SD card capacities and the Nikon D50

jdrose

I use 1 GB's because they hold 135 images in RAW form (actually a tad more when it's filled up) and I like to have multiple cards on hand in case one fries out on me. I would rather lose a smaller card with less images then a larger card with 2 weeks of images. Plus a smaller card encourages me to empty them more frequently, therefore making me want to fill them up again that much more.

Honestly I don't know about the D50's max SD size, though I would guess it is 2GB since that is what the high end was when the D50 came out. Maybe a firmware update will fix this, if you are having problems still, but firmwares are rare and mostly for widespread issues that seriously affect the cameras usage. I would think being forced to use 2 GB cards instead of 4 GB cards wont spur Nikon to update the firmware and risk having people screw up their cameras by doing something silly whilst updating.

PS I just checked the nikon website for myself and there are no firmare updates for the D50 yet....

Read this too

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13979&p_created=1147286279&p_sid=zkzCucmi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjkmcF9wcm9kcz0xOSwyMDYmcF9jYXRzPTE3OCZwX3B2PTIuMjA2JnBfY3Y9MS4xNzgmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9Mg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

The D50 does not support SDHC (high capacity) while the D80 does. Therefore, technically, you cannot use 4G SD cards on the D50.

However, according to Rob Galbraith's test results, if you format a 4G card elsewhere, you can use it on the D50. See footnote #4 at the bottom of this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7905

Again, since the D50 does not support SDHC, 2G is its limit. However, while you cannot format a 4G SD card on the D50 itself, Rob Galbraith found out that he can use one on the D50 if you format it elsewhere.

The D80 supports SDHC and therefore works with 4G and up SD cards.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...