See Me...

PapaTango

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I love fairs, carnivals, and festivals--as this is where people let their hair down and shine through.

If I know that the shooting is after dark, my rig consists of the camera mounted on a flash frame, with a 6x9" softbox. The process is to wander around until something catches my eye. Then I move closer, but not directly. When I "feel" the moment coming, I will pre-zoom the frame at something else--and quickly turn and capture the intended image. Unbelievably, I seem to get my best work done when I have been to the beer stand a few times... :rolleyes:

This young lady was operating a ring toss game. Ducks float on the water, and the goal is to get the ring around their necks. A melding of advertising and whimsey.

Post-process was pretty clear-cut. I rid the background of distractions in the upper third. Burned or dodged appropriately--and adjusted exposure. It just works.

To answer @ericphelps request, have a look at some others from this series here:

Humans Being

• Like 2

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Congrats, @PapaTango! I hadn't realized that the photo was an 'informal' street portrait. I've even more impressed! Your 'subject' is wonderfully chosen and the photo is wonderfully timed.

Her expression and eye contact (even without the hat!) make for a powerful photo. The duck on her head makes the photo very special and very intriguing. It makes me wonder what on earth the 'duck hat' has to do with the woman. Thanks for explaining but the explanation is not necessary to appreciate the photo. I really do love the way that the woman (with hat!) is exposed against the dark background. It really makes her stand out.

IHMO, the photo is perfectly timed, perfectly framed/cropped, and perfectly exposed. I can't suggest any PP other than what you have already done.

I'm in awe!