Seen in the city

gene m

Never been in Auschwitz, I saw a heap of junk and thought about waste of resources, protection of the environment and so on. Probably I'm more puzzled by todays problems.

But the image of the shoes made me think, and what more praise can I give to anything?

Volker

Mike Connealy -- That makes two of us. But in my case, only for an instant. Glad (or perhaps more accurately, "relieved" or "reassured") that you commented on it, though.

Peter - No extra film in the bag? In the pocket? Available on the corner? C'mon, man! For a photographer with your exceptional eye, there is simply no vacation from that requirement. Strong letter to follow.

regards -

Michael

I still don't get it. Barbed wire fences, wound iron gates, striped pyjamas, the bunker Valentin some 15 miles down the Weser, the new synagogue and the old jewish cemetary, ok, that tells me a story of what happend some 60 to 70 years ago around here. Possibly I'm surrounded by to much history to connect a pile of sneakers to the Holocaust.

I think I have to ask for permission to shoot some sensible places like the new synagogue in Bremen, but I´ll try to make a presentation of jewish culture here.

Volker

Yes, Volker, that's it. The collected shoes are infamous. Such a display is, I'm nearly certain, part of the permanent collection/display space at the US Memorial Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC.

Also, I offer a word of encouragement on your idea to photograph sites of significance currently to the Jewish community in your area.

Lastly, and I'll try not to belabor the point in this photography setting, I grew up in a home where we simply did not buy German products. Such was the depth of anger during my 1950's and 60's childhood. I know my home wasn't unique in this respect.

This anger and revulsion -- directed really at all things German -- is something I am NOT teaching my children. It would send the message that the guilt is heritable from one generation to the next, that there's just nothing Germans or Germany can do (or have done) to change things, and I absolutely reject both those claims.

Indeed, during my civil rights work in Chicago, some of it focused upon modern hate groups and the bias crimes they perpetrate, I found common ground and valued perspectives when I dealt with German contemporaries.

I'll climb down from my soapbox now. Volker, if you're interested in taking -- and able to take -- the photos you mentioned, I'll be eager to see them.

Michael