Self-portrait of amateur

<p >It might be boring for some. I am not looking for any particular advice and writing this more for myself and some ones who are like me. It is more philosophy than technicality for me. </p>

<p >I belong for the end of baby boom generation so I am in my early 50<sup>th</sup>. Not born in US but living here for 20 years. I own my business almost all those years and it is highly technical, extremely complicated and demanding in terms of constant learning new technology which is changing almost every day in my field. It related to customer service and requires me to work 6 days a week in excess of 50 hours. Even more, I have to do something during Sundays also, usually service computers and stuff like that. I wake up around 5 AM everyday and spending 3 hours before work to research and learn my professional field. I like my business, it keeps my head occupied and I love challenge. I am making a dissent living and a year ago have found a new technical solution in my field. I added this as a service which I propose over the Internet and it is quite a success. It raised my income about 25%. I live alone but I still have a lot of obligations to fulfill and I am not a stingy person money comes and go and I newer amassed any significant amount of them in my coffins. </p>

<p >I am absolutely not an artistic person, but have deep respect to others who poses a talent and I love classic music and impressionism if it comes to visual art. I was working with photography in my youth with film camera and dark rooms. In nowadays I used to have few POS digitals but did not keep them for long, not having any equipment for last few years. But photography always attracted me and I was contemplating to get something decent for couple of years. This spring I asked some professional friends in my business for an advice what to buy in area of 1000-1500 range. At the time of my post about a subject I knew almost nothing about it. I got bunch of advices and paid attention to full frame sensor camera. So I have bought Canon 5D Mk2 with a couple of kit lenses and start shooting. And I started to read photo forums to get educated. So now, at 5AM I am reading mostly about photography and much less about my work. Which might be good, I was feeling like I am into too much work and not too much into something for myself specifically. I got hooked on photography. I have realized how complicated and interesting it can be, thank you for everyone who posted on this site. It is amazing how people are willing to explain and help others. </p>

<p >Photography somehow changed my view, now I am paying attentions to the world around me more than before. People watching was always my favorite pastime and now I am looking into light, reflections, perspectives everywhere I go. It is interesting and refreshing. I have bought 3 Canon L lenses (used) and know I have to buy more. So with intentions of spending 1.5K I am already at 7K total and I will fill myself comfortable probably after spending twice more. BTW I also bought PIXMA 9500 printer and Spider calibration suite for monitor and printer. </p>

<p >I do not feel myself competent enough to ask a particular question on this forum, I know before asking for an advice one have to do his homework and I did not finish my yet. I have few my pictures which I like and one of them in my profile. Before I post second one I have to learn a lot about post processing and general photo techniques. </p>

<p >No, I am not planning in any distant future to quit my daytime job but I am looking forward to see my progress in this field. But anyway a new hobby already gave me so much more than I have before and I glad to see changes in my view of the world. </p>

<p>The good or bad news as you move beyond the fifties is that you will probably get new eyes, photography or not!<br /> The good part of it is that new lenses for cataracts etc., and modern laser surgery and all make keeping your eyesight a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.</p>

<p>I speak as one who does have new eyes. :)</p>

<p>Patrick<br>

II am now in a stage where I am collecting information from all possible sources, learning to use equipment and post processing. I have so many holes in my knowledge that is it too early to ask any particular advice. In almost every discussion I am finding something helpful for my learning process. I am a real professional in other area and I know how important to research before asking. Thank you wiliness to help, when I will be ready to formulate any meaningful question I will not hesitate.</p>

<p>Theodore<br>

Thank you. I believe in hard work and persistence. Regardless of outcome process itself is rewarding for individual who are trying.</p>

<p>John<br>

Very true, I can concur even at this stage.</p>

<p>Jose</p>

<p >You are right sometime we are working just because we can… It might sound strange but it is not always better even for our work. Next my step will be probably to cut my working week 5 days. <br>

<p>Bernard<br>

As a person who has a lot of dramatic and even tragic events in my life I believe in every hard to understand decision we are imposing on ourselves there is a deep meaning beyond of our comprehension. Sometime we have to speak out about or listen others people stories to sort everything out.</p>

<p>JDM<br>

After long years of neglecting myself I came to conclusion that’s a time to pay more attention to my needs and who know maybe next step will be a surgical procedure. Thanks God, brains are not replaceable yet, so I will not overstep certain boundaries.</p>

</p>