusive rights to sell.

If by terms you mean in regard to rights to the image, typically print sales are restricted to display only. The image can't be

sold for publication or duplicated. Which also means the retailer couldn't slap your print on their color copier and pass them

around nor sell the copies.

When I see framed prints for sale, there's always a contact for the photographer, be it a business card or other listing of who

took the photo and how to contact them. It might lead to other work beyond the sale of prints.

-Ed

I rent a floor and wall space in a small shop to sell my framed photographs. I also have some prints in other shops

on consignment. I like the rented space, I can controll it better, as far as layout. I also attach a business card to

the back of the photograph. But I don't sell to a retailer, only because past experience, they wanted exclusive rights

for one of my photos. If they purchase your framed images, with no strings attached I agree with Tony.

Carol