Seeking a Master's degree, need advice

chelsea_wright

To any who have advice:

I graduated a few years ago with a BA, focus in photography, GPA 3.11. I have a diverse portfolio, (a good one, I

think), my own website, a great digital slr and am comfortable with my technical skills, in camera and in the

darkroom. I am seeking a master's degree at a school that can help me focus my thoughts and enable me to better

express my mind through my images. I also seek the degree itself.

At present, I find myself overwhelmed trying to choose a school, figure out loans or grants, and get my portfolio

ready for review. I also feel at a loss for information about respected photography and fine art schools and pros

and cons of particular schools. I am concerned about earning an MFA without a BFA. I am concerned about my GPA.

I am open to any and all advice people would like to offer about any of my quandaries. Thank you in advance for

any contributions!

Chelsea, if you don't have a BFA, you might have to take some undergraduate courses along with the graduate courses before the school will confer the MFA. That was the case with my master's in journalism. Many of my graduate classmates were taking undergrad courses simultaneously. It can add a year or more to your curriculum, if the MFA mafia follow that same model. Check on that thoroughly at each school you investigate.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea,

I have a MA in Photography from Governors State University in Illinois. This was really an MA in Media Communications

with an emphasis in Photography (48 semester hours/one class of which was in television as a required cognate), but I think

they no longer offer the program. I loved working on my degree and was a graduate assistant and head of their photography

gallery – 3rd largest in the Chicago land area. The best part was going to school with all the other students who were very

serious about photography. That is where much of the education really took place, especially late at night at the local bar.

The professors were great, too. I lived photography about 10 hours a day – mostly 7 days a week for 2 years. The most fun I

ever had. I was then accepted in their MFA program. I was to be the 1st MFA candidate with photography as an emphasis.

Needless to say I was excited. The job I had was done away with and I had to leave the state to take another job. I went on

to other degrees, but lost the chance to pursue what I really wanted in life. Life goes on. Sometimes we don’t get a second

chance at our dreams. Enough about me. Let’s get back to what is important: You.

Chelsie - I an told this will too long to fit. There must be a limit as to length? I will stop here and put the rest a little further down. It will say:

Chelsie,

Continuation of Mark's ramblings --

Let me make a couple of suggestions (recommendations-ideas):

1. Figure out why you want more education in photography. This will help you decide where/if you should go. Also, is

location important? Can you move around the country or are you tied down to where you are – family – money – job – other

obligations (cute boyfriend), etc.

2. Do you want to end up teaching art or photography at the university level? An MFA is a terminal degree in art and has

the same status - at least in the artistic circle’s world, as a PhD. It depends if you want to be treated as an artist or an

academic. If you want to be a photographer with a masters degree it doesn’t really matter what kind of degree you get – or if

you actually get a degree - satisfy your own inner needs. Study the great masters or the local photographer whose work you

admire and do your thing. There is no right way – there is only the right way for you!

3. Your GPA is not too bad. To get into an artsy program at a good university (this means a university that will help you

learn what you want to learn or open the doors for you in life that you want openned) you will need a decent portfolio of your

work. Portfolio ideas: a. provide a variety of subjects - this is important: it shows you have many interests and that you can

do more than just one thing, but have a concentration that is really good (like: portraits, plants, architecture, social

commentary – wherever is your interest and expertise) b. put everything on a CD or DVD – include only what you and others

who are honest about your work think is great, not what your boyfriend or your mother thinks is good (you know they know

you can do no wrong!). c. Wow them with a slide-show of your specialty – show that you are really artistic and can create

something that will impress them – show you are not the ordinary photo student – that you are serious and different – put

your slide show to music, with transitions on the beat and go from black to black – beginning and end – include a short

biography and do a voice over – tell a story: your story – your hopes and dreams – why you want to be a photographer and

what you want out of school and life ---- if done well your GPA will be of secondary importance and they will be begging and

paying you for the honor of letting go to their university (or at least they might let you start on a trial basis).

If you wish to discuss this with me more or would like some help with putting your portfolio together please feel free to

contact me. If I can help you I will or at least provide more suggestions. Advice is cheap and you get what you pay for! All

kidding aside, I’ll be happy to help and good luck to you in your future. ....go for your dreams

Mark